I am Hispanic and was adopted from migrant worker at 2 weeks old.

I adopted my wife’s daughter when she was 10 and she has been living in my house with my culture ever since.
She is applying to college and is not sure if she can check Hispanic.

Your title and your post don’t mesh so I’m confused. Was the adoption at 2 weeks or 10 years?

Two weeks or ten years old? Big difference. “I am Hispanic” or your child?

Even as an infant, technically, yes. But for the more competitive colleges, it can help if she can also show some connection to the heritage.

Correct me if I’m wrong, OP, but I think your title and text are two parts of the same story. You are Hispanic and were adopted as a child, and as an adult, you adopted your wife’s daughter. If that is accurate, I think if your daughter was raised in a Hispanic culture and feels connected to it, she would be able to mark herself as Hispanic.

Yes, I am Hispanic and wonder if my daughter who was adopted from a non- Hispanic family qualifies as a minority?

I think not.

No, she cannot check the Hispanic box. You can check the qualifiers for NHRP. I would not advise checking the box as it will backfire on her.

I disagree with @wisdad23 and @goingnutsmom. When I worked for the US Census Bureau they taught us that Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. Hispanics can be any race.

Since @Ksaludster is Hispanic and his daughter has been raised in his culture she is, indeed, Hispanic. She is also whatever race she identifies as. In my opinion, she should be checking at least 2 boxes, one for race (African-American, Caucasian, etc.), and one for ethnicity (Hispanic).

I guess now we can all be whatever we feel. Might be time to do away with the check boxes.

@WISdad23 not true, you are part of whatever ethnicity you grow up as. Hispanic/Latino as a culture envelopes many different races. I am white, but I am hispanic, why? Because I was born in Mexico and have Mexican parents. Since it is an ethnicity it may be transferred from parents to children regardless of race. Same goes for american born white hispanics. I have a friend who speaks fluent Spanish and is very connected to her Guatemalan heritage, however she is white as can be(ginger actually) and was born in the us. When she checks boxes it goes caucasian(hispanic).

Make sense? It’s not choosing whatever you want.

If we use the NHPR definition then the student needs to trace their biological roots to the Hispanic culture. It’s pretty specific about the countries that it includes.

If I understand this correctly the OP is the Hispanic adoptive father of his wife’s daughter whom he adopted when she was 10 years old. So the daughter has no Hispanic biological heritage. She is Anglo white. Yes, it’s great that she has embraced the Hispanic culture of her adoptive father but this doesn’t make her Hispanic.

Sorry, but I think that the reason she wants to check the box is for whatever boost it might give her application which to be honest I don’t think it’s that much of a boost anyway.

Yes, Hispanic is an ethnicity not a race. There might be a more interesting essay though in her story.

I’m pretty firm on this but it’s only my take on it.

I don’t even understand what the migrant worker reference means in the post…

Sorry, I made an assumption about the Anglo white race being the race of the daughter. The post does not identify the race.

MODERATOR’S NOTE:
I am closing this thread. I don’t understand the title vs. the post, and OP has never responded to @doschicos ’ request for clarification. Indeed, he has not been here since posting the thread. Since this question is user specific, and other users can look at the many other threads on this subject.