How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

Tmobile prices include taxes. After a miserable decade on AT&T we switched and other than some lousy data coverage in middle America, we have been nothing but happy. I think we pay $37 per line on our family plan, unlimited.

3 Likes

I pay $20 for unlimited text and call, only 1GB though of data with Consumer Cellular. We use Wifi most of the time. I have this plan for years. I just recently saw Verizon has $25 for Visible plan, but Iā€™m not switching because Iā€™m ok with my plan.

We also switched to T-Mobile. Weā€™ve been happy with the coverage, which I never thought Iā€™d say as I live in an area thatā€™s been very spotty for all carriers.

A flat rate, includes taxes and unlimited calling and data.

1 Like

ATT was no longer offering our unlimited phone planā€“4 linesā€“to new customers and told us our rate would go up $12 per month to keep it. We switched to another virtually identical plan and our monthly bill DROPPED $15 per month. So in total weā€™re paying $27 less than the old plan would have cost.

3 Likes

We have two decent choices with high speed Internet. Our neighborhood just got fiberoptic installed the last couple of months.

Interesting how stuff pops up on Facebook feed after logging into current cell plan carrier. DH ā€˜foundā€™ better cell plan that way. We buy the Sim cards (coming in 2 days) for $70, and go into their local store with our phones. Stated $40/month cheaper for our monthly billing on two phones, but I expect maybe $30/month savings. New cell carrier has wide network. Since others mentioned plans - we were on Verizon for a long time (over 10 years), and are switching to T Mobile. Before we were on Verizon, we were on AT&T, but found better pricing and wider US coverage (at the time) with Verizon.

Another thing is one can have 5 G ā€˜hotspotā€™ with phone and if phone is next to computer or lap top can use that for internet. DH (EE) doesnā€™t want to go to that (too complicated).

We have fast internet with our current service and the option for the fiberoptic (AT&T). Some of the neighbors have switched to AT&T for internet, but have found that if there is a service problem, they have the same wait time. We have a neighborhood Facebook, and community NextDoor. We still keep a land line phone - which we use a lot, and that comes with our internet plan. I like to have doctor and others call that home number, and we listen to the messages if we are not home. I like talking on the land line phone better than the cell phone.

We are fortunate to live in an area where there is competition available for both cell phone and internet - and that tends to keep costs down in a free market.

Once one notices rate hikes, it is a matter of wanting to do something and taking the time to research ā€“ and how much faith/trust one has with the new plan.

An interesting mini-trendā€¦ financially secure boomer retirees take on part time work just for the travel perks:

7 Likes

I saw that! For people that have not had the ability to travel and have the health and desire - that is terrific.

1 Like

I love this! I like a good bargain so Iā€™d totally do this if I had a free calendar.

1 Like

My husbandā€™s friends, they were teacher and engineer at one point, but always good with singing and playing guitar, they are working at some Cruise ship as entertainers, sort of part time retirement jobs.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve had that happen a couple of times with AT&T - call about something or go in to get a new phone and they offer to look at our plan and then offer the same or better plan at a lower rate. Last time I made the person swear it absolutely was going to be the same plan with no changes or extra fees. And it wasā€¦ We do however have 5 lines and unlimited everything so we are paying top tier. But last time the monthly bill dropped and we got HBO Max included.

I thought this article sums things up pretty well.

https://www.supermoney.com/7-tips-living-fixed-income/

2 Likes

Thanks to this thread I called my cell phone and got $10 reimbursement, somehow they upgraded my plan without me knowing it.

5 Likes

Yes, we have a very old family plan with 15g data. The charge is ridiculous. However, the fact that I usually spend hours in the local store with poor results has led to inertia.

I have a ā€œBusiness Premierā€ account. Couldnā€™t even get through on the phone via a ā€œpriority line.ā€

I do think the companies need to be telling total rates. Airlines can figure total ticket costs; Iā€™m confident cell phone companies could, too.

1 Like

Weā€™ve been cleaning up any repeating bills as we get ready to full pay for college. Do we use it? Do we need it? Etc. My husband found that he had a large number of bills on his corporate Amex that he no longer really needs or uses. Since he owns the business thatā€™s a lot of $ for disposable income. Iā€™ve found quite a bit so far. Last thing I did was get rid of the Pod. Iā€™m up to a nice car payment but am going to wait until prices come down.

4 Likes

I was wondering what great deals they were referring to, and I see itā€™s about the cheap standby flights and discounted hotels. Which made me remember that as a retired airline employee, I can travel standby. Never wanted to, though, because of the risk of not being able to get on your flight (or get home). But now that Iā€™m retired, who cares?

I was talking to my husband yesterday, and he mentioned something Iā€™d said earlier. Weā€™ve never had both money and time (just one or the other), but now we finally have both. An issue is that I miss travel, itā€™s been my job, and a huge part of my life for 37 years. But he doesnā€™t miss it. He has projects, and is going to start a major volunteer endeavor. I always wanted to do a lot of travel after retirement, but my travel partner isnā€™t very interested. I might look at some trips for retired female travelers. If those exist!

10 Likes
6 Likes

Thank you @oldmom4896. That looks very intriguing!

1 Like

I have a FB friend (someone I knew in real life many years ago) who went on a trip with them and really enjoyed it.

3 Likes

I ran into a woman who used to be in my book club. We were never close so I lost contact with her when she dropped out. She told me that her husband had two part time jobs, one at a hotel working the front desk and another at our small airport working for United unloading baggage. She said they had been to Spain in May courtesy of the perks of the two jobs. She said that he was going to go down to just one job the one at the hotel. She felt the lodging discounts for themselves and family were a more desirable perk. He is a retired engineer.

7 Likes

I had no idea such group travel existed until you asked and I googled out of curiosity.

https://womentraveling.com/travel-calendar/trips-by-date

No idea if these tours are any good. Simply found by googling. :slight_smile:

3 Likes