I came from another country and I don't know what will I do?

I will look at the Hope Scholarship. Thank you for your great advice :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Look into the calvin coolidge scholarship. You might be eligible to apply. It is difficult to get but worth the attempt

@bsmdpro, This is a ridiculous suggestion. In order to be eligible, OP would have to be a junior now, at the moment, they’re not and don’t know whether they can repeat a year. And the first selection criteria on the list? Distinguished academic record. Uncommon academic depth and intellectual curiosity. And then they provide Jonathan Salk as an example of what they’re looking for. Okay, you don’t need to have cured cancer, just polio? Look at the examples of current Coolidge scholars provided, they haven’t cured polio but just about.

OP has two years of Turkish grades, one year during which she moved so probably grades all over the place and still struggles with English and standardised testing going into what, at this point, must be considered senior year.

OP, please do not expect an outside scholarship to materialise. The chances are tiny and in your case, probably nil. You must carefully select where you apply because your best chance to get enough money to attend will be through the university that accepts you and wants you to enrol. And you need to start researching this now, because if anything, the financial aid system in the US is even MORE opaque than admissions.

There are three types of university where there is a chance to get enough money to attend:
Public colleges in the state you live, ie Tennessee. This may be a community college, such as NSCC or a four year university such as Middle Tennessee State or even the flagship, university of Tennessee at Knoxville, or a combination of community college and four year university. I I From what I understand, you must apply for financial aid directly to the college, and also apply for the Tennessee promise (remember, Nov. 2!) for all of these, which will cover tuition, apply for student loans up to 5000 USD for the first two years, 6500 and 7500 for the last two. And your parents must document that they are low income by filling in the application form called FAFSA and providing recent tax returns, which may be complicated in your case, so if you cannot repeat a year in high school, get on it!

There are also public universities in other estates that give fairly generous scholarships. Arizona State, university of Alabama at Huntsville, university of New Mexico, New Mexico Tech are examples. You will probably not have the profile for those, applying with only one year of US high school under your belt and no or only middling SAT scores. You would have to research how each college would view your high school record.

The hardest and least likely option: private universities with rich endowments. Ivies, NESCACs, schools at a similar level which accept between 5 and 20 % of their (heavily preselected) applicants. I do not think you have the profile for those either, from the information you have provided, but if you explain a little more what the equivalent of your Turkish qualifications would be in the US, what classes you are taking now and what grades you are getting, people might be able to help you more.

1 Like

Hey people! I wanted to inform y’all after a while. I took an offer from 2 universities in Tennessee. One of them is University of Tennessee at Martin and other one is Tennessee Tech University. Also, I am in the National Guard, so I figured out money for school. I took ACT for 2 times. I took 18 from first one and other one was 19. I am still trying to improve my point for better schools. Thank y’all for your helps.

14 Likes

Thank you so much for coming back and giving an update. We are all rooting for you! And remember, there is also the SAT, and some kids do much better on one than the other.

And you have already been admitted to two colleges. If you are a HS senior now…I am not sure continuing to take the SAT or ACT is needed, or will help you with admissions this year.

3 Likes

Thank you so much

Thanks for your advice