How much do YOU think YOU need to retire? ...and at what age will you (and spouse) retire? (Part 1)

When it’s final, please temporarily replace your photo with a pic of your view. Many of us won’t get to the beach/shore/coast this summer and we’d love to enjoy your view vicariously. Or something close if your actual view reveals personal location information.

Wow @Hoggirl !!! So happy for you. You will not regret it. Enjoy every bit of your new digs and the view!!

Yes Congrats @Hoggirl

Sounds fabulous with the Beach view home!

@hoggirl, enjoy the view. My Dad always said that the important thing was to have a “Fernblick.,” German for distant view.

@dragonmom @BunsenBurner @Nhatrang @IxnayBob

Thank you, all! @IxnayBob - love that term! My maternal grandfather (though I never knew him as he died when my mother was only 2 years old) was a German immigrant. I don’t know any German, so thank you for teaching it to me. Ds actually has a minor in German studies. I may dub our in-condo little bar area as “The Fernblick.”

@dragonmom, I replaced my avatar with the view from my home office. Will cycle through some of the wildlife pictures.

Beautiful! We have a pretty yard but it’s only a nahenblick.

Ha! People showing off their German :slight_smile: It is so German. Why would a word for “view” end with a harsh sound k? Not so view-y.

A more colloquial English term for making love also ends with a harsh sounding k. Although, being honest, I’m pretty sure it’s derived from the German, with the vowels changed ?

Every time I hear a German talks, I feel like they are about to hack up the stuff that stuck in their throat lol.

Making fun of the way people talk can get you cancelled in some circles. But it’s German, so it’s funny, right?

German is the best. How can you dislike a language with words like gemütlichkeit, wanderlust and schadenfreude?

Nah, that’s Dutch ?

My best friend in HS was Dutch. That’s what I told him about the sound of the language. In my defense, I was 15 yo.

@Njatrang, there are many dialects of German. They are as dissimilar as Alabama English is to Maine English.

@IxnayBob you are sooooooo right. My comment really comes from hearing my Belgian co-workers who mostly speak Dutch with each other. But many are actually German Belgians who speak Dutch with other Dutch speaking Belgians.

I learned hochDeutsch in college. Was totally useless in Bavaria!

We just got back from going over to our if-everything-goes-as-planned new place (inspection is today). I took a pic from our balcony. As requested upthread I have changed my avatar to show our view.

:slight_smile: I’m really happy!!!

Really nice, @Hoggirl!

You can’t beat a nice view.

Love it, @Hoggirl!

I am invited to your new place, right? :slight_smile: Gorgeous.

@Iglooo - sure! Come on down!

It’s hard to imagine that the pace of our company could increase, but it might??? Pre-Covid we averaged someone coming to visit (other than family, just for 3-4 nights) every six weeks! Maybe folks will just want to stay longer now.

I do wonder when travel will resume and when I will be comfortable having anyone in my home. I’d be more willing to risk family visiting before friends.