Hispanic Students - Class of 2017 Discussion Thread

<p>How do schools like Stanford, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, and Cornell look at URM (Hispanic) status. I’m also applying to UT Austin and UC Berkeley but I would think URM status weighs less in a public school.</p>

<p>In holistic admissions, diversity is an affirmative factor. They should not discriminate against you.</p>

<p>California public schools cannot use race in admissions as per Prop 209. </p>

<p>For all the schools mentioned, you do need to be a top student regardless of your race or ethnicity, particularly Stanford and MIT, but they do use holistic admissions and do look to have a diverse student body (but diverse can mean a lot of things). If you go to College Board Big Future and type in each school, you can see the racial breakdown of each school.</p>

<p>So say I am a top student and my chances for admission into both MIT and Stanford are about 30%, disregarding ethnicity, how much (theoretically) would my chances into either school increase by being Hispanic?</p>

<p>No one can really say, gallardo. College admissions is a complex thing. Certainly, schools that value racial/ethnic diversity will consider this as one factor, but to put a number on it is pretty impossible. Also, many times, one’s race/ethnicity is tied into other factors such as socio-economic status, community, and culture.</p>

<p>Understandable, so would being Hispanic, along with being lower-income, and in an unrepresented area of the country, because of relatively bad education or poverty be a factor that could improve chances in college admission into these prestigious institutions? Assuming that all other areas of my application are very strong.</p>

<p>^In such a case it would demonstrate an unusual ability to find solutions and overcome obstacles with limited resources. One would still need to be the best student from that school, possibly in years.</p>

<p>How much does being hispanic help?
I have a 2080 sat 700 CR, 680 Math, 700 Writing
and i am in the top 1% of my class.
What schools would offer me aid? I’m looking to do pre-med (science major) at a liberal arts school</p>

<p>also, is it frowned upon if you take the spanish subject test because you’re hispanic? I took it because I wrote about how I was determined to learn to speak (I am now fairly proficient) is this bad?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Please see post #2 here for some discussion of how college admissions works for Hispanic students:</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/1229462-does-being-hispanic-have-any-impact-all.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>Are you a NHRP scholar? If so, see the thread on this forum about schools offering scholarships. </p>

<p>There are many LACs that are interesting in recruiting URMs, particularly those in rural areas, and some offer merit aid. You need to look for schools in your safety and match range for viable possibilities. </p>

<p>As far as taking the Spanish Subject test, it really varies with your situation and the number of other Subject tests you’ve taken and how many colleges require. </p>

<p>There are many students who either didn’t learn Spanish at home or were native speakers but took classes to help with their grammar and written Spanish, for these students it’s reasonable for them to take the Spanish Subject test. You could note in the Additional Info section of your application why you took Spanish in school.</p>

<p>If you have a strong background in both written and spoken Spanish, then colleges might consider the Subject test relatively easy for you. However, if it was your third Subject test and only two were required, then it’s not going to hurt you.</p>

<p>My son was accepted early at Yale. No major awards, just decent grades and good SAT scores. He’ll drop a few applications, but he’s pretty happy.</p>

<p>^Super congrats to him! </p>

<p>D1 is a '11 Y grad, she had a wonderful experience.</p>

<p>accepted to Stanford :slight_smile:
and likely letter from Miami’s Singer Scholarship :)</p>

<p>It was a good day today.</p>

<p>diuron,</p>

<p>A huge congratulations on Yale!!</p>

<p>Ryry,</p>

<p>Yeah on Stanford!! Congratulations!!
And great news on the Miami scholarship! </p>

<p>When everything is done, you can then see what’s affordable. Stanford is known for being very generous, so you might not need to look any further. :-)</p>

<p>Congrats ryry, you’ve got both coast covered!</p>

<p>Son was awarded a full-tuition NHRP scholarship to Fordham University and also admitted ED to Georgetown. He is waiting on a few more colleges for RD, but is very pleased with what came through today.</p>

<p>Excellent news omzac! So nice to get such wonderful news this time of year, it really makes the rest of the year much more relaxed. </p>

<p>Tell you son congrats from all of us on CC, he deserves it!</p>

<p>Thanks so much entomom!! And I have to say thank you to you and to CC for providing such helpful information and guidance.</p>

<p>Just wanted to let you know my son was accepted into Notre Dame today. He’s also been accepted to University of Arizona with a $30,000/year scholarship for being recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar.</p>

<p>Congrats to LVSon! Wonderful choices, it’s good to see so many kids receiving NHRP scholarships. Enjoy!</p>

<p>Thanks so much entomom. I wouldn’t have had any idea about the NHRP without the work you’ve put into this forum. Without that information, I wouldn’t have had any idea how important the PSATs were. It really made him focus on the PSATs and it paid off. It’s so good to know that he has great options. :)</p>