History of the NESCAC

Many of you may know about this, but I happened upon a book on the history of the NESCAC penned by Dan Covell with a forward by Stephen Hardy, a former Bowdoin hockey player. From what you’re able to see on Google Books, it looks like a good read for those consumers of all things NESCAC. The forward is great. Here is a short blurb, which well describes an experience similar to what I was trying to convey in another thread several months back about the unique and pleasant atmosphere of a Wesleyan home football game on Andrus field (before it was unfortunately interpreted as a comparison to major D1 football and then a comparison of Texas to Connecticut, and the point was completely lost).

Interestingly, the founding of the league can be traced back to the Pentagonal Agreement among Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan, Bowdoin and Dartmouth. One thing I’ve gleaned from my travels is a strong conference identity amongst the athletes at the member schools. They’re competitive but also seem to have conference consciousness (pardon the Marx reference) and pride. Perhaps of interest to @circuitrider @Mwfan1921 @Crosbylane @BKSquared and others.

Edited to note there is a book event with the author at Wesleyan’s book store tomorrow at 5:00 PM.

7 Likes

Definite conference consciousness- at the D3 National swim championships a few weeks ago, the qualifiers from all the various NESCAC teams joined together in a large circle and did a NESCAC cheer-it was a great moment of unity!

3 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! Wondering how that conference consciousness extends off the field. Are there NESCAC-wide alumni activities, whether formal or informal?

1 Like