HS freshman looking for suggestions on how to get started in biology-related research

Good evening,

I’m currently a freshman in high school and I want to get into a T20 school. I plan on majoring in molecular Biology.

GPA:
4.0 unweighted
Classes
Drafting 1 Honors, Spanish 2, English 1 Honors, Math 3 Honors, Civics Honors, Biology Honors, and Health/PE
Awards
Nothing yet

Next Year’s Classes
AP Precalculus, AP Biology, AP Computer Science A, Honors English 2, AP World History, AP Environmental Science, and Honors Chemistry
Extracurriculars
This is where I am stuck. I would love to conduct some sort of biology-related research, however, I have no idea how to get started. Moreover, for competitions such as the national junior science and humanities symposium, I have no idea how I can achieve the information needed to make a sufficient project. I should also add that I am applying to the Army educational outreach program, however, I have gotten stuck on the personal statement section given that I do not know what I should input i.e. academics.

Thank you in advance.

Its going to be hard to get wet lab experience as a high student student. Most labs won’t accept anyone under the age of 18 for liability reasons. However I do know that some principal investigators (PIs) will make exceptions. You can try reaching out to local professors and ask if they need any volunteers.

The next place to try is your high school science department. Some schools (esp magnet programs) have labs that students can use for projects

2 Likes

Why do you want to go to a top 20 school? And top 20 in what? US News? Specific majors?

Agreed - talk to your teachers and / or local universities. There will be some paid summer programs you can do.

As a 9th grader, it’s not realistic to know what you’ll major in - yet but it’s a good thought.

I would say this - on ECs - what is your passion? Is it research or do you think that’s an entry into a top college? Is it sports? Is it dogs - you can volunteer at the shelter. Is it kids? You can tutor at the boys and girls club? Do you want to make money - you can get a job? Try out for a team at school or a play.

Follow your passions. There is no prescribed path for getting into a top school - and do you even know what that means, what it costs, etc.

Enjoy your HS time and find activities where you can build tenure and quantifiable results. You’ll be happy you did.

Your activities needn’t be academic at all like you are suggesting. They do need to highlight your passion. My son was a plane spotter - he went to the airport every weekend and took pics and had an instagram with thousands of pics - he could demonstrate. It worked for him.

I hope you find a true hobby - if it’s research, great but do it for the right reason. I’m sure your teacher or one in the department can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck.

2 Likes

You mentioned biology related research. Have you thought about research on plants? These are often easier to do on your own. Plant biology involves experimentation on plants at various stages of development. Another option is a field based project (ecology), where you could survey or study plants/trees/etc without any intervention. This is something you could do without a lab.

The tough part will be coming up with a scientific question that needs answering. Take a look at past Regeneron ISEF projects that made it to the finalist stage. You can get some inspiration from that.

2 Likes

You got that flipped.

At no point in your high school career should your goal be “get into a T20 school”. That is a really bad idea.

To begin with, why? There is no reason for you to believe that any of these colleges would provide you a better education and a better experience that any of 100 other colleges in the USA.

Second, most applicants, no matter how good, are rejected from the colleges with the lowest acceptance rates. Wasting your entire four years of high school trying to curate yourself into the “right” applicant, is sad even if you are accepted to one of these colleges. Since you are more likely to not be accepted than to be accepted, that’s even sadder.

Third, admissions is such a tiny part of college. Things don’t suddenly end when you’re accepted. Your life won’t suddenly be better and your path won’t suddenly be clear, just because you were accepted to a “T20” colleges. That is just the beginning of of college, and college can go many ways.

Finally, “T20” colleges, by any definition are extremely different from one another. It’s like walking into a shoe store and telling them “I want to buy shoes, I don’t care what type they are, or what size they are, so long as they are name brand and are expensive”.

Figure out what interests you and pursue it. If you really want to engage in research experience, that do so. However, don’t try to engage in research because you believe that it’s what “T20” colleges want to see.

“I want to work in molecular biology” is a much better goal. getting there through a T20 colleges is just one of many possible paths that will lead you there.

Are you indeed interested in molecular biology? Is that what interest you? Do you read popular article about it and find them really interesting?

If so, then you should explore molecular biology. However, “molecular biology” is a vast field, covering many many sub-fields. Now, for a college major, “molecular biology” is enough. However, if you are looking for research opportunities, you need to know what interests you in molecular biology.

You should also, as @sgopal2 advised - speak with your science department, particularly with a biology teacher. See what the school offers, and what connections the school has.

As others have written, your lab experience is most likely to be in your high school - many have program like AP Independent Research. However, if molecular biology interests you, reach out to faculty at any of the nearby colleges. Many will be happy to take the time to talk to you and help you explore your interests.

Is your GC telling you to take 5 APs as a Sophomore?

2 Likes