Help with Architecture Interest

oh oh oh ! me!! me me!! i am living what you are talking about!!! and have truly appreciated momrath’s handholding not too long ago!! :heart:

my kid went to midwest state school, BS in arch 4 yr degree; now is getting M.Arch at RISD; not an ivy but a good school. She’s hoping that name will help her with jobs when she graduates. ? Here’s something big to think about: What we’ve been told at all of the schools we’ve toured for undergrad (not graduate as it was covid times) is that firms hire pretty regionally. midwest firms take alot of midwest grads; chicago takes chicago area grads; NorthEast takes lots of NE grads; etc. etc. So along with all the nuggets of advice; that’s something you might want to ask your child; where they ultimately want to end up.

we can honestly not tell if top degrees hold more weight than a BArch. time will tell; we’ll report back after she graduates this june!

1 Like

That would be great! Just in time for when my junior will be getting ready to consolidate his college list over the summer!

Can’t wait to hear about her post graduate plans. Good luck to her final year!

1 Like

Architecture is a broad field, with many niches, specialties and corollaries. Same goes for an architecture education, so it’s hard to generalize.

The choice between the BArch and the BA/BS+MArch is purely personal. Some high schoolers are ready to make the commitment that the BArch demands, and are able to start successful careers as architects in their 20’s. Some – for various reasons – e.g. interests in other fields, not enough information about what architecture entails – would rather use their undergraduate years exploring a range of academics. Some of my son’s colleagues in his MArch program previously studied and/or worked in different fields altogether, like tech, sociology, engineering.

The cost difference between the two routes can be substantial. Though some funding is available, the MArch tends to be an expensive degree (relative to architecture salaries) and it’s important to take this into consideration when choosing the undergraduate school.

The downside of the BArch is its high drop out rate, I think due to a poor conception of what an architecture education entails. The artsy, creative types find the tech/science aspects daunting; the tech/science types find the studios, especially the critiques, stressful.

My son, who graduated from Williams with a dual degree in art studio and art history, considered both a career in museum work and architecture. After graduation he worked for a couple of years in the marketing department of a design-focused architecture firm, then got his MArch from Cornell.

Cornell is the only Ivy that offers the BArch. Yale, Harvard, Penn and Columbia as well as MIT, Berkeley, WUSTL, Virginia, UMich and other high profile schools of architecture only offer the MArch, though they all have some permutation of a BA/BS that may lead directly to the MArch (though not necessarily at the same institution).

Yes and no. I would concur with @bgbg4us that firms tend to hire locally, some to the extent that they only hire from their preferred schools (often the partners’ alma maters). My observation is that summer internships and connections made through professors and visiting critics are the most critical element in landing a post-graduation permanent job.

It’s quite common for BA/BS grads to work in architecture (for example in marketing or the model shop) for a year or two before heading back to school for their master’s. It’s also increasingly common for BArch holders to layer on an MArch later in their careers – for further technical or design training or just for a more name-recognized degree.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents to OP…
D is in a 3rd yr in a 5 yr BArch program. Price was a major consideration for us and our flagship state school had a 4 year BS not a BArch. (We don’t qualify for FA and didn’t want the kids to take out any loans for UG.) She was a very good well rounded student with a high SAT score and high GPA -and got was very lucky and got a full tuition scholarship (DHS) to Tulane’s BArch program. This ends up costing much less than your stated budget for 5 years (and now she doesn’t have to go to grad school if she doesn’t want to).
She also was also accepted to Northeastern (not a ton of scholarship money around 12K a year- so that was still an expensive option) , and Penn State- where she got their top offer- also not a lot of money and Syracuse offered her 1/2 off tuition for 5 years. She also got into Notre Dame- but no merit aid was offered since I assume all kids stats were high anyway so she was just an “average” applicant in thier pool, and when we asked for more money they didn’t budge) So my point is from my experience, the private schools might be cheaper than the public if you are way above their average stats for GPA and SAT applicant you may want to try that route.
Also - during her first semester she thought she might change her major due to the intensity of it- so it is important to chose a school that they would be happy with regardless of whether they stick with the major or not.
Good Luck with your daughter.

3 Likes

Do you think they considered her ECs, besides her high GPA and SAT, when they offered her these excellent scholarships?

It seems Architecture ECs are a little harder to come by?

What did your daughter do to help her decide that she wants to go into architecture? You mentioned that she thought about switching major. What helped her to decide to stick with it?

Thank you!

I am not sure what they took into account. She wrote a funny essay, was a high school athlete, and held a part time job, so there were other things that had nothing to do with architecture. The scholarships weren’t specific architecture scholarships, but rather specific to the school scholarships, Tulane she had to apply for scholarship separately. But when they award the scholarship it says if you are in a 5 year program (such as BArch or Accounting 5 year) they will honor it for all 5 years. I looked at the merit scholarships for all the schools she was applying to see what they offered and if she needed a separate application- so I did alot of legwork on her account- but she did the work and applied to them.

Daughter was like most people in this page- was a good artist, loved art, but she was also smart in math and played with legos, so architecture seemed like a natural fit. Plus we said we are not paying for an pure art degree.

I think it was more of a commitment than she expected- time wise. Plus, just because you work on something for a long time doesn’t guarantee an A, so its not like if you study for a long time- things usual pay off- so that was a hard adjustment. She was also weighing should I have fun and have more time to do other things like clubs and see her non-architecture friends. Plus that first semester they did things that they do in the summer programs (which other kids had been in but she hadn’t) and she didn’t feel like she was doing good work. But the second semester they started with the computer design and she was good at that- and she’s pretty competitive so i think she gained some confidence and decided to stay. I had told her when she was struggling with the decision- that she can either “pay now” or “pay later” in grad school. I have no idea if that helped.

just off topic- when we went to Syracuse info session- they did say that they really like kids that do the summer programs (anywhere) because of the high drop out rate of the BArch kids- and its hard to “transfer” into a BArch program.

3 Likes

Thank you. Your feedback is really helpful!

Your D’s path is very similar to my D. She also got into Tulane, Northeastern, Syracuse and others, and ultimately chose Northeastern bc of an amazing scholarship she received based on her portfolio. She loved Tulane’s arch program but could not see herself in NOLA for 5 years… and she got good merit at Syracuse but coming from CA, the harsh winters were too much to think of. Ultimately she had it down to calpoly and NEU but decided to try a new area and never looked back.
NEU has a BS plus one year MARCH if you are on that track. She did two great 6 month coops that were a perfect break from the grind of studio. She had a travel arch class to Italy for a month after her frosh year which was amazing, and a study abroad in third year in Spain. It was a well balanced but challenging program. After 6 full years (one year total on coop) she’s now gainfully employed with a very progressive firm in NYC and has almost all her AXP hours for licensure.
We also encouraged her to go to a regular university in case she wanted to change majors so she had a full array of options. She also did a summer high school program at calpoly for a month after her HS junior year. It was great in that it did expose her to studio (which she LOVED) and realized that arch students are her peeps… artistic, creative, and also math/science problem solver people.we had also told her if she hated it, it was good info rather than spending two years in a regimented arch program in college as not all of that will transfer to other majors. She also got a couple of items for her portfolio from this program but most was other art and creative work she did in HS and on her own.
The HS program also was great in that they helped teach the kids about all the possible pathways to becoming an architect and all the different kinds of programs (design, more art/design based, technical) which I was glad bc the college programs all vary so much. She had a good eye for what she was looking for. I was along for the ride on the visits and found all the programs fascinating. Good luck to others along this journey! (And congrats to your ad getting DHS at Tulane!)

2 Likes

Hi,

So my school wasn’t very large so there wasn’t a vast amount of extracurriculars I could involve myself in that were really architecture related. We did have this one extracurricular called EAST that allowed me to do a lot of community service work utilizing architectural design software, however EAST is mainly Arkansas based. Other than that, I did FBLA, Beta, Student Council, and a couple others extracurriculars but these were the main ones. Even though these weren’t related to architecture, I always tried to do design related activities within these clubs, such as competing in the Graphic Design Event for FBLA or competing in the visual arts category at Beta conventions. Competing well in these activities is what actually made me stand out I believe.

From my knowledge the Fay Jones Design Camp was not competitive when I attended, it may be now I don’t know.

Design Intelligence used to publish surveys of employers and the schools they prefer to hire from. Architecture and LA 2019 and 2020 surveys still available online. She may also be interested in Urban Design or City and Regional Planning. I would look for a strong, accredited program that do not require a masters to be successful as you will unlikely be paid more for a masters. I graduated from Cal Poly SLO and loved it.

Thank you for that information.

May I ask what other programs you applied to and why you ultimately chose USC?

I applied to USC, WashU, Rice, University of Arkansas, University of Cincinnati, Tulane, Georgia Tech, Cornell, UC Berkeley, and Pratt. I also applied to Harvard, Columbia, Princeton, Yale, & UPenn because, at the time of application, I wasn’t entirely sure if I wanted to do a 4-year program or a 5-year professional program.

The only 5-year programs I was accepted into were USC, the University of Arkansas, the University of Cincinnati, Berkeley, and Georgia Tech. I was also accepted into Harvard, Columbia, & UPenn. By the decisions period, I had already decided I wanted to do a 5-year program cause I wanted the studio experience. I chose USC because they gave me a full tuition scholarship, and I really liked the campus when I visited. It just had a better vibe for me in comparison to the other schools I visited if you know what I’m saying.

1 Like

Just a note that UCB is only an BA in Architecture, not a 5 year professional track program. It prepares you for a MARCH program after.

1 Like

Can I ask you what field your son is in. I have a sophomore in college in a similar situation.

I am late joining this thread. I have a DD graduating from a BS architecture program. She had an 80% OOS Tuition scholarship and will have no debt. She is applying to graduate school and has many more financing options (TA, research, scholarships, etc.). Many of her friends are at Ivy’s for graduate work and paying around $11000-$12000/ yr in tuition. At her current school, the MArch program is 3 semesters so she will have a terminal degree for an additional semester (over a B.Arch). Also since her UG was in the state of Ohio her graduate work will be at instate rates at her current school. Schools like UVA, have guaranteed admission to their MArch if you have a 3.3 or higher in UG work. I do know Kansas has a similar program, and you will find with many of the BS Arch programs, admission into the M.Arch is almost guaranteed. We chose a BS over a B.Arch for several reasons. Much less expensive. VT is instate for us, and it was cheaper for her to go OOS and have an extra year of school with her scholarship. M.Arch is terminal so you can teach with it. She also found on many of her Arch firms crawls in various cities, larger firms like to higher M.Arch. We were also unsure if she could handle the curriculum and the BS didn’t push her into a corner if she was to change majors. She was also able to minor in Construction Management with a BS. It is imperative you find a school that brings in employers. Her current school brings in about 100 years (Arch, Interior design, and construction management). For the Architectural schools on social media. You will get a good idea this spring of what kind of job fair attendance they have. (Texas A&M seems to be the largest I have seen) My DD has been working under an architect in the summers and is continuing to work 2 days a week this semester. She absolutely LOVES the career she has chosen. That is extremely important because they will be living in the studio. I see her return around 2 am just about every night from her studio.

2 Likes

Was this recently? DAAP is a 4 yr Pre-professional degree. Bachelor of Science in Architecture - College of Design, Architecture, Art, and Planning | University of Cincinnati

Yes, A BA will require additional classes before starting your Masters. If you want to reduce you time in school, steer away from BAs

Do UVA and Kansas and similar schools have guaranteed admission for anyone at any university who has a 3.3 GPA or higher? Or who came from their own undergrad program? Or who came from a school with a BS in Architecture (and does it matter if it’s from a school that offers an ABET-accredited M. Arch or not)?

No it is specifically for those with a BS in Architecture. Look under the Direct Admit dropdown: Graduate Admissions - University of Virginia School of Architecture

1 Like

Kansas is a little different and unique, you get admitted out of HS into a 5 Yr March program, earning a BS along the way Master of Architecture (5-year) | School of Architecture & Design

1 Like