How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

Yes - thanks for that link! I am aware of this, but it’s good to have it up here for others.

If he goes, it will be through a sponsorship with his company, and they actually pay his tuition (plus a small stipend - though not enough to cover all his living expenses) with his commitment to return for two additional years of employment with them. If he doesn’t return, he repays the amount they provide him. Basically, a loan if he doesn’t go back to work for them. And, it’s apportioned. So, if he went back for one of those two years, then he would have to repay half of what they had sponsored.

My all-in amount that I am willing to contribute would not even equal the entire amount of his total tuition over the two year program. As I said, we paid full-freight for his undergrad at a private, so we are only wiling to do so much. Simply gifting him the money gives him the most flexibility. How nicely he lives during grad school, whether he would return to employment with the sponsoring company and for how long, etc. Starting to gift before he attends has allowed me to spread out my all-in amount over time. He may not even go to grad school, and I have attached no strings to the gifts I have given thus far. However, he knows that should he go that counts toward our, “pile,” for grad school for him.

I hope that makes sense.

I don’t want to drift too far afield from the topic of retirement, but planned giving and/or paying for additional education beyond undergrad for kids is at least tangentially related to retirement considerations.

3 Likes

In my experience, long term care has come a long long way. I remember when my great grandmother was in a facility in the '80s and it was depressing and institutional looking. It’s definitely not like that anymore.

My aunt is currently in a rehab/long term care facility after a major fall. She said she couldn’t believe how nice the facility is and that she asked three times if her insurance would really cover her stay. She’s in a restored mansion and said she feels like she’s in a B&B. She will mostly be able to safely return home but it’s a comfort to know that she can go back there when it’s time for more care and that she would be happy.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! And we raised our kids to think the same way.

We paid for college so they would have no debt.

In the future, it would be nice surprise them/offer some help - some money for grad school, or take a family trip, or give them one of our old cars, or money towards a new one, etc. We are in decent shape, but at this point don’t have extra money floating around.

When I see a good deal on something - like a set of pots and pans - I will grab a couple of sets for when the kids move out. I have a nice little stash in the basement for them :smile:

And I think teaching them about finances has also been a good way to launch them - saving, spending, investing, etc. They both started investment accounts with their own money. Our “gift/assistance” was that they could get in with our firm w/o fees and that my husband said we’d back it - they would never lose their initial investment (they were both nervous about taking a good chunk of their money which was a LOT to them).

So while we don’t have a boatload of money, we “help” in other ways :smile: Which, honestly, will probably be better for them in the long run.

6 Likes

On gifting (per @bluebayou). We have a trust set up to absorb money that is not in our retirement plans. We are hoping that the trust will help each kid with a downpayment for a house, grandkids’ eduction if we haven’t funded 529s for them, and emergencies if there are any. Because my retirement plans (originally 412i than 415i) were originally defined benefit plans, we were able to accumulate a fair bit into them, though we had to roll them into a 401k at some point which limited contributions. There is no way to keep those funds out of the estate if we have not spent them and they will be subject to ordinary tax at the highest rate. Assuming we live, I imagine that we will use up most of the funds in the 401ks.

On moving close to a kid and discussing it with them. @Youdon_tsay, for us it would not be weird to discuss moving to be close to the kids, although the move might be in the other direction and has already been raised by ShawD. A few years ago, ShawD was thinking of moving to Boulder CO, which is one of the places I love, and where one of my closest friends lives. Out of the blue, she said, “Dad, I’ll live there and scout out the neighborhoods and then you can buy a two-family house. In the beginning, you and Mom will live upstairs and I will live downstairs. When I have kids, you can help me take care of the kids. Later on, when you get older and stairs are a problem, you guys can move downstairs and I will take care of you.” She moved instead to SF with a bF and lives with ShawSon. She actually found a triple-decker there for us to buy with that same stated purpose (including a unit for ShawSon and his then GF). We love Marin (and I would have happily moved there) but don’t actually want to live in SF. Then, we decided to sell the house we raised the kids in and get a smaller house but one with a view. We succeeded with getting a view by finding an extraordinary lot on a river in the same town but the only drawback was the house on the lot was more than 50% larger than the house we were trying to downsize from. It has two wings. One was a four room in-law suite built by the parents when they moved for six months a year to FL and the other was the 5 BR 4 BR house that they raised their six kids in. The youngest kid raised her family there (at least for the last 10 years). Given all of our space, we made the in-law suite our master bedroom as it is right on the water and would afford one-floor living when we aged. When ShawD visited after we had purchased the house but before we actually closed, she said, “When BF and I have kids, we will move back to SF and live here” (in the main house) and you can help us take care of the kids when they are young and when you get older, I’ll take care of you." So, who knows if this will come to pass, but we never had to ask about our kids helping. Also, since ShawD is a nurse practitioner, her capacity to help aging parents is probably greater than most.

Who knows if that will happen, but I think that she would be geared to take care of us if she moved to us or if we moved to her. No weirdness in that discussion. It is really hard to do what is needed from a distance (both are mothers are a flight away).

Like a lot of you, we have done a lot for our kids. Fortunately, both kids recognize that we have done so. First is the money (school and grad schools paid and no debt for each kid). More important, we invested a massive amount of time and energy into figuring out how to educate ShawSon who is brilliant and severely dyslexic (and had some health issues) and then ShawD, who was diagnosed at age 9 with a rare genetic disease that would lead in a few years to functional blindness. In our son’s case, I read a lot of what was known at the time about dyslexia and how to work with it and negotiated with the school systems (public and private) and met with every teacher every semester (and sometimes in between) and dealt with special ed folks, principals, the Dep. Superintendent of schools etc. I heavily influenced the choice of his undergraduate school (a small LAC over a couple of Ivies) and really pushed him to the grad school he attended as I knew it would be the best for him (a month in, he said, “I now see why you wanted me to go here. I get it. Thanks. I’m really glad I’m here.”). I was one of the investors in his first startup in the fall of his senior year in college (which is still in business 7 years later but will never pay me back the modest sum I invested, but the startup helped get him into the best grad/business school combo in the world for what he wanted to do). With ShawD, we had three years of doing research on retinal disease (me), getting tests (ShawWife) and seeing doctors and pushing them beyond the “let’s wait and see” to figure out what was really wrong (both of us) and vision therapists (ShawWife). In the process, we were able to discover that the original diagnosis, though entirely understandable given the original data, was incorrect and were able to find someone who helped improve her vision to 20/20 distance.

I don’t think that ShawSon would be particularly helpful with respect to physical issues as we age. When he was around 9, I wanted to buy a house in the Canadian Rockies (which would have been a great investment) but ShawWife who handles the physical aspects of life including real estate in our relationship, really did not want to do it, so we didn’t. ShawSon saw that I was disappointed and came up to me and said, “Don’t worry Dad. When I get older, I will buy you your mountain house.” He has not done that, but in the past couple of years, ShawSon has volunteered that he would like to put money into the trust if he does well. As a co-founder of a venture-backed Silicon Valley startup, his net worth could rapidly exceed mine. He knows the money would in that case would benefit us if we needed it or his sister. Complicated issues with his actually putting money in the trust, but his heart is in the right place. He would generally be helpful with financial management (and money if it were needed). As I may have mentioned earlier in this thread, I suggested to him that, because it might be hard for him to put money into the trust, if he does well and we don’t need financial help, he might help ShawD a bit (help her buy a nicer house or education for her kids if that is not covered, etc.).

We feel very fortunate that we were able to help our kids when they needed it the most and that they are supportive of each other and want to reciprocate if they can. Our goal, like @cbreeze, which we have stated to the kids, is that we live in our new house until they wheel us out (assuming no bike ride over the cliff). We don’t expect to stop working as we love what we do and we are set up to have one floor living (except for my office, which is on the second floor).

Finally, @88jm19, we have planned our life on the assumption that there would be no inheritance. Assuming our financial plans work as planned and there is some inheritance (still likely but already a lot smaller than it could have been given my MIL"s strange financial decision-making), we would disclaim it so that it would go directly to our kids or to our trust.

3 Likes

@ClassicMom98 As we dealt with a couple of folks who had varying levels of dementia/brain changes, one thing I found surprising is how they were not them. Not the person we had known all those years. And yet they were still them in other ways and had very strong opinions about things-about what to eat, what to wear, what to do. It is a very interesting mind stretch to be helping someone who is quite helpless and still quite opinionated.

3 Likes

@saillakeerie I can, now, understand how tough it can be to be in the home you shared with someone now dead. My mother’s last year or so was extremely tough. I still have no erased the mental picture of her in one room, such that I sometimes imagine redoing the room to erase the picture. Not that the picture wouldn’t still be in my mind, but that it would not be triggered by the backdrop.

For me, that demented person was not my mother, not my real Mom, the lovely one. That was someone she would never want to have been and I am happy to erase that image and replace it with older, happy, memories.

But imagining I was seeing my life partner in every room, that was just be salt in the wound!

3 Likes

So this comment probably overlaps BagAweek thread … but even parents who think they want to stay in their house forever should be trying to declutter in case a quick move elsewhere (apartment or care facility, in their town or yours) is needed someday.

6 Likes

@somemom I know how difficult your time through the parents’ health and safety needs from a distance. I retire in less than 2 weeks from my work at skilled care/rehab facility. I worked for 2 years on 2nd shift in skilled care (RN, BSN), and then the last 2 1/2 years have been doing nursing admission assessments on all the patients coming into rehab - some were also Hospice respite care. So have seen a range of circumstances on both the patient side and the family side. On the skilled care side, there were some in private rooms with the room looking much like a home setting - a few had numerous visits in a week before Covid hit. Others in semi-private rooms also had involved families. Whenever there was a medical situation with a patient, the nurse called ‘the sponsor’ - typically had 3 names and phone numbers per patient – and so of course we had some concerned family members and some who had very little concern.

DH and I continue to work on keeping good health (including loss of lbs with being overweight, and exercise). I just got the flu shot, while DH refuses. I can lead a horse to water…

3 Likes

I agree. Unfortunately, a lot of people put that off until they reach a stage/age where it is just not physically, mentally or psychologically possible. And there is another school of thought “it will be my kid’s problem” (I have actually heard that). And then there was my mom who threw away stuff like brand new clothes because she wanted to get rid of “everything”.

2 Likes

@ClassicMom98 IDK if SIL has any power of attorney or health care power of attorney, and if there are any advance directives - maybe mental status will preclude obtaining now. Social worker at Hospital can be helpful - don’t allow her to rehab at home – she will qualify for rehab days in a facility and family does have a choice from the hospital – they provide a list of area facilities, and then depending on a bed becoming available… Also Do Not Resuscitate Status – if MIL and FIL wish that, can more easily be done in hospital with MDs there signing off and individual or family member signing off.

Once you move them into personal residence, can lose control. MIL ‘could’ potentially discharge herself from rehab facility, but not w/o family help.

I have seen where family has had ambulance transfer the patient w/o patient seeing the family, because the family cannot take the pressure the patient puts on them.

SiL has power of attorney but she’s the one who would be pushing for them to rehab at home. She’s the one insisting they stay out of professional care. She had a good heart but not practical

Smart rehab facilities are smart to have it feel hotel like – that way the resident can want to stay to take full benefit of their rehab days. Medicare and therefor the supplement pays for rehab days if resident makes improvements during their time allowed (if no improvements, it then becomes long term care and not covered at that point).

Unfortunately some patients in rehab can no longer manage going back to their prior living arrangements due to their physical and or mental limitations. Then that is where the family and patient often come into ‘crisis’ mode.

1 Like

I think my mother has been in rehab hospitals three times (Guillane-Barre and two broken hips). In all cases, the transfer out was complex because we didn’t quite know when it would be and with at least one of the two hips, we thought it was premature. I recall this being pretty stressful. Is that an issue generally?

@SOSConcern, the best thing we did was get her into a good rehab hospital each time.

A few years ago, she moved to Memphis to be near my sister and her husband. He is a highly-regarded surgeon and the docs call him after they do anything, so I suspect that the pathway to rehab and length of time there would be smoothed out by professional courtesy.

2 Likes

The family has say with moving from the hospital to rehab – so if they want a particular rehab, sometimes may wait a day or so to get a rehab bed in the facility desired.

The hospital often does want to discharge people ASAP because they get reimbursed by Diagnostic Related Grouping (DRG) so if you stay under the number of days they ‘save’ money, and over the number of days, they spend more on the care than they might be reimbursed. They tried to rush my mom out of the hospital after a major car accident, so I found out it took 2 assist for ambulating just from bed to commode, a very short distance, and I talked to the charge nurse and they stopped the push (mom was in WI). My younger sister took a week off work to care for mom at her home and I took a week off of work to care for mom the 2nd week. My older sister was just willing to get mom flipped into rehab or skilled care at her visit. The hospital required a MD to visit mom at bedside to ‘approve’ her stay a few more hospital days, and he was attending a concert or some event and he came at bedside in a tux, which impressed my mom. She could be very charming and also her thick Swiss accent did the number - he approved her staying a few more days.

As I read some recent posts, I had so many random thoughts that Id like to share.

My parents, my in-laws, friends’ parents, etc….I know so many personal examples where the aging parents want to stay in their home because they want their independence. They fear change. They fear “the nursing home” with linoleum floors, mini blinds, no privacy and basically a place to die.

There may be many places like that, but if you plan financially and with purpose, there are some very good senior communities with varying levels of care.

We live in the Chicago area. We found a “good fit” for both my parents and my in-laws…at different communities…because they had different needs and savings. Since we started our research before there was an event, we had time to explore options and address concerns. I can’t imagine having sensitive senior care conversations under stress.

Of course we had to deal with expectations…senior communities aren’t necessarily the nursing homes of old. In a previous post I compared senior community living to a dorm or a cruise ship.

Starting as independent living (IL) residents meant a private living room/bedroom/bathroom/kitchen, housekeeping and meals for a set monthly price. Amenities include community areas, activity rooms, on-premise library, bank, convenience store, ice cream parlor, hair salon, swimming pool and fitness center.

But before we signed contracts, we had to talk through cost in detail and a whole bunch (understatement!) of “what if” scenarios. It was a little strange but both sets of parents thought they couldn’t afford it….and my husband had to show them multiple times they could.

Talking with a few friends, this may be an obstacle for some. I guess it’s not uncommon for aging parents to resist sharing/disclosing their finances. And in many instances, the aging parents are in denial and don’t want to think about possible cognitive and/or physical decline. (Honestly, who does?)

Another thing that people should be aware of is that the senior person doesn’t necessarily get to choose where they live when it comes to level of care. The first time through the process we knew there was an interview with the community “director”. However it was a surprise that there was a cognitive exam. For my parents it was a non-issue because we moved them before there was any cognitive decline. For my in-laws however it was very stressful. If they didn’t get a certain score, there was no re-taking the test, they couldn’t move in as ‘independent living’ and the score had an expiration date…which meant if they didn’t sign a contract within a certain period of time (I think it was 2 months), they would’ve had to re-test.

There was a financial incentive to start in independent living at both of our parents’ communities. It makes sense if you think about it from the provider’s point of view. The senior community also gives preference to current residents. So if you move from IL to assisted living or memory care, you may benefit if there is limited availability…something to consider.

4 Likes

IDK how many of you have money in various Mutual Funds, or if any of you are in the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio. “The Collapse of Infinity Q is a Warning to Investors” Sept 5 2021 NBC News.

Many holders are retail investors. Accounts at Charles Schwab held 52% of the mutual shares. State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio held a $53 million investment in Infinity Q hedge fund as of Jan 2021.

Isn’t this old news? They make it sound like the sky fell out. The pension fund lost $22M on its Infinity Q investment while the total value of the pension fund’s assets is $95B.

Often times its a question of what comes first. Loss of independence or move to a nursing home. For some people I think its the admission of lack of independence that is the problem moreso than the move itself. Its tough. No easy paths to navigate. And typically there are different interested parties wo need to be in agreement.

My mother in law took in her mother who was horrible in terms of dementia and being totally nasty. My mother in law now tells my wife that before she gets there, put her in a home. Do not attempt to have her live at our house. We shall see if she remembers that at the time (if it comes).

@bunsenburner it lost $53 million, so 5.5%. For a mutual fund, this is not acceptable - so obviously whoever manages OH State Teachers Fund needs to reassess how they choose various funds.

Retirement System of Alabama for years has had a lead person that wanted to stay in AL due to his kids being in AL - he could have had a big career on Wall Street.

It had an investment of $53M of which $22M was a loss.

Blockquote

The State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio, a $95 billion fund, held a $53 million investment in an Infinity Q hedge fund as of January, an email from its spokesman said.

Rudy Fichtenbaum, a newly elected trustee of the Ohio teachers’ pension fund, told NBC News it appears to have lost $22 million in Infinity Q.

So $22M/$95B - nowhere near 5.5%.