How do the UCs tell if your parent went to a JC or a university?

<p>I notice for some schools like Davis and Riverside part of their admissions criteria is if you’re a first generation university attendance. Now how can they tell if your parent went to a JC or a university? For my mom, she took some classes at a JC but never graduated. HOw do you specify that since the only option you’re given on the application is “some college/university”?</p>

<p>bump...... bump</p>

<p>I'd suggest going with "some college/university" if your mom took UC/CSU transferable courses. If she took technical training courses, I wouldn't consider those as "college/university" experience.</p>

<p>Others might have a clearer definition.</p>

<p>well I understand that but the problem is how to I prove that she didn't go to a university? In which case I'll be a first generation university student.</p>

<p>I'm not sure I understand what you mean by proving it. At this point, all the information in your application is self-reported. In the unlikely event that your application is selected for an audit, I believe they ask for proof of things like your reported community service, awards, and such.</p>

<p>I've never heard of anyone being asked to prove their first-generation status, but maybe I'm missing something.</p>

<p>what I mean is that I marked that option on the application that says "some college/some university".Just by looking at that one can see that my parent either went to a college for a little or they went to a university for a little bit. How would they know that my mom did indeed go to a JC for a little NOT a university?</p>

<p>From what I understand, UC considers an applicant first-generation if neither parent graduated from a two- or four-year college (or university). So, for purposes of your first-gen status, it doesn't matter whether you mom took classes at a JC/CC, college, or university... if neither she or or dad got a degree (AA, BA, BS, etc.), you're considered first generation.</p>

<p>As for the question asking about parents' educational level, your mom would have "some college" unless the courses she took were something occupational and non-academic (e.g., "Using MS Office").</p>

<p>Alright, cool. So I should be fine then. Thanks MaMoose. You're were really patient. Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>No problem... good luck with your application!</p>