How do I convince my family that Bama is a good choice for me?

Oh good. You’re visiting with the supporting dad.

Frankly, just smile and nod when the others say what they say.

It’s funny that the ones who aren’t financially secure are the ones pushing for debt (that they likely can’t qualify for.)

Yes, you’ll get into the HC. I’ll send you info to help you set up your visit

@lhtanh98 @mom2collegekids Oh I thought the stats listed on the application were simply minimum to apply and not the deciding factor. That’s great!! We just might @lhtanh98 and thank you @mom2collegekids !

Many states in the NE along with IL are losing population (and not a single midwest state gained movers).

A national business magazine - a site selection publication, Business Facilities has named AL the 2015 State of the Year title - AL has landed a Google Data Center. Polaris off-road vehicle plant, Mercedes-Benz $1.3 B expansion, KAMTEK auto supplier expanding B’ham plant, and YOROZU a new $100 M metal stamping facility. Mercedes-Benz plant is located pretty close to UA and has strong engineering program ties.

AL is a different state than it was in the 1960’s; UA is a different school than it was - and the growth in STEM, honors programs etc over the last 13 years or so has made UA even a better school to consider.

When H and I moved to AL in 1983, some of our home town (WI) folks thought we were moving to shot gun houses and dirt roads - nothing further from the truth.

OP, work with the positive family members, and especially so if you like what you see on visit. No need to saddle yourself with unnecessary debt just to impress others. College is meant to have your education and you be the product - not the name of the school as the important thing.

Maybe you can point your family to (or print off?) certain helpful threads from College Confidential. That’s how my son got me to agree to a visit to UA! My eyes were then opened… (My main concern after that was distance, but we’re managing.) Good luck!!

I must live in some kind of Utopian bubble because I’ve not encountered a single person who tried to dissuade me or my kid from considering Alabama. Not my affluent neighbors. Not the parents of my kid’s private school classmates (many of whom are attending Ivies and fancy privates). Not his college counselor (who is an Ivy grad). Not my family members, who were all high-stats students back in the day.

Maybe it’s because they know I attended a lesser Ivy myself and am smart enough to think these things through?

We live in PA, and my kid got into Penn State Engineering too and frankly he liked Bama better at half the price. In your case, Penn State would be how much more? Three times?

No offense to your family members, but they don’t seem to be very smart where personal finance is concerned. Out of curiosity, what colleges did they attend? The fact that they think a 30 ACT is good enough to get into Cornell tells me they’re kind of clueless. I would thank them for their concern and make my own decisions unless they’re offering to pay for your education. And, no, co-signing loans doesn’t count!

Try sharing this with them: http://nyti.ms/1KXy7SO

@LucieTheLakie - love your post above but you are lucky. I am FROM the SOUTH and hear this stuff.

I went to college in the midwest myself and haven’t even had my son apply. Not enough merit $$$, too much cold.

Similar situation except it’s my DW that needs convincing…DD with similar stats went to a UA presentation last year and liked what she heard. She applied and was accepted to the Honors program with a sizable scholarship. When we told some of our friends of the good news at a dinner party, they rolled their eyes and jokingly said, “well of course she got into honors, she has all her teeth!” So yes, sadly the negative attitude towards the South still exist…Luckily, DD and DW are set to visit the honors college at UA soon, so I’m hoping they can keep an open mind towards everything the school has to offer.

TuckerTroy: People need to be educated on UA, that’s for sure! The ignorance and close-mindedness out there is just sad…

We live in the Midwest, with lots of bias among neighbors and friends towards OSU and PSU. My DD was intrigued by UA, we visited, she received excellent scholarship opportunities, and then more opportunities. She decided to go to UA. Since then, she’s worked very hard academically, achieved her first semester goals, She has had an outstanding first semester–great friends, great roommates, great grades…and football! Upon returning to the Midwest during her break, she heard numerous times from her high school friends that they wish they had “broken away” to do something that provided more opportunities rather than just attend college as an extension of high school. As far as “southern perception” goes, she has said that she cannot control the bias of others towards the southern US. She does know that when she attends medical school debt free side by side with others who are deeply in debt due to their college selection process, she’ll be a less stressed med student than her peers.

LucieTheLake, my son was at the end of his second year at UA when I ran into a mother of one of his friends, and she said that she “still didn’t understand why he went to Alabama when he had so many other choices.” I just responded that the scholarships were great, he was getting a good education, and he was happy. I really should have added that when he graduated he was going to be debt free, have a double-major, and graduate with both his undergrad and masters in the 4 year time frame (he was already in University Scholars at that point.) He ended up graduating in December in 3-1/2 years and has an excellent job offer in his field. My husband, I and my son definitely know why he chose Alabama. (His younger brother is there now too.)

Is there a reason you have to convince family members that Bama is a good choice? Frankly, there are people who will never be convinced (been there, done that), but unless they’re paying for it or have a veto over your choice for some reason, it’s not worth the time to try to convince them. If your dad is the parent you live with and who will be helping pay for your education and he’s supportive of Alabama, I would just give the other relatives a short list of the reasons YOU would choose Alabama and leave it at that.

My daughter is a senior who will graduate in May. She’s had a great experience at UA and has not had a single regret that she turned down supposedly “better” schools (i.e., schools with a higher USNWR ranking). UIUC, which is on your list, was one of them. We would pay in-state tuition there, and I can assure you that it would not be worth the cost (vs. free tuition at Bama).

I have a feeling you have not been to Alabama for a campus tour. If you and your family spent 8 hrs. on campus like we did, with a very personalized tour schedule, you would see first hand what the school has to offer. The most valuable part might be scheduling individual time with the Computer Science Department, specifically with a professor from that department. You will find it difficult not to be amazed. Another suggestion is to look in your area for UA parents, UA grads, and current UA students. We have a good number of UA students or grads here in Michigan. I have literally “interviewed” a dozen parents and students about UA before sending my son there. There is yet to be one negative word about Alabama. Everyone loves it. While other schools such as Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State get good reviews from friends and those living in Michigan, I have never heard anyone speak so highly of a state/public university such as Alabama.You will get a good education. We know of UA grads who are now in graduate school around the country, including Duke. Yes, UA prepares you. Seriously, if you can get a good education with free tuition why would you pay over $150,000? I guess if your parents can pay it then great. If you will have to pay the loans, I challenge you to sit down and figure out how much your monthly payment is going to be for 20 + years. My niece is paying $900 per month. She has no hope at this point of ever buying a home or a new car. Best of luck to you.

I think this will work out because it sounds like this student’s custodial parent, and the one who will be paying for any residual costs, is the SUPPORTIVE parent. It sounds like the money-troubled NCP is the one suggesting loans, which that person isn’t qualified to co-sign, so that will be a non-starter. NCP’s don’t really have the power to make CP’s cosign loans, much less ridiculous loans.

We are also from the Midwest and my DD (30 ACT, 4.1 W GPA, good high school that sends kids to top colleges) who is a senior is in a very similar situation in terms of types of schools she is looking at and determining how to balance costs (e.g, $0 tuition at UA) vs. other factors. She has been accepted to UA Engineering Honors. We have not seen the school yet but have a visit set for late January. UA has done a good job of setting up a full schedule of campus tour, engineering dept., etc.

We are keeping an open mind until we visit. Based on friends who have visited or have kids attending UA (ranging from kids OOS getting no money and others paying $0 tuition due to 34 ACT score) we have only heard good things. As someone else already mentioned, 36% of this year’s freshman class had an ACT score of 30 or higher.

https://www.ua.edu/about/bythenumbers

Will let you know how our visit goes.

@Big10Grad We are from the Midwest also and are visiting in late January. Both my DS and DD have been given the tuition scholarship for Engineering. They have also applied to other Midwest schools with cost for Tuition/R&B ranging from $22.5K to $16K. UA right now is at $10K.

When are you visiting the campus? We will be there on 1/25 - 26.

@CyclonesGrad We are there the week before you (1/18-1/19).

@Big10Grad Have a good trip!!

@BamCon It is hard to convince people who do Not want to be convinced. They do not have an open mind.

You need to visit the campus with a full itinerary set (to make the most of your visit). I am sure that you will be amazed at what The University of Alabama has to offer.

Do not take out loans for which you will then be responsible for paying back. Remember, UA’s scholarship is only good for an incoming freshman, so if you do go elsewhere, and then cannot afford to continue at the other college, you will be stuck.

Best of Luck!

Bias against the south? Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, UNC, and other prestigious schools are in the south. It’s bias against Alabama.

I’m from NY and I had it too. Five years ago I knew nothing about Alabama other than the stereotypes. I have come to learn that the state, and the university, are much better than their reputations would suggest. My son had Ivy-caliber stats, and was admitted to Johns Hopkins, Georgia Tech, and other top schools. He didn’t like Cornell (miserable weather, among other things) but would have gotten in. He ended up choosing UA. Money (at least his own) was not a factor, as we could pay for any school. Fast forward, where he is now a senior about to graduate with an engineering degree that he paid less than nothing to obtain (full tuition scholarship plus $2500 per year stipend). He enjoyed 4 years at the nicest campus you’ll ever see, with some of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet. He had priority registration every semester, choosing his classes before most students. This perk cannot be overstated. Ask any college student stuck with bad times or unable to graduate on time because they couldn’t get the classes they need, and you’ll see what I mean. He was captain of club volleyball, competing for UA against colleges across the south. He was also a practice player for women’s varsity, making him an official NCAA athlete. He sat front row for dozens of basketball games, seeing powerhouses like Kentucky and Florida up close. He became good friends and sat with famous fans like The Face and Alabama Sign Girl (look them up). And he had front row seats to every football game including (we hope) two national championships. His college experience was like few will ever have. Describe all that to anyone and they will be impressed.

So what’s the catch? He must be stuck in Alabama? Funny thing about that. He had an internship with a local defense contractor in NY after sophomore year, then another with a national aerospace company (Maryland facility) after junior year. As a senior, he has interviewed for jobs all over the country, including the engineering leadership programs at three major companies, all household names. He has yet to interview for a job in Alabama, though that’s coming next week. Small employer called the US Army (a civilian engineering job). He didn’t even apply for that one, they recruited him. The Alabama name has not hampered his job search in any state. Same for his friends, who already have jobs lined up at Raytheon in CA, Lockheed in CO, and Honeywell in AZ, among others.

Wow @Chardo - thank you. And congrats to your son!