How hard to get high GPA? Time management?- UW-Madison

Hi everyone!

So I might be attending UW Madison next year and I will most likely be on the pre-med track. In order to stay competitive, a high GPA is a must. I am more than willing to put in the work. At the same time, I want to make use of the wonderful town of Madison and would not be opposed to like one party a weekend.

How does time management work there? How many hours of work does one ‘need’ to put in to maintain a competitive GPA (3.7+)?

I go to a prestigious, competitive, college-prep high school at the moment, so I know what it means to sacrifice social life for my grades. But I also want to get the full college experience next year- I don’t think that is too much to ask. I’m really conflicted. I don’t want to be paying all this tuition if I am going to be locked in a library day and night in order to maintain a competitive GPA. I’m not going to go off the deep end and party every day. I’m talking about like one part a weekend or like a tailgate and then game. Is work hard, play hard possible?

Any advice or personal stories?

Hopefully you have learned good study habits. Learn what is required for each class and do not wait to do papers or study- keep up. Enjoy your undergrad education. Take not only required for your major and for medical school classes but those that will enrich you. The time required will depend on your strengths (and weaknesses). Choose a major you actively like and can use for a plan B in case medical school doesn’t happen. If you like your major you will be able to enjoy studying it more and do better.

You don’t only study, pick your stress relievers and fun activities. Do NOT plan on weekly parties, especially with underage drinking. btw- I studied in my dorm when everyone else went to a library. Quiet. We dragged a friend out of the library Saturday nights to do quiet, goofy things. Likewise in medical school we played cards (and drank soda) Saturday nights.

The bottom line- don’t get stressed about needing to perform well. Those who plan on medical or grad school will be natural academic types. We enjoy learning- not every class, even in our major. We don’t study for grades but to learn the material and skills. Attitude counts. Relax and get engaged with your classes. Remember, you will be at a fantastic school to get an education- take advantage of that. The fun will come. My husband, who had a straight from HS basic sciences to medical subjects education has told me I took a class in everything. Symphony and an Art History broadened my education- plenty of science plus others. Oh, and Res Halls food service jobs a year or two.

You need whatever it takes. Choose a major you like and have ability in. That makes the time spent fun.