Hokie Horizons: Pathways to Success. Experience with this First Year course?

<p>Does anyone have any experience with this course? My daughter is nervous about college, unsure whether she has the study habits needed. She is undecided about her major and eager to know more about resources available to support her in college - from tutoring to counseling. I wonder whether this course might help. At the same time, she is in the Honors Program, and this may be boring for her. This course may be targeted to students who are the first in their family to ever attend college. I would love to hear from someone who has taken (or heard about) the course!</p>

<p><hokie horizons:="" pathways="" to="" success="" is="" funded="" through="" the="" office="" of="" first="" year="" experiences.="" it="" specialized="" for="" first-year="" university="" studies="" students="" learn="" academic="" skills,="" explore="" majors="" and="" career="" options,="" practice="" successful="" group="" work,="" familiarize="" themselves="" with="" campus="" resources.=""></hokie></p>

<p><a href="http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2013/09/090513-uged-fyeunivstudies.html"&gt;http://www.vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2013/09/090513-uged-fyeunivstudies.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I took the course way back when and your advisor is also the teacher. My advisor specifically was great, everyone in my class loved him. In terms of subject material, it was okay, but it really made me have a great bond with my advisor and he made the class really more applicable to general transition to college in addition to just academic transition. The Peer Mentor with each class was also a great resource, since it’s someone who has been through the university studies path and can relate to students even more directly.</p>

<p>One important thing to note is that the class seems to be REALLY dependent on who the advisor/teacher for the course is. I’ve heard mixed reviews from students who had different advisors. If you’d like to PM me, I’d be happy to speak with you more and let you know about my experience in University Studies.</p>

<p>I checked koo fers for information about this course, which goes by UNIV 2984, and reviews are mixed. People agree that it is an easy A, but some find it to be full of useless busy work. Others highly recommend it. I would love more feedback so I can learn more about what people actually get out of the course.</p>

<p>My daughter may sign up for this course plus another elective, taking her to 19 hours (the max you can do without special approval). When she sees what teacher she has been assigned for this, she will look for information about that instructor and decide which course to drop, going back to 16 hours. At Orientation, we were told that students can change academic advisers if they feel they have a bad fit (though this is discouraged), but if she is in Pathways with an adviser she does not like, that would be harder (and the class would be less useful).</p>