High Income Hispanics?

<p>I've noticed that some people mention low-income hispanics have an advantage, but won't need finaid anywhere I go to. Does that somehow give me less of a URM boost? I'd imagine at need blind schools, it wouldn't...</p>

<p>I’m not sure I completely understand what you’re asking, so if I’m off base, please clarify your question.</p>

<p>Sometimes when URMs are low income, they are given more leeway as far as grades, tests scores or ECs since they tend to have less opportunities available to them. I would suggest reading these two threads to get a better idea of what factors are considered within the Hispanic cohort:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html?highlight=ivy[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/931488-ivy-league-admissions-nhrps.html?highlight=ivy&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I see that you’re thinking of applying to Duke ED next year. Have you run their COA calculator to get an estimate of how much they might expect you to pay? Do you fully understand that applying ED will prevent you from comparing FA packages with other schools?</p>

<p>Sorry if I was unclear. Thanks for the links, very helpful. </p>

<p>Money is definitely not a concern for me, however, the URM advantage is an issue I am concerned about. As far as the points you made, I am in the highest income bracket ($200k+) from a very affluent community. My high school is nationally ranked. I am a US-born Cuban (mom born in Cuba, dad’s parents born there). I’m very familiar with the culture and will probably write my essays about my ethnicity/culture and the role it plays in my life. One of my EC’s involves directly working with low income, high risk hispanic kids. I will almost definitely be an NHRP, if not a commended scholar with a 205 PSAT.</p>

<p>So what i was wondering is if my URM advantage is somehow less than others because I am in a higher income bracket. My mom has an A.A., my dad an MBA. Both went to CC first, making me the first person in my whole family to go to a 4-year university, if that means anything.</p>

<p>And personally, I think am already a relatively competitive candidate for top 20 schools, provided i can get my sat score up just over the 2200 bump. I am just trying to make out if I get a little boost in those elite schools i may end up applying to.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Your advantage is ‘less’ in the sense that adcoms are unlikely to give you a break on gpa and test scores, or the ability to participate in ECs. But this should not concern you as you state that you have competitive stats. If this is true, I think that my comments on non-disadvantaged applicants from the third and fourth paragraph of post #2 in the first thread I linked to apply directly to your situation. Is there something there that is unclear?</p>

<p>How did your dad got an MBA without a 4 yr UG degree? Anyway, colleges don’t ask if you are first gen, rather, you will describe the college history of each parent and each college will determine if you fit their definition of first gen.</p>

<p>Do take a look at current and past results if you haven’t already. My general take is that you will still retain an advantage, but it is by no means a guarantee when it comes to the most selective colleges.</p>

<p>Thank you, you have been a tremendous help. </p>

<p>my dad went to a small, 2-year senior college that has since expanded to a 4-year university.</p>

<p>Also, if i do not fill out the FAFSA, do I still have to report family income? I could not seem to find anything about on the Common App.</p>

<p>Just FYI, I have a 3.96 UW gpa and 4.48 weighted, with a 2180 superscore sat (2160 single sitting). I might retake in June, I was extremely disappointed with my March SAT scores.</p>

<p>If you choose not to fill out FAFSA and the Profile, you don’t have to report family income for admissions. </p>

<p>Getting NHRP is good, that will put you on the radar of many schools. Your gpa is great and SAT is fine, hopefully you have Subject tests at about the same level and have been taking a courseload that will have your HS GC mark ’ very’ or most’ demanding on the SSR. </p>

<p>Have you looked at the Resources sticky thread at the information about diversity weekend fly-ins? They can be very helpful in showing interest and finding out if a school is right for you.</p>

<p>I’ve seen many results for Hispanic applicants on the recent Results threads on the various individual college forums, I’d highly recommend you take a look at them. They give stats and ECs and often the income level of the applicant’s family.</p>

<p>Finally, if you are interested in LACs at all, there are several that are great schools, but due to their location have a more difficult time recruiting URMs, these could be excellent schools to have on your list. I’m talking about colleges like Carleton, Grinnell, etc.</p>

<p>Best of luck and do continue to participate here on the Hispanic Students forum, a new cycle is just beginning!</p>

<p>If she’s full-pay, couldn’t that help her?</p>

<p>^That’s true, for need aware schools, not applying for FA could be an advantage. I think it could help at a school like WUSTL, not to mention many publics.</p>

<p>Just an update, got a 36 on the ACT (36E, 36M, 34R, 36 S, 10W) and straight a’s to push the UW GPA to 3.98 at W to 4.53…very nervous for the upcoming admissions process.</p>

<p>Congrats on your ACT, sounds like you’re in excellent shape numbers wise. Now concentrate on your essays to bring out what is unique and interesting about you and I’m sure you’ll have lots of excellent options in the spring.</p>

<p>Re: URM advantage. This varies from one school to another. It’s not a one-size-fits-all, especially when admission committees are looking at many factors. For example, being a URM may have more weight if it’s combined with an out-of state application. At some universities and colleges a high income and ability to pay full tuition (or close to it) will be looked at positively.</p>

<p>Hi cg, good to hear from you!</p>

<p>I totally agree and I also address this part of the equation in the second link in post #2.</p>

<p>Hi entomom. Hope all is well.</p>

<p>i understand how you feel… remember need blind means just that NO income in acceptance…</p>

<p>I applied early action to stanford…very nervous to find out…</p>

<p>Fingers crossed. </p>

<p>I know it’s hard, but try to relax and enjoy your sr year!</p>