How to become a journalist?!?

Hey guys,
I’ve recently discovered that journalism is my passion. I’m a high school senior (about to be senior) so things are complicated. I’m just really confused and would really like someone to answer my questions:
I’ve heard that having an undergrad journalism degree is unnecessary and I should major in something else to set myself apart - what would be good majors? Is the only thing important about undergrad is having internships, experience, and some sort of major that has lots of writing?
Is attending a liberal-arts college okay even if it isn’t accredited by the journalism board (like Amherst)? Or would attending a larger school like Indiana U be better?
Is a master’s degree necessary to get a job as a journalist? Do most journalists stop at a BA or is it like 50/50?

If you could add any input, I would appreciate that so much!
Thank you!

A master’s degree is not necessary. Major in journalism. Set yourself apart with internships and part-time jobs. Go job shadow at media companies where you live (newspaper, TV, radio, etc). If you are a good writer, and like current events - there is a huge need for TV web producers and TV newscast producers. Try to shadow those jobs. Look for internships in this area in college. Most journalists in TV newsrooms do not have advanced degrees, just undergraduate degrees.

Thanks! I’m thinking of double majoring compsci to help evolve with the industry. Do you think this would be a good idea?

At last, a CC question I can sort of help with, as I’ve been a magazine journalist for a couple of decades. (Which is to say that my expertise, such as it is, is in I think your plan of double-majoring in journalism and comp sci is a good one. That said, over the years I’ve worked with good journalists who have majored in journalism as undergrads, but also ones who have masters in journalism and ones who (like me) have neither. All three paths can work for you. The good thing about a journalism major and about journalism grad school is that they’re structured to help you acquire the skills you need for the profession, help you make contacts that will prove valuable as you launch your career, help you land internships and, most important, give you a chance to publish (in print or, now, digitally) articles with your byline on them–the most important credential you can have. But it’s possible to do all the above without majoring in journalism and without a journalism M.A.–just throw your passion into writing/editing for a college publication or two, or working for the college radio station, and use that experience as a springboard toward getting internships and gathering clips. My other piece of advice: make sure that you get lots of experience in online media, including social media. And best of luck.

(Apologies for the emoji, I typed it by accident and can’t figure out how to make it go away.)

What I meant to write was, (Which is to say that my expertise, such as it is, is in print.) I think your plan of double-majoring in journalism and comp sci is a good one.

Thanks for the advice!

@imlikeabird2 check my “Class of 2020:Follow the Journey” thread and read proudterrier’s post