Huh?

<p>My best friend got a 1090/2400 SAT, 107 Weighted GPA, killer ECs; moving/great essay; top of the line recs; URM and got in. Isn't accepting an SAT score like that lowering the prestige of VT? (It's a serious question; Not being sarcastic).</p>

<p>Probably the SAT score was balanced against other factors such as the GPA, ECs, and possibly the URM. At some point they do break down the numbers and look into the whole package - this person probably had some “x factor” that fit a certain aspect that VT wanted to round out the demographics of this year’s class.</p>

<p>I don’t consider it a bad thing that VT would let someone in that they think will make the university a better place even if it lowers rankings or “prestige.”</p>

<p>amen chuy, amen.</p>

<p>1) VTech needs all the diversity that it can get. From walking on that campus twice, I was shocked to see how little diversity there is. </p>

<p>2) 107 GPA weighted is not that bad (is it out of 100?)</p>

<p>3) SATs aren’t everything, I’m glad Tech can look beyond the numbers.</p>

<p>So now people are advocating the selection of students based off of race, and race alone. People are diverse- race alone does not add or subtract from individuality. All white people are not alike, and neither are all black people or asian people, etc. How could you walk on campus and see a lack of diversity. You would have to stay on campus an extended time to be aware of how diverse the student body is. You sound prejudice in your statement. You are prejudging people based off of race alone.</p>

<p>Hmm, I can see how you could end up with the impression that race alone gives diversity, but I was not thinking of that myself. The “whole package” means looking beyond the immediately obvious. I tend to think of diversity in other ways, such as an 18 yr old pilot, or white-water enthusiast, or volunteer docent at a historical site - kids who have deep interests that they follow with a passion - interests beyond the usual high school pursuits of sports and academics. Personally I’ve been on campus numerous times in the past 2 years and have thought the campus is racially diverse, of course, it’s impossible to tell how diverse their interests/passions could be. That makes for an exciting time getting to know people in more depth.</p>

<p>I am in complete agreement with what you just said Zimmer, and my original response was to point 1 from wahoomb</p>

<p>I am too.</p>

<p>You don’t know if they were Capt of the LaCrosse Team, NHS President, 300 community hours, and moved here from the Congo in 2000.</p>

<p>The diversity is not only by skin tone, but also from other areas…low income, international students, OOS students, etc. You need to look pass the color of the skin or the shape of the eyes and see the actual person. A student who moved from Serbia when they were 12 will add just as much to the diversity of the university, as the AA student coming from NoVA. The diversity is in the path they walked to get accepted. Both students will add an important component of life to the “AVG” student.</p>

<p>With the OP my guess is that the low SAT and moving/great essay showed that they had a unique life. Maybe, they are dyslexic, which would explain the SAT score. Maybe they are like my brother, an albino where taking timed tests with very small print hurts them. FYI albinos are considered legally blind and there are AA’s that are albino’s. We don’t know why they had that SAT, but I would not place the acceptance on URM. I would say that the great gpa and the essay explained away any fears that the admission office had to accept them.</p>

<p>In VA, there is a joke.<br>
It is easy to get into VA Tech, but hard to stay. Hard to get into UVA, but easy to stay.</p>

<p>Time will tell if VATECH made an error.</p>

<p>“It is easy to get into VA Tech, but hard to stay. Hard to get into UVA, but easy to stay.”</p>

<p>LOLz</p>

<p>Wahoomb, why do you feel the need to post here again?</p>

<p>He was just pointing out that it is funny to think that it is easy to get into VT.</p>

<p>“Wahoomb, why do you feel the need to post here again?”</p>

<p>Sorry my presence makes you uncomfortable, Hokie~</p>

<p>Not uncomfortable, I just don’t understand why a UVA student would want to hang around here and promote our University, as that is what these forums are for. Therefore I smell trouble from your direction. That is all.</p>