How often do NMFs/top students get rejected from UCLA and Berkeley?

<p>I’m a CA resident with a 3.89 UW GPA (at a very difficult school), 2280 SAT (800 CR, 740 M, 740 W), and decent EC’s. I got a 236 on my PSAT and thus will be named a Semifinalist this fall and in all likelihood will be named a Finalist. I plan to take 2-3 SAT IIs but I can’t predict what my score will be. I’m curious how often people like me get rejected from UCLA and Berkeley? Those are my two top choice schools, but I have heard horror stories about students with near perfect stats getting rejected from one - or both - of them, and even some of the other UC’s like Santa Barbara and San Diego. (skip down to the bottom paragraph if you are pressed for time) </p>

<p>I used Cappex and Parchment to see a rough estimate of my “chances”, and neither gave me extremely high chances for either school (I got 57% for UCLA and 69% for Berkeley on Parchment [why would Berkeley be higher than UCLA?]… and I got something along the lines of “you look like a good candidate but might not get accepted” for UCLA and “you’re just average” for Berkeley on Cappex). I know neither of those websites are super reliable, but I’m still starting to get worried that my “match” schools might not be so perfect of a match. </p>

<p>Looking at admissions statistics at both schools, my SAT is definitely above average at both schools, and my GPA is somewhere in the middle (however 4 of the 5 semesters that I got a “B” in were Freshman year, so I have an upward trajectory). However, I just moved to California from Texas. At my (highly competitive) old school I was in the top 2-3% of my class, but at my (also extremely competitive) new school (which doesn’t rank, but publishes GPA data online that I’m sure colleges look at), I probably will be more like the top 12% due to a GPA weighting difference. Had I attended that school all 4 years of high school, I think I could easily be in the top 10%, but unfortunately, due to the grading differences between my old and new school, I will be at a disadvantage, and will not necessarily look like a “top student” to admissions. </p>

<p>So are those stories of “solid GPAs, 2250+ SATs, NMF” students getting rejected from Berkeley, UCLA, and even the next tier down of UCs rare occurrences? I feel like getting rejected from both would be a devastating experience, and I’m starting to get worried that it could happen. </p>

<p>Thanks for any help you can give :)</p>

<p>Subquestion: This website ([Campus</a> announces 2013-14 freshman admissions numbers](<a href=“http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2013/04/18/campus-announces-2013-14-freshman-admissions-decisions/]Campus”>Campus announces 2013-14 freshman admissions numbers | Berkeley News)) lists the average weighted GPA as 4.37. What scale is this on? I want to calculate to see if my weighted GPA would be above average.</p>

<p>I don’t know how anyone could answer your question. Colleges don’t publish statistics on who they reject. But very highly selective schools like Berkeley and UCLA are probably not a sure thing for anyone.</p>

<p>I believe that’s the UC gpa that’s published.</p>

<p>The lack of official info on who is rejected is why I came here. I have seen several threads on this site of students like me (good, but not perfect) getting rejected from <em>several</em> schools that they thought they were going to get into. There are a lot of people on this site that I view as experts (who have 2000+ posts, have been here for years, and have insightful knowledge about the admissions process). They have been reading posts of CC-caliber students for years and I thought that they might have a feeling of how common this is. </p>

<p>By the way, I think I worded this thread a bit wrong. I know that people like me do get rejected frequently. I’m just wondering <em>how</em> often. I’ve been told that I’m a “match” for UCLA and Berkeley, but I don’t know if that means that 9 out of 10 students like me would get accepted, or 6/10, or even less. And what really matters to me is that I get accepted to <em>one</em> of them. They are both amazing schools and getting rejected from one would just make my decision easier. </p>

<p>@mothergoldenbear - I was thinking it must be UC GPA, but I don’t see how it can be! With the cap at 8 AP semesters, how could the average be that high? My 10th-11th UC GPA is 4.25 with only one semester of a B and the entire 8 semesters of bonus added in - even if I had gotten the extra A, my UC GPA would only be a 4.29…</p>

<p>Why do you need to worry about rejection now? Your stats are excellent. Just try your best. Make sure you take all classes to meet a-g subject requirement.</p>

<p>Some high stats applicants were rejected because they were arrogant or negligent and did not demonstrate interest in their apps. Other than that, you should not worry if you are serious.</p>

<p>For ucb 2012, average GPA was 4.16, SAT cr and wr were below 700, math 701.</p>

<p>Berkeley considers the uncapped gpa, so all the extra points count.</p>

<p>If you can afford it, you should hire a successful admission consultant who specializes in UC applications. Your essay is going to be the deciding factor that makes or breaks your admission. UCB wants people who will, or at least think they will, change the world for the better. All the UC’s love to give a hand to someone who’s struggled and overcome adversity. Tons of info out there about UC admissions, you should be able to google up a few good names for consultants.</p>

<p>hEY ! I got in with with a 2050 on my SAT1 …with me being an international student…show some confidence kid !</p>

<p>This year, UCLA accepted 70% of applicants with straight A’s during 10th and 11th grades:
[Profile</a> of Admitted Freshmen, Fall 2012 - UCLA Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/Frosh_Prof13.htm]Profile”>http://www.admissions.ucla.edu/Prospect/Adm_fr/Frosh_Prof13.htm)</p>

<p>Subtract the “impacted” majors from those statistics, and the admission rate should be higher. Look only at straight-A applicants with SAT scores like yours, and the numbers should be higher still.</p>

<p>So you have a good chance, since you almost are a straight-A student.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Don’t waste money on this. Period.</p>

<p>OP, what is your uncapped UC gpa?</p>

<p>SoCalDad – I’m not following … I think the 70% number you are referring to is unweighted gpa. The OP is in the 3.70-3.99 range, so wouldn’t it would fall in the 30.84% category? Assuming the weighted UC gpa is greater than 4.0, the admit rate is still only 37.17%. The admit rate based on SAT scores is about 55%. I agree that OP’s got a good chance, but CSE is more selective so I think the admission rate will be lower.</p>

<p>10 chars…</p>

<p>I think the admit rate does not mean the chance of being admitted.</p>