Help!! USC, UMiami, GTown, Amherst, Haverford!

<p>I was accepted at USC, UMiami (Florida), and Haverford....waitlisted at Amherst and Georgetown. I am going to be getting a full-tuition scholarship at UMiami, and decent grant money at USC and Haverford, but obviously not as much as at Miami. </p>

<p>I was really hoping to get into a few of the Ivies I applied to, but at the same time, they don't offer many of the areas I am interested in. I like the breadth that USC and Miami offer, in terms of top academics, spirited sports schools, sports management and film programs. I'm a bit worried about the reputation of USC and Miami though. Will they be challenging enough academically? Is there reputation 'good' enough? Obviously the Ivy League's are the top of the top, but is a diploma from USC or Miami too far below, or are they getting closer as the years go by?</p>

<p>I am going to be taking a gap year, so I always have the option of reapplying next year. I have the full-ride at Miami this year, but I could reapply to try and get a better scholarship at USC, and also to try and get in to Yale or Columbia. Any suggestions regarding reapplying, in terms of increased/decreased chances, etc?</p>

<p>I have no clue where I will go, and I cannot even decide between the schools I got into this year. I originally was set on Ivies, because of rigor, reputation, facilities, etc, but am now reconsidering, as they don't offer the more fun and creative classes/atmosphere that USC/Miami provide.</p>

<p>Any help/advice regarding these schools would be greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>By reputation I think USC would be a better option, but overall I guess it depends what you're majoring in. I've heard, though, that Miami is getting better and better every year, increasing their standards and all that...so I guess it's growing. Dunno about USC's progress though.</p>

<p>As for reputation, USC has the better reputation in the west coast and Miami has the better reputation in the east coast. The truth is that they are about even. </p>

<p>I need to know more about your intended major. If you are majoring in film, USC's program greatly dwarfs that of Miami. In fact, for film and cinematic studies, USC is one of the top schools in the US. If you are talking about Sports Management, they are about equal.</p>

<p>Personally, if the major offerings are about the same, I would pick the school that gives the overall lowest cost. Also, I know Miami is in a great, SAFE area. I don't know if this is true for USC.</p>

<p>Bottom line: pick the school with the lowest cost. Get a top notch GPA and NEVER LOOK BACK. I think you can be happy at either school and challenged at either school. Don't fool yourself into thinks that because you had super SATs and maybe higher SATs than those of other kids that you will automatically do better than they or will achieve higher GPA. In many cases this isn't true!</p>

<p>taxguy:
I am interested in majoring in something like Sports Management, with potentially a minor in film, or business.</p>

<p>If that is your plan, then I would say definitely UMiami. </p>

<p>Also, too late now, but you should've applied to other schools like Syracuse and Northwestern.</p>

<p>No, Miami is better than Syracuse for both Sports Management and weather and frankly, overall culture. Now Northwestern is another story.</p>

<p>Amherst and then Georgetown are light years ahead of the others, which are still very good schools. Amherst is one of the top 10 undergrad educations available.</p>

<p>i stand corrected, sir</p>

<p>I chose UMiami but I'd have a hard time picking it over Georgetown. What you have to do is do a campus visit and see what school fits you best. You will be surprised at how the feel of a school can really effect where you want to go. You might get to your dream school and realize it isn't for you.</p>

<p>Academically Georgetown, Amherst, and USC are stronger than Miami; however they are very different environments including weather. I would talk to students at each that are majoring in what you want to major in.</p>

<p>My son goes to Cornell. He loves it there. However, it is expensive. If you have a full scholarship take it. Miami is rated #50 in the US. That is respectable. Good luck!!! My younger son would like to go to Miami. Could you please tell me what your Stats were.</p>

<p>SAT: 2210
GPA: approx 4.5 weighted
AP: one 5, 6 fours
4 year varsity sports</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. You have done well!</p>