How much does University of Miami care about EC's?

Just wondering, does anyone know how much UM cares about extracurriculars for freshman applicants? Do they value someone with lower academics and great EC’s over someone with really great academics and okay EC’s? How much emphasis do they put on it? Thank you!

When I visited, it seemed they were more focused on academics (unless applying to the school of music).

My son was recently accepted for Class of 2021 and he had about two or three ECs outside of baseball, which is really the only one he cared about. He has excellent grades and SATs scores though. So take that for what it’s worth.

it seems they prefer academics over EC’s. But if you have not so excellent grades then EC’s would probably help.

@bsangs Hi! If you don’t mind me asking, when exactly did your son receive his admission decision?

@bsangs Just wondering (if you don’t mind answering), what teacher wrote his letter of rec? Like, was it a teacher from a core class or an elective?

I had fairly low sat scores for Miami but incredibly unique (imo) ECs and lots of community service with leadership roles which I think really pushed me over and got me the presidents scholarship so yeah I’d say they definitely do look at your ECs and take them into account. Remember though that even the best ECs won’t get you in if you can’t prove that you can handle the work so your grades and scores have to be at least decent for you to have a real chance.

@nextgendiaspora - Not at all. He received his acceptance email on Feb. 9 and the packet in the mail arrived a few days later.

@msherondale - Also, not at all. His recs were written by his AP Calc and AP Chem teachers. (His college counselor also writes one, since some schools require that as well. Can’t recall if The U was one of those schools though.)

Agreed. You have got to have an academic foundation and then showing EC or community involvement adds to the picture. Selected students don’t need to be overscheduled in EC, but can show commitment and growth in a few. Better academics = better merit money opportunities.