How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

Walking off the job - which essentially is leaving the patients w/o a caregiver and stretching the rest of the employees. That is what I meant with immaturity of young employees. However some have done something wrong during the shift (cursing, etc) - and have had behaviors where the charge nurse had told them to clock out and see the Director of Nursing or Administrator the next day.

Some leave rather than get fired, or decide they don’t want to get written up – leaving w/o notice.

When you leave w/o notice (2 weeks, managers 4 weeks) - that is not someone you want to rehire.

You make yourself a bad worker walking off the job or not working out a notice.

We have had some employees leave for another job, and leave with proper notice – and have come back. However typically they also are hoping to find ‘greener pastures’ elsewhere - and maybe so - leaving a 2nd time. IDK anyone who came back after leaving twice.

1 Like

cbreeze - just so I understand - the really bad nursing homes your physician husband visited were those that were in anyway involved in Medicaid? In other words, the only ones that ‘wouldn’t kick you out’ are the bad ones? If so, that’s really disconcerting…

No, it is mostly about economics. The better ratio of staff to patients, the better the care, hopefully. He thinks most staff in nursing homes are already very stretched. It’s up to you to look into each individual nursing home.

Ok whew! I just wanted to make sure “they can’t kick you out” wasn’t irrevocably related to “bad quality of care!” I know one has to investigate. The best way I’ve found is to talk to people in the private home health aide business. They tell you the real behind the scenes info, apart from the fancy lobbies and pretty flowers.

1 Like

Sometimes different meanings are given to terms when 2 people talk. What is the difference between a stock fund and a mutual fund that owns only stocks?

3 Likes

There was a lot of praise for HSAs in this thread… So here comes my red flag warning! Kid who had an HSA with her employer quit her job and started a new position. Well… her HSA provider now requires her to pay $25 a month (!!!) in account maintenance fees because she had less than $X in it. Bad, bad deal.

3 Likes

Another caveat… check what happens if midyear departure. I think (?) that when I was on a layoff list, before dodging that bullet, it seemed like I was going to loose the year’s HSA contributions that had not yet been spent.

1 Like

She can move the HSA to one with no ongoing fees if she does not want to pay ongoing fees.

Best Health Savings Account (HSA) Providers of 2023 suggests that Fidelity, Lively, or HealthEquity may be suitable for someone looking for no ongoing fees (although mutual fund investments if one chooses them may have expenses).

5 Likes

She can roll that HSA over to a different provider once every 12 months. Find one with lower/no fees.

2 Likes

Can’t to that apparently for some reason. I will look into this closer but I’m not holding my breath. PITA is an understatement. She might just cash this out and move on. From now on, no more HSA for her but the best health plan, like those with $200/$1000 annual deductible/OUP for the same monthly price.

1 Like

I have moved an HSA for exactly that reason (avoiding fees after ending employment that had the plan with that HSA). So it can be done. The new HSA should have instructions on how to move money from an old HSA to it.

Seems very unusual to get a low deductible plan for the same price as a high deductible plan. Usually the high deductible plans are significantly less expensive.

2 Likes

Not when you are very young and work for a virtual startup apparently :joy:

Highly recommend Fidelity to transfer the HSA. No fees.

3 Likes

Thank you. We will definitely look into it. Her HSA is through her former employer (a behemoth co.). Hope it can be done. Kid claims the rules do not allow transfer below a certain threshold which she has not yet met. So she is pissed and says that unless she is sure she would stick to her job for a while, she is not going to touch any HSA in the future.

For a small HSA balance, maybe she could us it with various charges for dentist, eye doctor, supplies (including masks and sanitizer, who knew?) - IRS Qualified Medical Expenses - HSA Bank

Thanks! This might be the best option, but the company administering the HSA apparently makes it extremely difficult to use the funds. There are multiple hoops to jump through to do any withdrawal, especially now after she resigned and left the employer. She might just pay the taxes on the $3k she saved and move on. No more such nonsense and hassle, just not worth it. A lesson learned.

2 Likes

I’d probably do same. The tax should not be too bad, and she probably saved taxes when she deposited the money.

On the HSA topic, make sure to check your accounts / earnings. In the last years of my job I had HSA that allowed rollover year to year… so I did max deduction to save for retirement (also got a bonus for picking high deductible + HSA plan). It was not until I was retired that I actually used the Fidelity id/password to study it more. Ugh… was making almost no earnings since all was in a default cash-like category. So I did some “transfers” within the HSA to other investments to get better returns.

2 Likes

The company administering the HSA has no obligation to determine whether or not the money is being used for qualified purposes. That is solely the responsibility of the owner of the HSA account. I have never heard of an administrator that makes it difficult to access the funds. There is no reason for that, and it would make me mad, too. Not mad enough to give up my HSA account, in which I have accumulated quite a bit of money that will never be taxed. And certainly not mad enough to pay a penalty, especially when it can be rolled over to another HSA administrator. I suggest choosing the new administrator & asking them to help with the rollover.

My Fidelity HSA comes with a debit card, making usage easy. I assume other HSA have similar setup.

When I first retired, I used the HSA debit card for dentist appointment. (I opted to be self-pay for dental). I was intending to do same for all medical bills and copay. Then our financial planner encouraged me to instead leave it alone in the short term since the earnings are tax-free.

Mine too and I can also transfer $$$ out free to my bank account no questions asked. But you do that to cover med bills/covered items you paid out of pocket earlier. The only person you have to prove it to is the IRS if you’re audited (and of course, I have all receipts, bills, etc)