How will new admission policy affects the bottom UCs?

<p>Well, since the new policy changes the composition of the top 12.5%, my opinion is that it will affects the buttom UCs (UCR, UCM, maybe UCSC) more than the selective campus. This is my line of thinking: more applicants = more, better qualified applicants = lower admission rate = higher student quality. </p>

<p>I think the selective campus are still going to be selective (maybe even more so), but the referral campus (UCR, UCM) will benefit more from the new policy. But I’ve been wrong before…</p>

<p>what does the 12.5 percent thing mean</p>

<p>What is the new policy? lol</p>

<p>I know that the policy my year was that you were guaranteed into certain schools (UCR/UCM for top 12.5%… and UCR/UCM/UCI/UCD for top 4%).</p>

<p>Well, as you said… more applicants result in a lower admission rate. The schools will take in who they think qualifies to be a part of their student body. The “average kids” will most likely either go to the “bottom UCs” or to a community college then transfer to a more reputable school. </p>

<p>I think it could be a positive and negative thing for the less popular UCs… There will be more applicants since everyone should and probably will apply for a back up school… the schools will have a larger pool (since college admission has become more competitive for other schools) to select from… but then again, it’s only a back up school to some people. If the more qualified applicants get into a college more favorable to them, I don’t see why they wouldn’t go(besides not having enough financial aid or something). So their acceptance means absolutely nothing.</p>

<p>Also, these campuses usually have such a high admission rate that… students that end up going there often do not appreciate it… and usually complain about it. How annoying. =( They also have to accept more people than other schools because, as I said before, these are most likely back up schools. So they sort of have to accept more people, so they can make sure that there are enough people that will SIR. ):</p>

<p>I am going to give this thread one last hurray. Just want to get more inputs in this topic. I think it will change the dynamic quite a bit especially in the bottom of 12.5%, which is where UCR, UCSC, UCM get most of their students.</p>

<p>You’d probably get more responses if you actually posted the policy:</p>

<p>[UC</a> Regents Adopt Changes to Freshman Eligibility](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/eligibilitychanges/]UC”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/eligibilitychanges/)</p>

<p>It seems like racing the ELC rate is another way to reintroduce affirmative action into the UCs by expanding the possibility of getting into a UC for students at very poor performing high schools.</p>