Hispanic male declaring education major

<p>Join Date: Apr 2012

<p>Is Education or Econ an Impacted major at these schools
I'm a Junior going into my Senior year and totally flipping out about college admissions right now. I am sad to say that looking back I don't feel like I pushed myself hard enough/did enough in the ways of advanced courses and/or missed opportunities.</p>

<p>But since you most likely aren't here to listen to me pout here's the lowdown:</p>

<p>Yes, I feel like I've screwed up, but I actually took a big portion of my junior year and this summer to really look back and do some soul searching to discover what it is that I am good at and what I want to do.</p>

<p>After much consideration, I've decided that I want to become (for the moment, odds are I'll change my mind again) and Education/Economics double major.</p>

<p>I am also a hispanic male, which statistically, I've recently discovered are under-represented in both of those departments.</p>

<p>With that in mind, I am simply curious as to how impacted these majors are at the following colleges and if my chances for admission would be better if I declared one or the other:</p>

<p>UCLA
UC Irvine
UCSC
UCSB
UCSD
UC Davis
USC
NYU
Santa Clara University
George Washington University
American University
Georgetown University
Boston University
Boston College</p>

<p>And for part 2 of my question, I am simply concerned about declaring an education major; while don't get me wrong, I'm not just using it to get into college, my mother and three of my relatives are educators and said it's a field that always needs more people and I am geniniuely interested in helping people; at the same time I go to a competitive public high school that does not offer any classes in Child Development or Psych, two areas that I've heard are important for education majors. Would colleges not take me seriously as an education major if I can't say I've taken any classes in those fields? (I'm interested in both, just my school doesn't offer them). I have however had a lot of hands-on personal experience with teaching/education: I've recently started a journalism program for elementary school children to boost reading comprehension and writing ability, I've worked with special needs children basically all my life across a number of different organizations helping them grow and learn and will be a student director at one of those organizations starting next year, and I am also a peer tutor at my school with over 50 hours logged for peer tutoring alone (and will be recieving an award for it). Will things like that help me at all?</p>

<p>I'm equally interested in economics because it's a very flexible and applicable field as well, but I think it's way more impacted at some of those schools (unless you guys think otherwise?) and my school doesn't even offer economics until senior year (I am signed up to take AP Macro senior year and I am finishing up Micro at a cc nearby this summer, will take both AP tests at the end of senior year and want to take international econ concurrently senior year)</p>

<p>I would appriciate it if anyone could provide me with info over this issue, these fields, reccommendations, advice or anything else in relation to me or this question.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. Let me know if you need any more info.</p>

<p>The better place to get this information is the college themselves. It is too broad for the Hispanic board. Perhaps you could ask on the individual college listing as to whether education/econ is an impacted major. </p>

<p>The UC’s are tough regardless of major especially if you are in state. USC has seen a big drop in acceptance since they went to the common app this past year. GW and the Boston schools are really not safeties. Only American (and this is guessing since I don’t know your stats) is the only safety school on your list. </p>

<p>Also look under specific majors in that forum on cc for further information. The EC’s you mentioned will help you because it demonstrates your interests and that you take action on them. </p>

<p>Good luck and welcome to the Hispanic forum. Since you are a senior be sure to post in the 2017 thread at the top.</p>