How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>Condos, how big is a good condo size. My sister always has cold feet, she thinks 1600 sq feet for a single person is small. 3BR, 2.5, small lot, 2-story, condo-ish, 2-car attached garage. I would be happy with that I’m by myself.</p>

<p>There are couples that think they need 3,000 to 4,000 ft . Maybe they do. They may not like each other that much and they need that much room so they can keep away from each other. :)</p>

<p>If your sister thinks 1600 sq ft is small, then 1600 sq ft is small. 1600 sq ft isn’t small. :)</p>

<p>Seems to me there’s a perfect business opportunity lurking in these posts: Home maintenance companies. You sign on like insurance, pay a monthly fee sim. to an HOA, and you have one contact to call for repairs, maintenance, etc. Like condos, it could cover exterior and perhaps even add limited interior repairs (with specified dollar max.?). This would need to be more than a “lawn service”. One stop service would cover leaf /snow removal, general yard maintenance, periodic window cleaning, major appliance repair (with specified maximums), minor plumbing fixes, etc. </p>

<p>To be profitable, like insurance, you would typically pay more than you need in repairs, but it offers “peace of mind” for those who want to live in a home without the hassles. There could also be different rates for different age homes (just as there are different rates for different cars). </p>

<p>There are companies who offer similar services for those about to list their home for sale, but I haven’t found one willing to take over both interior and exterior maintenance for existing homes.</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>Dstark, we have 3000 sq ft but it’s not too big. Just right especially when kids come back on/off.</p>

<p>DrGoogle, I figure that when the kids come back…they can use the living room… Or a hotel. :)</p>

<p>Sign me up, kjofkw! But the business would lose money on us, we have SO many repairs! Window rot, roofing, electrical, plumbing, you name it. So much, we’re just putting out fires right now.</p>

<p>You have grown up kids, it’s different. Besides, I like their company. So no hotel. How big is your condo?</p>

<p>1900 sq ft. My grown up daughter and her boyfriend lived with us for a few months last year. No problem. I have 2 bedrooms and a den. Just converted the den to a bedroom. </p>

<p>1900 sq ft is very large for a condo/town home, bigger than many peoples houses.</p>

<p>I think that’s the right size. It depends on how it’s built, it could be small or big depends in the floor plan.</p>

<p>Mr B thinks he needs a yard in retirement. Judging by what he ends up doing most weekends, I do not think he needs one. We rent condos when we vacation in HI, and 1200 sq ft is adequate space for the two of us. As long as there is space to sit outside… Which is not possible in our neck of the woods 90% of the time. :)</p>

<p>I live with my wife and youngest daughter and expect to for many many years.</p>

<p>The three of us lived in a one level three bedroom apartment that was 1400 sq ft. Loved the floor plan. Had a great view. (Have a great view now). Views make a place bigger. Also had usable decks. I would have bought the apartment if it was for sale. It was a little short in the storage department. </p>

<p>1900 sq ft now and everything gets used… </p>

<p>No yard work. For those that like yard work, my place doesn’t work. </p>

<p>Many of my friends are not downsizing and they aren’t moving.</p>

<p>Our first house… for 8 years… was 1200 square feet (3BR, 1bath). It was on a 50x100 corner lot. By the time we left our family of 4 was definitely ready for something bigger. We could go back to it with 2 of us, except for the only-1, upstairs bathroom issue. </p>

<p>When I went with my sister to look at true condo, not the one she ended up purchasing, there were a lot of older people looking to downsize to a condo. These condos have absolutely no yard, just an outdoor place, but no dirt. My sister’s condo has a bit of dirt, total length is about 2-3 small cubicles.
Mine has front and back yard but no grass cutting, mostly cactus and zeriscape.</p>

<p>DrGoogle, are you in nor cal or so cal? </p>

<p>I live in a park so I don’t need a yard. :)</p>

<p>I would happily live in an apartment. A nice balcony with great views sounds delightful. I think my husband would really miss having a garden. I could live with one bedroom. 2 baths is a must (or at least 1 1/2 - we’d need potties if we only had one toilet!).</p>

<p>We popped in to see my husband’s former boss last year on one of our medical check up trips. He and his wife had downsized and bought a condo in a development where they could walk along a waterway to restaurants and some stores (that I would love - if we move I would love to live somewhere walkable). She is very artistic and had gutted the place and made it look like a converted studio loft. It also had a massive deck overlooking a waterway. It was delightful but I don’t think I would be comfortable in a studio (bed in the living area though separated by attractive shelves). I could live in a one bedroom. </p>

<p>Dstark, I’m in Southern Cal. Our city has beautiful parks and that’s one of the reason my sister wants to move to, she can ride her bike, it’s a much safer city for being single.</p>

<p>" He and his wife had downsized and bought a condo in a development where they could walk along a waterway to restaurants and some stores (that I would love - if we move I would love to live somewhere walkable)"</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Swim, my city is very walkable. That’s one of the reasons my husband likes about it, lots of park and lots of trees. It reminds him of England but a bit more modern.</p>

<p>DrGoogle, and all this time I thought you lived in nor cal. :slight_smile: Then I read about cactus and everything changed. :)</p>