How religious is Baylor and how accepting of gay students?

Apart from the article posted in other threads, what is your experience with the Baylor undergrad community re being accepting of non-religious, non heterosexual students? Specifically, how welcoming would that community be of a gay student who is not religious?

Probably not a great fit for you. What about it attracts you?

Why make life harder than it needs to be ?

Baylor does not strike me a as a great fit for you either.

Here are their chapel requirements, they also require a couple of religion courses: https://www.baylor.edu/spirituallife/index.php?id=870498

Look into the LGBTQIA communities at Baylor, check the student and surrounding community newspapers, and reach out to student leadership and ask questions. Here is one article from 2019 that suggests there is some tension: https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/26/lgbtq-students-baylor-university-still-pushing-recognition/

Baylor also makes the Advocate’s list of colleges most hostile to LGBTQ students:https://www.advocate.com/youth/2017/8/14/20-colleges-most-hostile-lgbt-students#media-gallery-media-15

1 Like

For what it’s worth, Baylor seems to appear on Princeton Review’s list of LGBTQ unfriendly schools with alarming frequency:

LGBTQ Unfriendly 2014-2021

2014   2015   2016   2017   2018   2019   2020   2021
Auburn University                           14     13     14      6      2      4      5      6
Baylor University                           12     11     10      7      7      6     12     11
Brigham Young University - Provo             6      4      6      5      4      2      7      4
Calvin College (MI)                          8     10      8      8     13     17     13     12
Catholic University of America              18     12     20     17     NR     NR     NR     NR
Colgate University                          15     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR
College of the Ozarks                        3      1      3      3      1      1      1      1
Gettysburg College                          NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     17
Gordon College (MA)                         NR     15      7      4      3      7      9      7
Grove City College                           1      2      1      9      6      5      4      5
Hampden-Sydney College                       2      5      2      2      8     NR     NR     NR
Hillsdale College                           17     16      9     11      9     11     18     NR
Hobart and William Smith Colleges           NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     18
Indiana University of Pennsylvania          NR     17     18     19     20     NR     NR     NR
Iowa State University                       NR     NR     NR     NR     NR      9     17     NR
Lehigh University                           NR     NR     11     16     14     NR     NR     NR
Louisiana State University - Baton Rouge    NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     11     14
Montana Tech of the University of Montana   NR     NR     NR     15     16     NR     14     15
Pepperdine University                       19      7     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR
Providence College                          NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     10     10     13
Texas A & M University                      11     19     13     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR
Texas State University                      NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     19
Trinity College (CT)                        13     18     17     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR
University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa          NR     NR     NR     NR     10     14      6      8
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville       NR     NR     16     13     15     19     16     20
University of Dallas                        10     NR     15     12     19     NR      8      9
University of Kentucky                      NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     20     NR     NR
University of Mississippi                   NR     20     19     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR
University of Nebraska - Lincoln            NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     12     19     NR
University of North Dakota                  NR     NR     NR     18     NR     13     20     NR
University of Notre Dame (IN)                5      9     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     10
University of Rhode Island                   9     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR
University of South Carolina - Columbia     NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     15     NR     NR
University of Tennessee - Knoxville         NR     14      5     10      5      3      3      2
University of Utah                          NR     NR     NR     20     NR     NR     NR     NR
University of Wyoming                       NR     NR     NR     NR     NR     18     15     16
Wake Forest University                       7      6     12     14     12     16     NR     NR
Wheaton College (IL)                         4      3      4      1     11      8      2      3
Wofford College                             16      8     NR     NR     18     NR     NR     NR
University of Wyoming                       20     NR     NR     NR     17     NR     NR     NR

I have a lot of Baylor relatives and Texas cousins planning on going there, you might be the first gay person a lot of them have met. I heard my grandparents at thanksgiving talking about being upset the head of Baylor issued something about allowing or okaying gay people. I live in a really liberal mountain west town and our school has many student groups of people of all types of people, trans- gay - bi whatever, and my cousins when they visit are shocked. And they are shocked and dismayed my family is not religious. It comes up a lot, I don’t think I could go to Baylor.

2 Likes