How can I become a nurse working in the field of neurology?

<p>I am currently an undergraduate nursing major. I am very interested in the brain, and I want to help patients with brain injuries improve their conditions over time. I do not want to become a neurologist, but I do want to become a neurology nurse. How can I do this? What is the next step after I receive my BSN? Also, what are the main differences between what a neurologist and neurology nurse does? As a neurology nurse, what would I do and what would I not be able to do as opposed to a neurologist. I guess I'm also asking for the advantages and disadvantages over choosing to become a neurology nurse over a neurologist.</p>

<p>This forum doesn’t always have the best answers as few RNs post here. If I were you I might try posting on allnurses.com, a forum specifically for RNs and nursing students.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>You need to determine which hospitals you work at that have neurology patients treated as a separate area. I have been an R.N. for 30 years worked at Stanford and interviewed then for the Neurology floor which was only half a floor of 15 pts and a Vascular Med surg floor. I went to work on the Med surg floor but to be honest, Med surg is a perfect first year base for any other type of nursing. </p>

<p>As a Neurology nurse you are the nurse providing direct patient care. Neurologists are the physicians who diagnose and prescribe a treatment plan that you carry out. But all patients need certain basic levels of care and assessment regardless of problem. Neurology patients that are not conscious need all their physical care met for them. Nutritional support either with feedings or TPN. Protection from skin breakdown with turning and physical care. Conscious patients may have difficulty understanding or communicating their needs or understanding what you are trying to communicate. Even neurology patients have other med surg things wrong with them so you really take care of the whole person, not just their Neuro needs.</p>

<p>To be a neurologist means going to medical school, internship and resistency, meaning alot more training. Work as a nurse first before you decide whether you want to be a Dr. Once you work you can better see the difference between the 2 roles.</p>