How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

We have half our money in rental real estate, which I consider to be like a bond proxy. So we have zero money in actual bonds or bond funds (although some of our equity funds might have some bonds).

3 Likes

Is anyone concerned about the banking crisis? Iā€™m wondering if I should tell my mom to shift her funds around to make sure she doesnā€™t hit the FDIC max at any one particular bank.

1 Like

You have RMDs on your 401k. Your heirs will have to pay taxes on inherited 401K and if their tax brackets are higher than yours, then you should withdraw and give it to them.

4 Likes

I donā€™t have that much in regular bank accounts, but I think itā€™s good practice to limit funds in a given bank to the FDIC maximum.

4 Likes

When I say we hope to not touch it, I mean we arenā€™t counting on using it to finance retirement. We may well spend it down somewhat. If I EVER get a grandkid :rofl: I could see using some of it to buy a condo where the kids are and spending some time there. Or creating college funds.

4 Likes

I would not want my parents to have one day of concern about an FDIC max so yes, keep under it. (and/or have mom move some cash into a brokerage firm MMF or ultra short-term born fund such as Vanguard, Fidelity, or Schwab.)

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to figure out different ways as far as staying below the FDIC limit. Looks like you canā€™t just spread it out in different accounts at the same bank. It looks like thereā€™s an option with a trust and beneficiaries (too complicated), add an additional account holder to the account (and then you get twice the coverage), or move some to another bank. Iā€™m going to present these options to my mom, but Iā€™m rather concerned about even mentioning this, because she might get very worried.

1 Like

For most people, it is generally good practice to keep personal account deposits in any one bank under the FDIC limit.

2 Likes

FDIC: Are My Deposit Accounts Insured by the FDIC? describes how FDIC deposit insurance works and how different types of account ownerships are handled.

1 Like

That is another good option. I recently had her move a bunch to her investment company (money market pays 4.51%, so thatā€™s amazing), but I can add that to the list of where to move the additional funds to. Just a little leery about having so much in one investment firm, as I donā€™t think large amounts are FDIC insured at those firms, but youā€™d think the big firms would be pretty safe.

Money market mutual funds are not FDIC insured. They invest in very short term debt from high credit quality issuers. It is possible for something they own to default and result in losses, although such losses that result in negative returns are rare.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. At this point, Iā€™m not worried for her if she has a negative return, just a total loss in a bank collapse.

@ cbreeze : Both of us will be fully retired in 2 years. Weā€™ve run the numbers numerous ways, and should have enough for retirement (+/- 30 years? if weā€™re lucky) assuming 5% average return and 3% AVERAGE inflation. To achieve that, I know weā€™ll need equities. It just seemed too high at our age.

We told our new planner we were ā€œconservativeā€ investors, AND that we wanted to simplify, so were surprised at the recommendations, and suggestions of yet more funds for each account. Iā€™m hoping this was not simply to justify their fee. (Maybe time for yet another planner. Hourly advisors are hard to find!).

Thatā€™s why Iā€™m curious what ā€œlong termā€ typically means historically. If the market usually rebounds or stabilizes in 10 year spreads, then I can understand a higher amount in equities (at least for now), since we should not need our full retirement portfolio in the next 10 years, and if anything is inherited by family, they have 10 years to withdraw.

We need to research blended or targeted funds, and was wondering if any CCā€™ers have anything similar, and if you, do you actually just set it and forget it, or are you changing things around quarterly (or more). I know Vanguard has them - but donā€™t want to change everything from Fidelity at this point.

I think you may get different answers to your question about investing time horizons. 10 years is reasonably long term but you may want to adjust your investments towards the end of that and/or due to unforeseen circumstances especially if you have health issues.
I have invested in Vanguard STAR fund which is a nice balanced fund with a relatively low fee. The retirement age funds (which Fidelity has also) are another way to not have to adjust much and you can invest based on how far away you are from wanting the funds.

Also you might want to do an internet search for an organization that only has few advisors as members. Perhaps somewhat else here knows the name of it?

We are retirees. For us, now is the time more for capital preservation instead of capital appreciation especially if you are have enough for retirement minus inflation. I would tell your FA that you are not comfortable with his equities allocation. Fidelity has some targeted funds as well like the Fidelity Freedom Funds.

2 Likes

Would she consider purchasing brokered CDs? As long as she does not purchase more than $250K from one institution, she can keep the brokered CDs all in the same account at her brokerage firm. For example, do not buy more than $250K from AmEx Bank or Morgan Stanley.

When purchasing, make sure the CDs are non-callable. They are paying close to 5% out to five years.

Shorter term Treasuries would be another option. Fidelityā€™s auto roll feature works well.

1 Like

I donā€™t know. I suggested a CD, but she didnā€™t seem interested. But the money market fund is paying over 4.5% and she can get access to her money immediately, it looks very secure (unless the US govt fails, and I guess thatā€™s a remote possibility). I donā€™t want to press her into anything that seems different to her. When we talked to her advisor before, we discussed CDā€™s, and he said to just go with the money market fund.

1 Like

CDs are definitely not as liquid as Treasuries or MM, obviously. I was only trying to offer an option that did not require your mother to move her money and to address your bank failure concern.

Brokered CDs can be sold, but if interest rates move against you, you will realize a larger loss when selling than suggested by the interest rate spread. While the same is true of Treasuries, it seems as though there is more of a ā€˜penaltyā€™ when selling brokered CDs.

1 Like

MM funds arenā€™t as credit risk free as Treasury bonds/bills. They typically own commercial papers, issued by corporates. Itā€™s rare but there were a couple of MM funds that ā€œbroke the buckā€.

2 Likes

Is the following (screenshot from Google search) true? It does not help in widow mother situation, but in other cases could be helpful.

1 Like