High school senior applying to NYU CAS [NJ resident, 3.97, 1530, parents require pre-med or pharmacy, and commuting from home]

Manhattan College and Sarah Lawrence are private universities. There is no difference in cost for in or out of state students.

1 Like

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I understand now. Iā€™ll still apply for NYU, but Iā€™ll accept it if itā€™s too expensive or impractical, and just take another path. Guess thatā€™s life, huh?

Yes, I do both.

I donā€™t knowā€¦ I mean, I think I can convince them if itā€™s really, really rewarding, but Iā€™ll have to do several presentations and give up other things to get them to agree, and even then it might not happen. Hopefully, though.

Iā€™ve been writing for the school newspaper since freshman year. I became an editor in junior year, now Iā€™m co-Chief Editor. I write for the annual Lit Mag, and for Yearbook, although Iā€™m not really involved in those.

I think that will push it close to a 4 hour daily commute. Connecting through Penn Station before you walk onto college will be around an extra hour.
Dito for Sarah Lawrence.

Frankly, colleges in Manhattan will already be a stretch, but I would draw the line there, as far as crossing (under) the Hudson. There are many excellent options in NJ within a 3 hour daily commute.

For that reason, Iā€™m not even mentioning Ramapo College - because itā€™s on another local line on the ā€œfar endā€ of the state.

2 Likes

I probably wonā€™t have a social life at that point :joy: But Iā€™ll do almost anything for my dreams!

Iā€™m just trying to come up with other options.

Have you run the NPC for NYU - youā€™ll know whether even to apply.

Itā€™s about $65K - without room and board.

They meet need butā€¦it still might be more than you can afford.

Thereā€™s Fordham, Paceā€¦Iā€™d be worried about finding the right school for you vs. finding a journalism program.

If you want Journalism, look at Rutgers, Montclair State, or Rowanā€¦not NYU.

Every school - whether having a major or not - will have journalism opportunities.

Oh. In that case, Iā€™ll apply.

Thatā€™s unfortunate. Iā€™ll look at the routes.

You can see aboveā€¦ I had an earlier conversation about it. Itā€™d be about $17k after aid, according to my needs.

#1 subway from 34th Street leaves every 10 minutes, plus 40 minute ride, plus walks on both ends.

1 Like

These two colleges (Manhattan College and Sarah Lawrence) are private universities and are expensive private universities. I would suggest you accurately run the Net price calculators for these schools to see what your possible net costs might be.

1 Like

Yes - iā€™m throwing out names and you can search for more names in NJ, NY areas.

But absolutely, OP you need to see what they can offer you.

At this point, itā€™s like throwing out names of every school near by.

2 Likes

To expand on that good advice:

Many students (and parents) are surprised when private universities/colleges, where you might apply with grades that are well above their average, will offer substantial financial aid based on your needs and merit! That can bring the cost down to the point that they sometimes are more affordable than the in-state public!

One of our friendsā€™ daughter had significant financial needs, but also had excellent academics - and the most affordable school ended up being one of the countries most highly regarded: Amherst College.

So donā€™t dismiss any colleges outright based on perception - since you are geographically so strictly limited.

1 Like

Have they talked to doctors recently? There are so many more professions where you could make a lot more money without going to college for more than a decade.

Yeah - but before you know it youā€™ll become a pro at commuting. Whipping out your laptop, putting in your airpods, tuning out the world, and starting banging out your assignments, papers, etc.

Itā€™ll actually be productive time - just like the many business commuters whoā€™ll be on the same trains.

Itā€™ll become second nature. My daughter was/is doing that, no matter if on a commuter train, in an airline lounge, or during a flight. Just local bus/subway is pretty much unproductive time.

Knowledge of data science / statistics will generally be useful.

A journalist on international topics may also want to learn relevant foreign languages, histories, and cultures, in addition to general political science and international relations matters.

For the purposes of helping people who donā€™t understand northern NJ geography well, here are the public transportation times from Middletown, NJ (a place in OPā€™s county that has good transportation connectsā€¦seemingly) to various colleges, using Monday, September 11 at 7:00AM as a departure time. Iā€™ve bolded the ones that were less than 1h30m (though there are several colleges in the 1h30-1h40m zone). Schools are in alphabetical order.

• Barnard: 1h48m

• Bloomfield: 1h33m

• Brookdale Community College: 40m

• Columbia: 1h47m

• Drew: 2h10m

• Fairleigh-Dickinson: 2h15m

• Felician: 2h2m

• Fordham (Lincoln Center): 1h34m

• Kean: 1h42m

• Manhattan College: 2h5m

• Monmouth: 59m

• Montclair State: 1h54m

• New Jersey Institute of Technology: 1h7m

• NYU: 1h34m

• Pace: 1h34m

• Princeton: 2h9m

• Ramapo: 3h45m

• Rider: 2h42m

• Rutgers-New Brunswick: 2h25m

• Rutgers-Newark: 1h9m

• Saint Peterā€™s: 1h25m

• Sarah Lawrence: 2h40m

• Seton Hall: 1h42m

• Stevens Institute of Technology: 1h31m

• The College of New Jersey: 2h44m

• The New School: 1h39m

• Wagner: 2h12m

• William Paterson: 2h9m

In looking at the times, I would focus my attentions on Monmouth, Rutgers-Newark, and NJIT, with Saint Peterā€™s, NYU, Pace, Fordham, New School, Stevens, Seton Hall, and Columbia & Barnard bringing up the other possibilities. Lastly, Iā€™d include Brookdale Community College (or whatever your local community college is) to see if your family would let you live your last two years on-campus if you spent your first two years at cc.

4 Likes

They are right.

On $140,000 income? How?

ā€œFAFSA aidā€ is the Pell grant and Direct Loanā€¦for freshman year, the total added together would be about $12,000 which would not fund anyoneā€™s medical school, and or undergrad at most places.

It doesnā€™t matter what you major in at most colleges. The cost is the same per semester for tuition.

Your university isnā€™t going to grant you really good positions on the future. What you do is what matters in this regard.

At most colleges you can double major. Doing this should satisfy both you and your parents.

This in addition to medical school costs, grad school costsā€¦and now you? How?

I will addā€¦I understand that there can be cultural reasons for families that make living at home as long as possible the norm.

1 Like

OP my daughterā€™s friend in college majored in journalism and political science. The school has a very strong journalism program and she had many really good internships (with politicians, national news organizations etc).

She always worked but is not making anywhere near 6 figures, and sheā€™s been out of school a few years. She also hustlesā€¦
a lotā€¦and accepts positions wherever they are, all over the country. Sheā€™s always moving. Always. And despite being from the northeast, sheā€™s not working in the northeast.

While NYU is a good school, do not go into this thinking it will open doors for you. Thatā€™s on you, not the school. My friends son graduated NYU with a major that is very hard to break into, and he doesnā€™t have steady work. There were no NYU ā€œconnectionsā€ etc, and heā€™s still struggling to find his place many years after graduating. Heā€™s working, but struggling to break into his line of work.

I hope you are able to major in something that interests you, and I hope you get a lot of money from a school to do it.

2 Likes