HS Counselor: "Don't apply too early

<p>…because once accepted Bama will ask for your senior schedule and you want to go through the drop/add period during the first two weeks of school and make sure you are not going to make any last-minute changes. If you provide them with your schedule and then change it you will have to explain it to the admissions office and this will not look good." </p>

<p>I ask you, my knowledgeable CC friends- is this true? Do they ask for a senior schedule upon admission? Do all/most schools?</p>

<p>Thanks! </p>

<p>Not true at all. Bama wont care about a changed schedule unless it somehow means the student no longer has the basic reqts for admissions. </p>

<p>I do think may be asked for senior schedule for admissions, but to say that you’d have to explain a change is silly. As long as reqts are met, student is fine.</p>

<p>Thank you for the feedback! I was looking forward to helping D get that app in as soon as it goes live- and this just made me sit back and say “Darn it.” :slight_smile: </p>

<p>DS applied about a week after the app went live last summer (2013) and nobody from UA asked for his senior schedule. You will of course have to send your end of senior year high school transcript.</p>

<p>What a wonderful and valuable lesson! You know now that your student’s HS guidance counselor is an idiot . . . and it’s always better to know that sooner rather than later!</p>

<p>In defense of the HS counselor, there were other schools DS applied to that did care about his senior schedule/ Those schools also would not make a decision until after first semester senior grades were sent to the college. As a blanket, cookie cutter guideline, I understand a GC giving the advice. I just doesn’t apply to ANY rolling admission schools. DS had his Bama app in before his first day of class senior year.</p>

<p>My son applied in August, I believe, before we even started schools. Alabama never requested a senior schedule, though the transcript I created included his senior schedule (we homeschool.) And we have made adjustments through the year, adding and dropping a couple of courses, and without any problem. It was wonderful for him to get that acceptance letter and scholarship award letter so quickly, and we were able to get him to various events early on (Honors College day, etc) so he knew all about the school long before he made his final decision. Once you go through the process, you will be very impressed with how Alabama is so on the ball, and other schools’ admission processes will pale in comparison. Alabama has its act together and definitely makes students feel important and valued. Best of luck.</p>

<p>One other tip that might be useful. The counselor at DS High School was adamant that no transcripts could be made available until the senior year had started. Since UA only requires transcripts up to the end of junior year DS went into school during the summer vacation and asked the registrar for his official transcript. She had no problem giving it to him (it was probably much easier for her to do it then rather than later the whole senior year wanted transcripts at once). </p>

<p>@dodgersmom- I get that you are trying to chime in with a sense of humor, but think about it. Some (probably many) colleges do request the senior schedule. Alabama does not- but when an HS counselor is dealing with so many colleges and so many kids I can see how she may have a standard, pat answer for certain situations.</p>

<p>Thank you to all who chimed in to let me know that this is one thing we need not stress over. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I don’t think a college counselor, especially at a large school, should know everything. But the “standard, pat answer” when she doesn’t know something should be, “I don’t know. Let me check on that for you.” :)</p>

<p>As always be proactive for you child. We too have high school counselors that on some days were very helpful and other days not so much. It seems like across the board that they are not to good on the HS campus level at getting the forms,Transcripts and such sent in to colleges in a timely fashion. I requested 12 copies sealed and sent to our address at the end of JR year. That way son could just send them. The schools that would not take them that way for example Georgia Tech (Very hard to work with) my son had to ask three times in the fall of this year, filled out the request three different times in the counselors office. I finally had to go in and ask if he was doing something incorrect in the process. The counselor looked at me (very nicely BTW) and said yes I did get each request and since the deadline for must schools is not for months yet I made sure to put his request in the pile I will get to in plenty of time. I looked at him very nicely and said. Perhaps you do not realize that some students are not just applying for general admin. That they are also applying for honors and other special elite programs and scholarships and your policy of sending the requested information in time for general admin is to LATE and could cost the student to loose Thousands of dollars in scholarship money. DS requested information was sent and received by that college the next week, The week after DS committed to Alabama. I am glad we made them send all the stuff to the other schools anyway. That is what the counselors are supposed to be doing. I feel for all the bright students out there that do not have such pushy, I mean proactive parents. Yes there are some fantastic high school Counselor out there. I have seen them in action. But not all are like that. This is your child’s future. So you are the best advocate for them</p>

<p>Very important advice if you do not think your counselor is taking care of what your High school student needs, be nice but keep following up on it. Let your student try to take care of it however step in when needed. </p>

<p>You GO, TexasMomalso!</p>

<p>@TexasMomalso- Exactly! The guidance counselor’s advice did not sway me because I know that many colleges do request a senior schedule- but I figured that I needed to do more investigating. I knew the Bama parents on the board would give good information. I plan on contacting the admissions rep that was so kind to us when we visited Bama. However, I want to word the question in a wise manner. I don’t want to come off as insecure about my child’s ability to keep up with courses. But heck, it is nice to leave wiggle room in many situations in life, because you never know when you might need to wiggle around some. :)</p>

<p>Also, many Florida students tend to stay instate as a result of the prepaid program and the Bright futures program. Between these 2, my D will actually get money back each semester. it’s kind of like being paid to go to college. This keeps many FL grads instate. That means that high school personnel are very well versed on questions about Florida colleges and iffy on questions pertaining to many other colleges. I’m not saying it’s right- but it is what it is. </p>