How will a high school suspension affect chances?

<p>So basically I got suspended for a drug-related issue. It was really stupid and a one time thing. It was the first time I've ever done anything like that and I feel awful about the whole situation.</p>

<p>So on the Commonapp there is a part where it asked if you have ever been suspended. Since the suspension is so close to when I'd be applying I thought I might just select "No" and if they asked I could simply say it was submitted before the suspension. </p>

<p>Without contacting my High School and out right asking, can UM see that I got suspended? </p>

<p>If UM found out I had put "No" when I actual had this suspension would that guarantee a denied admission?</p>

<p>If I said I had been suspended and thoroughly explain it will this greatly hurt my chances?</p>

<p>Please Help! I'm not sure what to do here...
All contributions appreciated.</p>

<p>Hmm… hope your real name isn’t Mike Johnson.</p>

<p>But I am completely unsure. Here’s a thread on the topic in general, not specific to U Miami: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/899438-truth-about-suspensions.html?highlight=disciplinary+lie[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/899438-truth-about-suspensions.html?highlight=disciplinary+lie&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I would definitely not deny the suspension. Your high school counselor will notify admissions of your suspension and you will SURELY be denied if you lie.</p>

<p>I was in a similar boat. I was suspended sophomore year for being intoxicated on campus during school hours. However, I have been accepted to the only university I’ve applied to thus far (Tulane).
Show remorse and demonstrate that your suspension actually served to better you off in school, and admissions could potentially see through that small slip-up. </p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>shermani is 100% correct. Lying is the worst way to go. Own up to it, be clear that you have learned from your mistake (I wouldn’t even bother with the “it was my only time” line, even if true it sounds lame), and that you have gotten the urge to experiment that way out of your system. It is hardly like you are the only one that ever got caught drinking or doing drugs in high school. You will come across as much more mature if you take responsibility.</p>

<p>I’m just a grade 11 student in Canada who happens to get suspended two months ago for taking a school property, scanner, from the library without the school’s authorization. Though I tried to explain and justify that I was in a hurry to get my math assignment scanned, the school said it is equivalent to stealing a school property. For 5 days, I spent 4 hours a day doing community service. </p>

<p>From the rumors I’ve heard from my peers, first suspension won’t be submitted to the university admissions. There are, however, chances that universities might do some background checks on me or ask the counselors for any cases of my suspension. </p>

<p>So, if my school end up submitting the case of my suspension to my university, how much will it affect? I mean, I have about 94% average, won a provincial mock trial, and won a magic competition in Canadian Association of Magicians. Is it feasible to “cover” up such flaw by saying no to the suspension part of the application and listing all the of my merits? </p>

<p>if my suspension do go to the admission and if it does hurt my chane of acceptance,
what’s the best strategy?</p>

<p>a boy at my highschool was expelled for a drug related issue on a school trip and he was accept and currently attending Umiami</p>