How Much Do You think You Need to Retire/What Age Will You/Spouse Retire: General Retirement Issues (Part 2)

Reposted a corrected version.

I met a new friend in my community who just had to go back to work because his 401k lost too much money in the financial downswing.

He is a smart guy in his engineering area, and excellent management abilities. IMHO he didnā€™t know how high his risk was, or how to lower his risk in an effective way. I think he went back to work while he still was able to (still fresh in his skills and connections). He probably is building up a bigger nest egg while trying to reduce his risk and also hoping for recovery of some of his losses. He told me he had 70% in equities. Obviously his 401k instrument did not have the investment options to do well enough in a down market.

I shared with him what DH and I did to reduce our risk - we have no pensions (over 4 different times/years between 2013 and 2021 we moved a total of $650K from DHā€™s 401k into purchasing annuities), and our Roth IRAs are managed by our Financial Advisor - we consolidated all our loose ends - Sar-Sep, IRAs, etc. I also have an annuity as well. I had a lot of years out of the job market (husband extensive work travel, and raising DDs right), and I only returned to last 5 year sunset career (not great pay, but OK pay considering). The friend is considering talking to our FA group.

In the 1990ā€™s, I was well aware of the swings of 401ks with investment options we had available (and learning how these investments worked in market conditions at the time) - and when DHā€™s 401k grew too big after we climbed out starting in 2010; we liked the strategy of purchasing the right annuities. I believe I developed the fine tuning skills with the four investment ā€˜bundlesā€™ in DHā€™s 401k to adjust the investment percentages after seeing which had less loss in a downswing. Of course comparing 5 year and 10 year return percentages on these fund groups between last year and this year - last yearā€™s loss had quite an impact.

DHā€™s 401k has moved up $26k since the downturn of $270K, but yet our overall financial picture only varied about $100k. Have the ā€˜safe harborā€™ so to speak. Having the retirement set up correctly is important if you have a big nest egg or a more modest nest egg - but a modest nest egg means much more care in spending during retirement as well as avoiding any further risks.

When I shared with DH my friendā€™s predicament, DH said there was no way he could return to the job/work he had been doing - it would be too hard on him. That is in part why he left the job 11 months before planned (7 months before he turned 65, and 11 months before I retired at 65).

Key is minimizing the losses on a downturn, even if you donā€™t get the full upswing. We are content with our lifestyle. When DD1ā€™s household moves (maybe at the end of this year) I may have more travel in 2024 - but not expensive trips; I foresee a bit more US travel.

2 Likes

Anybody else here really noticing inflation? Price of everything is up, property taxes through the roof, everybody and their mother wants a big tip (on top of the service charge). Iā€™m always paying the bill when I go out to eat with family (donā€™t mind my own kids, Iā€™m usually trying to give them money anyways), but nobody else has money and my mom is no longer willing to even pay the tip, though she is very well offā€¦.weā€™re on a fixed income, and Iā€™m getting weary of this!! Iā€™m feeling like Iā€™m done being the moneybags now that weā€™re retired. Didnā€™t seem to matter before.:grimacing:

8 Likes

Property tax increases have been absolutely crazy here, yes, because the assessment was done last May when RE frenzy was full blown. I donā€™t expect the values to go down. Never happens. We just got a quote for deck repair, and it is quite insane. Sadly, the quote is not unreasonable, it is within the ballpark of the other bids.

2 Likes

I notice it, especially at the grocery store. Fortunately weā€™ve not had to cut back on anything ourselves (except on principle - ā€œthat just seems to priceyā€). But it does make me feel for big families on limited income trying to buy enough food for the week.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve mentioned that dh got a retirement job at a grocery store. That has helped us keep costs down as he gets a 10% discount on store brands, including prepared meals. Four times a year, he gets 25% off. We stock up on meats and such at those times. We expected property taxes would continue to go up, though our taxing entity lowered the rate so our taxes actually went down slightly.

Talking to my sister this week, she is considering putting off her retirement, originally scheduled for June.

5 Likes

I was wondering when that was going to start happening, ie people delaying retirement or picking up retirement jobs.

2 Likes

The plan always was for dh to have a part-time retirement job until 65. In fact, he has TWO!

2 Likes

Seriously, two? What else does he do? Plus, why not get a full time job if heā€™s working that much? Seems like at least heā€™d get health care benefits, which are crazy expensive.

@busdriver11, I am not seeing it so much but that is partly not looking (I donā€™t monitor food purchases for example to compare) and partly complexity. I did notice property taxes going up but then again property values have skyrocketed (a teardown ranch house on my street that is not on the river sold for close to what I paid 3 years ago for a pretty nice house ā€“ that needed some work but was very livable as it was ā€“ without the beautiful lot that we have). We have had a very expensive year as weā€™ve been paying for a big renovation but and am just contracting for solar panels. So it is hard to do an apples to apples comparison on costs without looking at specific objects.

ShawSon and his wife have a pretty high combined income and wealth, even if on paper at the moment. So, we alternate picking up dinners. With ShawD who has no spouse, we tend to pick up certain expenses (dinners, plane tickets if she is traveling with us and Iā€™m making the reservation, items she requests if ShawWife tells her Iā€™m going to Costco). But, she is doing decently and has just decided to do another program online that could add a significant slug to her income. Fortunately, we have enough left in the kids 529 funds for that new program.

The tipping is really out of hand. I got a request for a tip from the terminal at a convenience store that also makes sandwiches.

4 Likes

I am definitely sick of people asking for tips just for taking your money. We just came from a trip to south Florida, and do they have a scam going on in the restaurants there. Many of them automatically add a service charge of 17-18%, and then they also leave the blank for the tip, with the ā€œhelpfulā€ suggested amounts of 20-25 and 30% figured out for you. They figure out the percentage including tipping on the service charge. So if you arenā€™t looking closely at your bill, youā€™re double tipping and not even knowing it. So now Iā€™ve been looking a lot closer at my bills, and just noticed that the waitress added an additional $8 for coffee that we didnā€™t have. No big deal, anyone can make a mistake, but she seemed surprised that we asked her to take it off the bill. ā€œOh, you want me to fix it?ā€ Well, yeah. Sure, itā€™s only eight bucks, but come on!

We always pay for our kids, just as a way to pass on some money, even when our older son has more money than we do in his account. No problem with that. I just donā€™t want to pay for everyone else, every time. When people get older, they should have the common sense to realize that itā€™s time to start spending their money (as opposed to their kids spending money on them), even if they arenā€™t willing to pass it down to the younger generation. I am definitely planning to start giving our kids funds when the time is right.

7 Likes

The FA said he had to bring in $1,500/month if he retired from his FT job. His old job had become so stressful. He wanted something with absolutely no stress so he got a mindless job at a grocery store chain for which heā€™s always wanted to work. And then this other position at his old place came up. The pay is good, and itā€™s only 15 hours/week. He doesnā€™t need to do the grocery job, but he enjoys it. Heā€™s doing a total of about 30 hours/week between the two so itā€™s not like heā€™s working THAT much, but he does say sometimes he doesnā€™t feel that retired!

The tipping IS insane!

4 Likes

Itā€™s nice he found lower stress semi-retirement jobs. Will he be able to be full retired at some point when old enough to draw SS (and/or pension)?

Yeah. This is just until we can get on Medicare instead of his current retiree insurance. At that time, out premiums will be lower, and Iā€™ll start drawing my pension from my old job. One of us may start taking SS then, too. Once we are both getting our pensions and SS we will be making more money than we ever have. Still hoping to never touch my 401k.

3 Likes

Our new financial planner (paid hourly) designed a far more aggressive portfolio than expected (80/20 for IRAā€™s and 95/5 for Roths!). His view is that the traditional 60/40 mix has been a huge disappointment as of late (agreed), and that bonds just donā€™t perform over time, compared to equities. Instead, he suggested we always keep 2 years of living expenses in cash, with most of the remaining in equities.

Our intent was to simplify retirement accounts, but he chose a completely new blend of funds for the Roth and IRA accounts ā€“ many more funds than we currently hold in each account.

Current accounts are with Fidelity and each includes a mix of funds. Do any of you have targeted or blended funds with Fidelity, that you truly do not feel the need to monitor?

I realize equities typically preform best long term ā€“ but what do you consider ā€œlong termā€? 10 years?

Is the old rule of thumb dead ā€“ that of keeping the equity/bond mix equal to your age (when 30, keep 30% in bonds, and when 80, keep 80% in bonds)?

I wish I knew the answer to the question of how much to keep in bonds. I believe itā€™s true that over time going with the overall market instead of individual funds has had a better outcome over time. I have kept over 4 yrs worth of ā€œcash,ā€ which I know is stupid.

How far are you from retirement?

Really depends on yoru risk tolerance, what level of equities make it easy to sleep at night, as well as what the accounts are for. Personally, I donā€™t see much reason for a 30-year old to hold any bonds. I certainly didnā€™t buy any until after age 60. If the Roths are for your heirs, go 100% equities. If they are part of your retirement, put the bond portion more in the IRA.

btw: IMO, the purpose of bonds is not to ā€˜performā€™ but provide a ballast.

4 Likes

Agree that as a 30yo I sure didnā€™t have 30% in bonds. I donā€™t think I even have that now, and Iā€™m 60. Our goal is to not have to touch the 401k so I probably take more risks than most. I also have more in cash than I probably should, but all the things are 20ish years old ā€“ just replaced the roof and expect to do a new AC and water heater soon. Thatā€™s why all the cash.

3 Likes

Bonds have been so dead in the water of late, but when markets go down, that ballast can be welcome. With better interest rates currently for CDs, I would think that security can be provided by stacking CDs, at least for the next 4 years or so.

1 Like