How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>Well guess what CC, George Cooney is officially off the SD list. He is now officially married.</p>

<p>Another think I’m think of doing before I retire is to apply for a job with Richard Branson, his company has unlimited vacation. That is my ideal job, it goes well with retirement. I don’t know if he hires me.</p>

<p>^ I worked for a company that had unlimited vacation for managers above a certain level. It seemed worse then having a fixed amount, because there was a lot of pressure to be fully connected and plugged in even while on vacation. IOW, unlimited really meant none.</p>

<p>Plus if you leave the company, you can’t cash anything in.</p>

<p>Notrich, I was being facetious. </p>

<p>^ what notrichenough said. We usually take one vacation a year where my wife really does go radio silent, but otherwise she is at least lightly connected.</p>

<p>Wow, that’s hard.</p>

<p>Wrong thread and I can’t seem to delete</p>

<p>

Haha, good point. :D</p>

<p>Went looking at some condos this weekend. Don’t think I’m ready to downsize yet, and I’m not excited about sharing walls with other people.</p>

<p>^ that’s a frequent topic around here. My wife hated living in apartments; I didn’t mind as much. Otoh, making sure that the driveway is cleared of snow, that repairs get made, etc., seems to fall on me, and I would not mind having someone else worry about it. We can pay someone else to do it, but it would be nice to have one number to call. </p>

<p>In any case, I don’t know if I mentioned it here, but my wife appears not ready to retire, so I think that i can expect to be here for another 5-7 years. I have mixed feelings. I’ll be an empty nester in ~ 2 years, so I’m looking into volunteer work in the area, but no rush. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I snapped up a condo a couple of years ago. A top floor unit sandwiched between a fir escape and an outside wall. I plan to move there when I don’t enjoy gardening anymore.</p>

<p>^^ I live 50 feet apart from my neighbors, but when they start partying I still have to call to quiet them down after midnight.</p>

<p>I live in a townhouse and I don’t hear my neighbors.</p>

<p>I knew a townhouse could work for us because when we vacationed, we occassionally stayed in condos and townhouses and had a great time. </p>

<p>I don’t miss a house but I know others would. </p>

<p>My folks had a “patio home” which was a single family home, but the HOA took care of all outside maintenance. Kind of the best of both worlds.</p>

<p>Every time we go to clean/repair a condo that is empty, I consider whether I could live there or not in retirement.</p>

<p>Condo #1-Very nice complex, could easily live in the complex, but not in the condo. Second floor, people above, below, and on both sides. Worse than that, it’s right next to a busy street. The car noise probably drowns out the neighbors. But since it’s a 3 bedroom and we underprice it, it rents quickly. But yuck.I never viewed this condo before we bought it, would not agreed to buy if if I’d known (husband viewed it). Yet it’s been very profitable.</p>

<p>Condo #2- two level, 3 bedroom, rents very quickly. But in an older complex that would be kind of depressing to me to live in.</p>

<p>Condo #3-bottom level, very nice complex, pretty, upscale condo. Thought I could live there, but yesterday we were in there cleaning, and there was constant noise above us. I thought they were doing aerobic exercises, but my husband said it was the two little kids running around. Never.</p>

<p>Condo #4-top level, most upscale complex. I could live there, though it would be hard with the complaining lady below, telling us we were “heavy walkers.”</p>

<p>Point of my story, I could live in a two level condo, or townhome. Top floor if I had to. Rather unpleasant to think of being in the bottom or middle floor. Even if they neighbors at the time are quiet, you never know about the next ones.</p>

<p>The biggest problem with the condos we looked at is that they are townhouse-style, but they are 4 floors high. It’s a lot of steps, and the stairs are narrow and steep. It doesn’t seem like a place you could easily age in. And only a one-car garage, that’s probably a deal-breaker in the northeast. :)</p>

<p>I would only consider an end unit, then there is only one neighbor and you get half a dozen extra windows. None of those are available, though.</p>

<p>Depends on how the townhouses are built, but 4 flights is too much. </p>

<p>We have the entry way and you climb 7 stairs to the living room or you go down 7 stairs to the bedrooms. It is like a two floor place. </p>

<p>I can see a problem when I am in my 80’s. May have to get one of those chair elevators. </p>

<p>Some condos in NY or SF are over $1,000 a sq ft. I dont think noise is an issue. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well that’s all fine and good unless your community is overrun by gremlins.</p>

<p><a href=“https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3cbrfpVmK8”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3cbrfpVmK8&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>“My folks had a 'patio home/ which was a single family home, but the HOA took care of all outside maintenance. Kind of the best of both worlds.” - Perhaps… but often it is more costly than staying put. It still could be the right answer for some.</p>

<p>I think we could actually be ok in a condo/townhouse now, if adequate privacy. But once we become young-ish retirees it seems we’ll want the space and yard and basement of our current house. Bottom line - we are seriously considering a plan to do the many renovations needed in our 20 year old home. </p>

<p>I am with you @colorado_mom with doing renovations needed in our 22 year old home. We definitely will not sell unless we want to move out of the area - there is a lot of shoddy work on other buildings here which gets discovered over time with maintenance costs and higher energy costs. We had our house built under watchful eyes and much involvement - so our home is well built, with 2 X 6 energy efficient walls and high insulation with ceiling. Heat and air is low cost considering our sq footage. If one of us dies, the other can decide about moving out and moving on and when, and with what home improvements for preparing to sell. As of now, we have another 10 years here with H’s job.</p>

<p>I wish I had the cash flow with a job so I can build up emergency fund and begin some known ‘reno’ like having ceilings be smooth instead of current popcorn. Sending out a letter to someone I believe can help me get in a job of interest - just wish the July interview would have lead me to get hired! The key is to keep eyes and ears open and pursue, pursue, pursue…</p>

<p>SOS - Sending good vibes your way on the job hunt!!! </p>

<p>Iglooo, “A top floor unit sandwiched between a ‘fir’ escape and an outside wall. I plan to move there when I don’t enjoy ‘gardening’ anymore.”</p>

<p>Just found that association funny.</p>