How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

<p>swim - you may like this website… <a href=“http://www.walkscore.com/”>http://www.walkscore.com/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Swimcatsmom, some people are really able to enjoy growing things in large pots on their balconies and in community gardens. Not like he must give that all up.</p>

<p>Dstark, I used to live there and still own a house there so I could technically move back. Waiting to see where kid #2 ends up. I feel like I’m from both areas but I certainly lives in Southern Cal much longer than Northern Cal.</p>

<p>My sister is only interested in growing herbs. That’s it. It looks like I might want to do her landscaping for her.</p>

<p>DrGoogle…choices…choices. :)</p>

<p>I would enjoy a balcony and growing things in pots. That’s my kind of gardening. We are thinking of moving to somewhere in the SC area. I 've always wanted to live near the ocean and my son also lives in that area and likes the idea of having family closer by. I’m not sure I’ll find anywhere there that I can walk to places from (not in my budget). I like the walkscore link - thank you.</p>

<p>Probably one of the things I miss the most about England is being able to walk to places.</p>

<p>Interesting story about inflation. I may have to change the numbers I use with the financial calculators. </p>

<p><a href=“Why the CPI is not misleading - MarketWatch”>Why the CPI is not misleading - MarketWatch;

<p>I could never live in a condo unless it had a very large balcony. I grow things in pots - but they’re 9’ tall orange trees and 5’ tall plumeria. And they’re not exactly native around here. I need a lot of space. Winter in our house looks like a forest. Spider mites are my sworn enemies. So it looks like we’ll always have a house. </p>

<p>I don’t really want to downsize anyway, though. I hope to have enough bedrooms to welcome children with their spouses, grandchildren, and even my kids’ in-laws. My poor beleaguered H just shakes his head because my idea of “downsizing” is a home with more bedrooms than we have now. He asks me if I want to have to clean a big house just for those few days when family would visit. Um, yep. </p>

<p>One of my friends is “downsizing” to a 4-5 acre, 7-8000 sq ft house from a 1.5 acre/4000sq ft. When I move, I’d like a tiny house. We once spent a vacation in a tiny apt in French Alps. It was only about 4-500 sq ft. Loved it. We also briefly lived in a house boat, maybe about 7-800 sq ft. Toatally enjoyed it. I like a tiny house where I can see everything I own.</p>

<p>Renting versus owning - depends where you are. Also some landlords on this thread - found this interesting on MSN today:</p>

<p>"A weak economy and stagnant housing market is good news for one group of Americans: Landlords. Although they’re already known for driving a hard bargain, they’re about to get tougher.</p>

<p>Since the recession, the demand for rentals has risen and monthly rents are also getting pricier. A majority of property managers (62%) say rents will rise 6% over the next 12 months and 85% of them say they’ve already risen over the last year, according to the annual survey of property managers and owners by Rent.com. In fact, 50% of property managers saw an increase in the number of former homeowners seeking apartment rentals since 2013 and they report that vacancy rates have fallen to 8.3% this year from 8.6% last year and 10.9% in 2009.</p>

<p>Landlords are also getting stricter. “They’re giving less concessions to renters because they have less vacancies,” says Niccole Schreck, senior brand manager at Rent.com. “It’s now becoming more competitive for renters.” More than half of property managers (57%) say they don’t have to give concessions to renters such as a free month’s rent, waiving a monthly deposit and/or offering a deal on the rent, versus just 45% last year and 22% in 2010. In 2014, 43% of property managers noticed a decrease in vacancy rates — 29% faster than 2013 — meaning it’s easier to find a tenant." </p>

<p>Interesting info. We know one guy that works in the new home/condo industry… but he partners with siblings on side business buying/ rental units. His reasoning seemed logical - typically when the new housing market gets depressed the rental market gets better. </p>

<p>All of my siblings have rentals but it’s because the houses they bought for living and then grew out of the house or moved so they turn into rentals. They didn’t start out buying for rentals.</p>

<p>We are definitely getting more picky. Not willing to hold something for a month, and bend over backwards to get someone to rent. The last condo we rented, the tenants were certain they had the upper hand, and that we would do anything to get them. Didn’t ask for an application, wanted us to build them a small fence for the patio and asked if we’d be willing to get a new stove. They also wanted to see a copy of the contract, we suspected, so they could figure out how easily they could break it. I followed up with the condo mgmt about the fence (they said no), but in the meantime, someone else rented it instantly. The first couple seemed shocked that they lost it, because they were there first. I really wanted to tell them, in a hot market, you don’t negotiate, you apply immediately and sell yourself.
Commitment talks, don’t be indecisive and demanding.</p>

<p>Had a great meeting with our financial planner today. That tops off after H got a raise this week (his last one was 2012, and had been spotty in recent years). And today was my birthday - lots of good Karma. </p>

<p>1/3 of retirement money(50-50 for H and me) is with financial planner and 2/3 is in 401(k) with H company. We just diversified H’s Roth (under financial planner) with some of holding buying into W.E. Donoghue Power Dividend Index (PWRDX) - they use Transparent Tactical Asset Allocation (TAA) methodology, which is using a different strategy than our other Roth invested funds.60% of our financial planner invested money is with Allianz 360 Annuity (H and I each) - that particular annuity is no longer offered (insurance co found it was not as profitable for them, but was great for investor).</p>

<p>So pleased with our financial planner. I think our retirement income will be fine - current projection off our 401(k) is $9300/mo. So add an additional 1/3 plus SS. I still want to go back to work, which will help us shore up our emergency fund and have money for home improvements.</p>

<p>With most investments, prior month and prior quarter some downturn, but YTD and 1 year better…</p>

<p>SOS, happy birthday.
Wow almost $10k a month is a lot of money. I did some fine tuning of numbers now that H & I have in mind a retirement date. I think at most we only have to withdraw a small amount from our 401k to cover expenses that I might have missed. I planning for 110% retirement income vs expense. With that rate of withdrawal money will last longer. But once I hit a certain age, there will be more income from other pensions to come in. I’m using them as inflation adjustment to our income.
My only concern is the kid with no job. I shouldn’t be worry but I’m still worry. Ideally I would prefer the last kid to have a job first before we retire. But we are not getting younger and want to retire while we still have our health.
Does anyone here have similar concern?</p>

<p>I’m sure plenty of people have the same concern about their kids. Whether it’s no job, or their kids being underemployed. But what does that have to do with when you retire? Are you planning on downsizing the house, but can’t if you need another bedroom?</p>

<p>No I feel better that they are employed. </p>

<p>H retired after last tuition payment and mortgage payment was made, which co-incidentally was when his pension was highest. D still hasn’t gotten a job since she graduated from college. We are hoping and do support her, for now. Glad our parents don’t need our financial help. Glad S doesn’t need our financial help either. </p>

<p>It’s not tuition I’m worrying about. I guess I want my kids to be financially independent.</p>

<p>Yeah, I know what you mean about wanting them to be financially independent. I’m just looking at wanting that last tuition bill to be paid. 15 more payments!</p>