How Important is the School

<p>Do employers gauge nurses by where they graduated? </p>

<p>I understand that NCLEX pass rates are probably the most important factor in choosing a school followed closely by cost, location, etc. </p>

<p>But how does "prestige" factor in? Ivy league grads in other fields are probably more likely to land good jobs because their alma maters. But because there is such a high demand for nurses, how does the school actually figure into employment rates? Higher education acceptance rates? </p>

<p>Basically I'm considering nursing school. I know I would be halfway across the country at some to east coast schools like UPenn etc, but I'm wondering if the presige of these schools is worth it to balance out the added cost over going to a local school with nearly equal exam pass rates.</p>

<p>The most important thing is that you have passed the NCLEX. Prestige of the school doesn’t really matter a whole lot.</p>

<p>there is MUCH more to college then the degree…“elite” schools afford their students a better experience,then a CC college…Where clinicals are held,major medical centers(where “prestigious” schools are located")for example,afford students better opportunities then someone who passed the NCLEX in the middle of Jibib…AND many students who attend the type of school you mention, do NOT stop at graduation,they continue their education beyond, and attain positions in the nursing field in management,etc</p>

<p>I recently had a family member in a hospital in Pittsburgh. I asked this same question of every nurse I encountered in the hospital, since D will be studying nursing next year. I also have been asking questions of the nurses in doctor’s offices, the school nurse, our doctors, and even parents of friends who are nurses. D was trying to decide between different schools, and I was trying to get some information to assist her. </p>

<p>Every single nurse I have spoken to has said that the school doesn’t matter, except that a few nurses reported that there is a perception by the hospitals that one of our local schools does a better job at training nurses than the other local schools. (This was their subjective opinion, since I didn’t talk to the hospital employment office.) All of the nurses said that every nurse starts off at the same salary anyway. </p>

<p>I asked them about the RN to BSN route too. They all suggested that D pursue a BSN immediately if possible. While the RNs and BSNs started at the same wage in this hospital, they said that the BSNs have many more career paths available to them. </p>

<p>They said the choice of school might help a little for getting into nursing graduate schools, nursing management, or if D was weighing a career in nursing education but that it was most important to go to a school (1) with the highest NCLEX pass rate; and (2) where you’d have the most clinical hours and broadest experiences. They also said that the teacher student ratio was important. A few mentioned that having SIMs and early clinical experiences (0-4 vs. 2+2) were important too.</p>

<p>Based on D’s experiences researching schools, I’d suggest interviewing as many nurses as possible to see if you get the same answers. I also think it’s important to visit the nursing programs in person. There was a huge disparity between nursing programs at every school we visited. Some were almost premed in the number of science classes that were required. Others were more touchy-feely. Some had hospital wards set up in the nursing school, and others had only minimal SIMs. Some had unique clinical experiences to offer, such as burn units or transplant units. There may be a significant benefit to going to school in the location where you want to work someday, since you will develop contacts through your clinicals, the area will be most familiar with your nursing school, and it will be easier to interview while in school.</p>

<p>And, as qdogpa noted, the school is more than a degree. D wanted a “big school” experience, but also learned that nursing schools are a tiny school within the “big school.” Due to the lack of nursing educators and the resources needed for nursing schools, no nursing program will be as large as liberal arts, engineering or education programs. No matter where you go to school, you’ll be with the same smaller pool of classmates and in the same nursing classrooms for a few years. You may also be off-campus a lot doing clinicals. You may find that your class is >80% female. It’s very important that you find a school where you feel you “fit.”</p>

<p>thanks for all the advice, neonzeus! Definitely cleared somethings up.</p>

<p>No problem - another point that I forgot to mention is that it was interesting to compare the number of general ed classes that schools require. D also looked at the number of electives which might be possible.</p>

<p>Since general ed and elective classes can be an opportunity to mingle with the school’s general population (not to mention being an opportunity to stretch academically and have a more traditional college education), D viewed them as a plus. On the other hand, having to meet a lot of general ed requirements can be a negative if the school’s nursing curriculum is already a heavy load.</p>

<p>We also found some nursing schools that offered study abroad over the summer. This was a nice feature, since nursing programs are generaly tracked so that you can’t take a full semester off.</p>

<p>As you start analyzing the similarities and differences between different schools, eventually you will find that one or two programs stand out as being the best match for your personal goals. D was surprised with her own final choice, since it was not the one that she expected to like the best.</p>

<p>Pick a school that goes to hospitals that are progressive which usually means a school near a main city. I went to school in S.F. and worked at most every hospital as well as Stanford for my clinical rotations. </p>

<p>When you go for your first job, apply to the most advanced hospital you can get hired by. Future employers will pay more attention to where you worked your first job than the school you went to.</p>

<p>Additionally, if you think you might go back to school to get your Masters degree, take statistics during your undergrad. It will help you understand the results of medical articles that are showing current research trends of treatments.</p>