How to get passport in Tuscaloosa

<p>Older son will be going to Greece this summer with Professor Tatiana Summers and 24 other students. They leave June 2. I understand it can take up to eight weeks to process a passport request, so, obviously, he needs to step on it! I have sent him a certified official copy of his birth certificate. Now what? I understand the UA post office does not process passport applications. Where should he go? </p>

<p>Those of you who have “been there, done this” – can you offer guidance? I spent two semesters abroad as an undergrad, but that was so long ago that I can’t remember any of the details re getting a passport. (I think I did do it at our local post office, though, which was just a mile from our house.)</p>

<p>Can anyone spell out the steps for us? Especially re finding the nearest passport office. I understand the clerk of district court and the main Tuscaloosa p.o. can take care of it. Which is nearer to the University…does anyone know? Is either place within walking distance? (DS does not have a car, although he can bum a ride from a friend if need be.)</p>

<p>All input will be greatly appreciated. I have told him he must take care of this either Monday or Tuesday at the latest, as time is of the essence.</p>

<p>Thanks!!!</p>

<p>is that new regarding the Post Office? I applied for my kids’ passports at a Huntsville Alabama PO a few years ago. </p>

<p>Not every PO does them, but at that time, certain ones did. Is that no longer true?</p>

<p>BTW…is his BC the long form? they wouldn’t accept the short form that Calif typically gives so I had to get copies of the long form of their BC’s.</p>

<p>[Alabama</a> Passport Office locations ? Get a Passport Application in AL](<a href=“allpassport.com”>allpassport.com)</p>

<p><a href=“allpassport.com”>allpassport.com;

<p>He’ll need to have his passport pics taken first. I got my kids’ at Costco, but I think some of the drugstores, like Walgreens, does them too.</p>

<p>Yes, the Walgreens around here does passport photos in about 5 minutes. Just ask the person at the photo counter.</p>

<p>I have gotten (and renewed) passports several times for myself and my kids. All the requirements, steps and forms can be found here ([Apply</a> for a Passport](<a href=“U.S. Passports”>U.S. Passports)) and here (<a href=“https://www.usps.com/shop/apply-for-a-passport.htm[/url]”>https://www.usps.com/shop/apply-for-a-passport.htm&lt;/a&gt;).</p>

<p>Also, from the USPS website, it seems that the only post office in Tuscaloosa that accepts passport applications is the one at 1313 22nd Ave (Passport hours are M-F, 9:00-2:00). The next nearest one is in Bessemer. It’s not required, but I would suggest your S call ahead and make an appointment to be sure the 1 employee who knows how to do it won’t be on a break, at lunch, etc. when he goes there.</p>

<p>If you do not expedite, the website says you can expect to receive the passport in 4-6 weeks. With expedited service (costs $60 extra + 2-way overnight delivery $), you can get it in about 2-3 weeks. Due to the sequester, I would suggest adding some extra to these estimated delivery times, just to be safe. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Make sure you stress to the photographers that your passport photos must not (MUST NOT!) have any shadows in them - Costco in our area no longer does them for that reason - the lighting is so bad in the store that the flash they use creates a background shadow behind the subject’s head. Inspect the photos before you pay for them, and make sure no shadows. (No smiling allowed, either, since 9/11…)</p>

<p>Make sure you know what method(s) of payment they accept for the application. The last renewal we did (at a county sub-courthouse in Texas) had to be paid for with two separate checks. They did not accept credit or debit cards.</p>

<p>My girl friend applied for a passport in January and received it back in 3 weeks time. She did not pay the extra fees to expidite it. Sometimes the most difficult part is getting the birth certificate/supporting documents.</p>

<p>Lady Diane – both the main post office and the courthouse are downtown – you could walk to either (some people park downtown and walk to football games) but it is something of a haul and your son would need to plan to devote a pretty good chunk of time to walking to and from the location and actually obtaining the passport.</p>

<p>If he hasn’t done it already have him fill out the forms online before hand and print them. It saves a lot of time.</p>

<p>The downtown courthouse is really easy to get to as it is a short walk from the Downtown Intermodal Facility which has a free bus to campus. [Where</a> to Apply for a Passport Nationwide](<a href=“http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/]Where”>http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/)</p>

<p>I suggest filling out the form online, which can be found on the Department of State’s website [First</a> Time Applicants](<a href=“U.S. Passports”>U.S. Passports).</p>

<p>Passports rarely take the full 6-8 weeks to process. If it is within two weeks of their trip, have the passport applicant contact one of their US Senator’s offices as they can call the Department of State and expedite passport processing. I had to do this back in 2007 when passport applications were taking 18+ weeks to process.</p>

<p>Passport acceptance facilities have historically required checks, but it depends on the type of facility where one is applying for a passport. [Passport</a> Fees](<a href=“U.S. Passports”>U.S. Passports)</p>

<p>momofonly1 is right. There was something odd about payment. I think I had to write checks??? Not sure, but there weren’t payment options.</p>

<p>WOW, thanks so much, y’all!!! Yes, he has the online application all filled out. And his birth certificate is waiting for him at Paty. I think we will do the expedited thing to be on the safe side.</p>

<p>Y’all are the GREATEST!!!</p>

<p>DS has a debit card but no checkbook. I will send him a check toot-sweet. </p>

<p>I don’t suppose he can use cash??</p>

<p>My son got a passport about 3 weeks ago in Tuscaloosa for a spring break trip. It was so much easier than in Atlanta. He went to the Post Office at 1313 22nd Ave. which accepts passport applications from 9-2 on Monday- Friday. The woman working there was extremely helpful. They take cash, checks, or a debit card, but no credit cards. He did expedite his passport, and it arrived in less than 2 weeks, but she can advise you as to the length of time which they are currently taking to receive. He had his pictures already, but I believe they can take them there also. Hope he has a great trip!</p>

<p>which accepts passport applications from 9-2 on Monday- Friday</p>

<p>the lines can get long, so go early if possible…and they’ll “cut off” the line early if they think they can’t get thru all the apps within the time period.</p>

<p>Glad to hear that they accept cash and debit cards as well as checks.</p>

<p>YES! You will need 2 checks to make payments. For some reason it requires two seperate payments.</p>

<p>Also, most post offices only do passports by appointment only. Check to make sure. No need in him getting to the P.O. and he had to have an appt. They may not be open to do passports every day M-F either. We had to schedule our girls renewals several weeks out due to availability. When you call also ask if they do passport pictures. Our local post office also took the pictures which is great as they know exactly what they want and need.</p>

<p>LadyDiane – send him 2 checks to be safe. IIRC, one check gets sent to DC with the application, while the other one is for whoever is doing the processing (e.g., the post office or court clerk).</p>

<p>Also, if he had a passport previously, he will need that, too. My D just did hers in Tuscaloosa and had no problem at all, so much easier than than in Dallas where the appointments were booked a month and a half out!</p>

<p>*LadyDiane – send him 2 checks to be safe. IIRC, one check gets sent to DC with the application, while the other one is for whoever is doing the processing (e.g., the post office or court clerk).
*</p>

<p>If your child has never written a check before, make a copy of a check and write it out as practice and send with the others (or email the pic if you’ve already sent the checks).</p>

<p>? Are the checks in his name or yours?</p>

<p>WOW, thanks again, y’all!! I will call the p.o. to find out for sure whether they do pix right there. I’m thinking DS should go in on Wednesday a.m., since he has only one class that day, and it’s not till 3 p.m. I think we will spring for “expedited” just so I won’t have heart palpitations, LOL.</p>

<p>Question: If they take debit cards, will he still need a check to send to DC? </p>

<p>Thanks again, y’all!</p>