High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

So about two hours, around 20 dollars. Does that sound reasonable?

The doctors they talk to share their cultural views. My dentist recently told me to go med school, and told my dad I should go, even after I told them both I didnā€™t want to.

That does sound productive. I guess thereā€™s a flip side to everything. And itā€™ll probably only be for undergraduate years that I commute by train.

1 Like

Keep in mind that you donā€™t know when your classes will be. Train schedules may change dramatically during off-peak times, etc. You may find that trains run more often during rush hour, but tickets will also cost more.

If your first class is at 11 (for example) you could arrive early and spend that time in the library.

1 Like

Hence why Iā€™m taking AP Statistics instead of AP Calc.

I currently know Arabic, Chinese, and Spanish, although I still need practice for all three of them. I took AP US History and am taking AP US Government and Politics (my favorite class), though nothing international-related since my school doesnā€™t offer AP Comparative Govā€™t and they introduced AP World History too late for me to take it. Anything else I should be doing in my senior year?
Maybe I should post another question about that, actually.

I agree with issue of timing, but I donā€™t think it costs more to take public transportation at busy times.

1 Like

Is the cost of a ticket from NJ to Manhattan (or someplace in NJ) the same regardless of what time of day you travel?

By me, it costs more to take the bus or train to the city during peak times.

1 Like

Maybe all the parents needed to share with the student is whatā€™s doable for them - and leave it at that (us too).

(There are many jobs, and in fact, many entire service industries, where there is a substantial cash component - which could cover household spending and even downpayments. I have more than one such example in my circle.)

This is super helpful, thanks!
Brookdale is actually really close to my home, so I probably wonā€™t even need to take the train. Same goes to Monmouth. If I were to go to Rutgers, Iā€™d probably go to NB because my parents think Newark is too dangerous.

Itā€™s really more about how far the school is. My brother went to med school in Michigan since it was one of the few that admitted him, so now he dorms (which costs extra). Like I said before, if itā€™s something that really matters to my parents, theyā€™d let me live on-campus. Undergraduate- especially at a cc- is probably not up there.

I am sorry to hear this. I cannot imagine going to medical school if you have no interest (hopefully it will not come to that).

1 Like

I have spent 30 years commuting from either Bergen or Monmouth county NJ into various parts of NYC.

In my opinion what OP is considering on a daily basis given the post pandemic changes to frequency of schedules is not sustainable. There will be too many connections, gaps and wasted time getting from Monmouth to Union Square area.

The best alternative from Monmouth county is Atlantic Highlands or Rumson ferries into lower Manhattan but they are expensive.

I can offer alternative solutions but OP sounds determined to try it. I would suggest you make the trip on a Tuesday and Friday just to get a sense of the disparity in schedules and usage.

I hope it works for you but I also fear the start stop nature of this commute wonā€™t allow you study time.

3 Likes

Agree with you. Where I live there has been a drastic reduction of trains and buses since Covid, and it has not gone back to pre-pandemic levels. I suppose increased WFH has contributed. It is often difficult, if not impossible, to travel during non rush hour times.

2 Likes

My sisters actually pay for their tuition for the most part, and take out loans for the rest. Since they went to Rutgers and Kean and got decent scholarships, the tuition isnā€™t impossible to overcome.
My brother, on the other hand, is going to med school. Iā€™m not sure what his plan is, but the yearly tuition is 70k since heā€™s also dorming. I think heā€™s also taking out loans, because he doesnā€™t have a full-time job.

Yes, Iā€™m not exactly sure whatā€™s going on with my brother at the moment. My parents donā€™t seem concerned about the money since they recently enrolled my younger siblings at a private school.

Thatā€™s true, but itā€™s different for me because of my parents. If I take Humanities, Iā€™ll probably end up in a less expensive college, and if I take the STEM or healthcare path, Iā€™ll end up at a more expensive one.

I certainly hope so.

No, I go to public school. My younger siblings are in private school. Funnily enough, Iā€™m the only child my parents arenā€™t paying for at the moment in education.

Itā€™s partly that, but itā€™s also just them. They donā€™t trust easy, and the idea of me living independently makes them nervous.

Thatā€™s fine with me, and probably my parents if Iā€™ve moved out by then.

Itā€™s the school Iā€™m interested in, but also the location. Do you think I should apply to another college in NYC thatā€™s not as expensive, like Pace?

Yes, Iā€™m aware. My sisters do the same at the moment. The take 7:00 or 7:30 train when they have classes at 9:00 or 10:00, and usually make it on time. Iā€™m not sure about OOS, though. Does NYC have trouble with their trains?

Yes, and most commuters use monthly passes. Fares donā€™t change here, but frequency definitely does depending on the time of day.

You may get money from Pace. Have you considered Brooklyn College of is that too hard to get to?

Thatā€™s great! We also have monthly passes - I donā€™t know the details but I do know that commuting during rush hour costs more than off peak (which also runs fewer trains).

1 Like

My sister frequently uses the train to go from Monmouth to Union, which isnā€™t too far from NYC (using the train, I mean).

I just really want to study at NYC. Thanks for the advice, Iā€™ll see what itā€™s like.

Maybe things changed in the years since you commuted from there.

The 7:06 train out of Middleton goes direct to NYC Penn, arrives 8:21 - with 7 stops. I guess it depends on each individual and how easily distracted you are in public places. You sit further forward/rear, sit down and then start reading/working, regardless whether the train stops a few times.

Yes, I thought of the ferry, too.

Well - the normal round trip on NJ Transit alone is more like $30. But, you can get the FlexPass for 20% off, or 25% if your college has an agreement with NJ Transit.

Then add $6 round trip for the subway/bus in Manhattan - again, there are some saving options.

So if you have classes/labs/office hours on 4 days a week - that can add up to $500/month for the months when college is in session.