how much does being a URM help at public universities???

<p>Basically senior year is coming up, and I'm planning to apply to around 20 schools and most of them will be public. Anyway I always hear about being a URM helping at top private schools but does it help at top public universities? Such as UMDCP, OSU and UofW(seattle), penn state etc. and also schools such as Syracuse. </p>

<p>Extra Info:
Ethnic Status: African: Nigerian
GPA: 3.1 by end of junior year(HUUUGE upward trend)
SAT: hopefully over 1800 by september
ECs:
-Black Student Alliance: 10/11
-Muslim Student Association: 11
-Track: 9/10/11
-Tech Crew: 9
-Volunteer Hours: over 100
-Arabic School throughout high school
-Helped send books to unfortunate kids in Nigeria (was sponsored by my family not my school)
-World bank camp coming up this summer
-economics for leadership camp at cornell this summer</p>

<p>Ok so this kinda turned into a chance thread! But I'm not trying to make it one. Just please answer the question, all help is gladly accepted. Thank you!!!</p>

<p>Bumpity bump bump</p>

<p>On another thread, you claim to be asian…</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1317198-chance-me-ucs-boston-colleges.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1317198-chance-me-ucs-boston-colleges.html&lt;/a&gt;
■■■■■</p>

<p>Haha yea I was trolling that time, I’m being serious this time tho</p>

<p>If you’re serious, then I’m Nigerian too lol. URM should help everywhere. but it still doesn’t make up for poor grades. But with that gpa, you should be fine.</p>

<p>Based upon what I have seen with respect to the University of Florida, I think that being a URM is a significant advantage at a public university.</p>

<p>However, some states have their own rules regarding affirmative action. For example, I think that in Texas, they take you if you are in the top 10% of your high school class, even if the high school is not the greatest. Indirectly, that helps inner city URMs.</p>

<p>Also, if you can afford to pay the OOS tuition, that is a big plus, because many states are hurting for money.</p>

<p>Why the concentration on public schools? Private schools are probably more likely to give you aid, especially if you apply to a private school a little below your pay grade.</p>

<p>I agree that you should apply to 20 schools, but applying to too many public schools is probably being redundant.</p>

<p>My friend’s daughter (white), got into almost every public school she applied to. Probably the admission standards at many public schools are roughly equivalent.</p>

<p>So I would say that you are on the right track, but throw a few more “reaches” in there.</p>

<p>Well it depends on which school you are applying to. </p>

<p>Now just to let you know…</p>

<p>If you are applying to a University of California school…don’t get your hopes up. They have specific laws against using race as a factor. </p>

<p>the same is with U of Mich</p>

<p>also with the Sunys</p>

<p>and don’t forget about the University of Texas schools </p>

<p>I suggest, do not lean on race so much, and depend on what makes you unique and perfect for the school you want to goo to.</p>

<p>Ok thanks for the replies! Now for the university of michigan I heard that they say they don’t take race into consideration but they still do it anyway. Is that true?</p>

<p>imma bump this</p>