High Point University- the values that your student will see

I know most people come here to figure out if a school will work for their child and I recognize that because HPU has a newer campus it can seem like a DisneyLand.

So I thought you may enjoy hearing some new statistics they shared with us on the HPU Parents page as I think it speaks to the academics of HPU.

:trophy: BIG NEWS! High Point University’s Stout School of Education is celebrating top scores on national exams. The Class of 2023 from the Bachelor of Arts teacher licensure programs and the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) programs received a 100% pass rate on the Educative Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA). Their success surpasses the national pass rate at 72%.

Learn more about how HPU is preparing future educators! :point_down: #HPU365

Regarding the teaching exam --perhaps HPU’s emphasis is teaching towards the test. While the high pass rate is admirable, it may or may not be indicative of the overall quality of education at the university.

3 Likes

This is terrific. But what does this have to do with the “values” the college touts? Lots of colleges have high teaching licensure pass rates, and don’t have to do the dog whistle of “send your kid here with a bunch of other affluent white kids”. This thread is confusing. Do the High Point boosters care about academics all of a sudden? If they do- FANTASTIC!

A few of the posts here were merged from another thread so it doesn’t necessarily flow from the original post.

1 Like

This thread is going very off topic. Several posts hidden. Feel free to discuss HPU and its values.

Do you know how many students are in the Stout College of Education? I am a pretty good researcher, but tend to have a hard time when I look for specific numbers at HPU. I was just curious as to the size of the program, etc.

The closest proxy I could find to enrollment in that college was an obscure HPU report from 2021 that was in some corner of the internet, not on the HPU website. It listed the names of the education professors. There weren’t many, but I think in education programs there are often lecturers and other part-time instructors, so it didn’t really give me a good guess as to the size of the education school.

I’m not trying to trick you or anything, and I don’t have a specific answer in mind. 100% pass rate is obviously the goal for all schools, but I was trying to dig a bit deeper to understand the program better.

1 Like

College Navigator - High Point University lists the number of graduates in a recent class. For HPU graduates in 2021-2022:

Major # Bachelor # Master # Doctor
Educational Leadership and Administration, General 39 15
Elementary Education and Teaching 25 36
Physical Education Teaching and Coaching 1
Social and Philosophical Foundations of Education 2
Special Education and Teaching, General 14 4
All education majors (category total of the above) 42 79 15
All majors grand total 1,081 478 132
3 Likes

Thanks!

That seems like such a small cohort, but I am more familiar with education programs at our local state schools.

The Top Ten Majors at HPU for the class of 2025 are

1. undeclared
  2. business
  3. biology
  4. psychology
  5. exercise science
  6. marketing
  7. entrepreneurship
  8. finance
  9. criminal justice
  10. interior design

No mention of Education.

2 Likes

Are you sure there’s not one more

2 Likes

I am not super familiar with it all as my girls were both in the Mathematic and Science area. I did ask and found out they have 100 undergraduate students and about 170 grad students. I think if you contact the HPU Concierge at 336-841-4636 they can tell you more. I know every year HPU announces new programs they are going in depth on (like dental, etc) so the Concierge will be able to give you the best information. I hope that helps you out! It is not easy to navigate everything to find the best spot to land.

I find that HPU has always cared about the academics. When Dr Nido Qubein first came in years ago he found that HPU had no niche and they weren’t as selective with scoring as to who got in. They have been doing more rigorous academics to get in while at the same time expanding. I know that in just one year of my daughters each joining the grades and test scores of those choosing to go to HPU had jumped. So much so that my second daughter got less scholarship then the first even though her GPA and leadership skills were equal. I get where a lot of skepticism comes in about the school as it appears so different from other schools out there. That is due to all the newness of buildings, etc. I can tell you both my girls landed jobs in their field- one in Genetic Counseling as an assistant so next year she can go to grad school for it and my other as a Data Analyst at JP Morgan Chase. The school really provided great tools for them to land jobs in their field.

Closing for review.

1 Like