I consider myself Hispanic, but is that enough?

<p>Biologically, I am only 1/16 Mexican (Mestizo/Mixed). I've read a lot of CC forum posts on this subject, and the consensus seems to be that it is unethical to claim "Hispanic" ethnicity with only a small fraction such as that, with the possible exception of those with a direct link to the culture (through family). </p>

<p>Now, the Mexican portion of my heritage is very important to my biological mom, but I was adopted and did not know her until six years ago. Growing up, I had no ethnic identity. I had no way of knowing what I was. No particular "culture" was celebrated in my guardian's home, except for the traditional corned beef on St. Patricks Day, but I never considered myself "Irish." When I reconnected with my biological mother six years ago, she broke down our lineage. It's mostly a very mixed European background, with about 1/16 Mexican heritage and 1/16 Apache. At that time, I didn't know very much about Native American cultures in general, let alone Apache culture specifically. But I had studied Spanish, and gained a strong understanding of it. I had learned about Mexican culture. I had celebrated the Day of the Dead. I had a good starting place to start connecting with that portion of my heritage. Since then, I've continued studying Spanish (though I'm not fluent yet), and I've surrounded myself with elements of Mexican culture. I've adopted a Mexican belief system. I can cook Mexican food, I listen to Mexican music, I've learned a bit about the art and history of Mexico, and I've even read a bit of Mexican literature. My mom is trying to find out more about that part of our family, and if she can remember the name of my nearest Mexican relative, I am considering changing my name. I also would like to live in Mexico for a time and experience the culture first hand, when I have money to put where my motives are. </p>

<p>Now, I've also reconnected with my father's side of the family since then, and found out that I am more than 50% Germanic (German and Dutch from his side, and a bit of German from my mother's). Of course, this is also very important to me. But I've spent more time around Latino culture than German culture, and feel more comfortable with it. If you asked me if I am Latino or Hispanic, I'd tell you yes without hesitation because that is who I've become. If you asked me if I am German, I'd also say yes because that's where most of my blood lies. </p>

<p>So my question is whether it is still unethical to claim "Hispanic" on applications since I don't have a direct familial link to the culture, despite that I consider it my culture after years of education and assimilation. I take great pride in it, and will do anything to preserve it, but is pride enough? </p>

<p>The text of the rules is fairly murky about what race can be claimed. In your case, the rules don’t prohibit you from claiming Hispanic status, and I don’t see how it would be unethical in your case. </p>

<p>@Santisima,</p>

<p>I applaud your sense of ethicism. But I presume the reason you are asking in the College Admissions forum the question:

is that you know if you check the Hispanic box, you get the admissions preference that comes with it.</p>

<p>This begs the larger question: if you look entirely white and are struggling to classify yourself as Hispanic on the basis that you:</p>

<ul>
<li>studied Spanish</li>
<li>celebrated the Day of the Dead</li>
<li>cook Mexican food</li>
<li>listen to Mexican music</li>
<li>even read a bit of Mexican literature,</li>
</ul>

<p>then why can’t my son do the same? He does all of those things and more. </p>

<p>For some applications 1/4 Hispanic is the rule and I’d take that as a reasonable guideline. </p>

<p>@BrownParent, I haven’t seen that noted before. Do you know which applications? </p>

<p>Oh, I see I wrote that is a way that could be misleading, sorry. I meant some guidelines for claiming Hispanic. Like for NHRP, not for college applications. Thanks for asking.
<a href=“For Students: National Recognition Programs - BigFuture”>College Board - SAT, AP, College Search and Admission Tools;

<p>OP, on reflection, I think it won’t be considered unethical to check White and Hispanic if you want to on college apps. Checking both seems a bit more aboveboard.</p>

<p>@GMTplus7, does your son long to preserve any heritage from a Hispanic/Latino ancestor, to revive a long-lost part of his heritage? You say he celebrates el Día de los Muertos. Does he do this every year? Has he adopted an otherwise culturally-Latino belief and values system? More generally, is Hispanic/Latino culture the culture he considers his own? If yes, then yes, he can do the same. Anyone can cook and eat food or listen to music, but it takes years of education and assimilation to understand the details and sentiments of a culture. </p>

<p>Furthermore, you said: </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>But I’ve already said that: </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I am not struggling to identify myself, nor should anyone simply because they are white. Ethnicity is not necessarily linked to race. I am asking if it is unethical to do so for “official” purposes, given that my connection to the culture is through my own work, education, and assimilation rather than through family. My question is not whether or not is ethical to consider myself Hispanic in general, which I do and always will, but specifically at this time under the circumstances above. It is a very specific question that does not require any “presumptions” on your part. If you have an answer to that specific question, feel free to provide it.</p>

<p>@BrownParent, you cannot be 1/4 Hispanic. You are either Hispanic or you are not. It is not a race. Race is the group of physical characteristics common to a people in a geographic region; e.g., bone structure, height, complexion, hair texture, etc. It is an ethnicity. Ethnicity is the cultural characteristics common to a group of people, regardless of race; e.g., the beliefs, values, art, literature, music, food, and other elements of culture celebrated by a group of people due to common history, even if they differ in race. You can be 1/4 (or less) Indigenous or 1/4 (or less) Caucasian, but in either case you can be “Hispanic/Latino” if that is your culture. There are Hispanics of every race and all races. Racial percentages don’t indicate ethnicity.</p>

<p>So yes, I would check both, because I am racially white and ethnically Hispanic. </p>

<p>I think the ethical supportability of OP checking the “Hispanic” box increases with the amount of time it’s been since he/she decided to adopt a Mexican belief system, etc. If it was in middle school, and it’s been really consistent since then, I wouldn’t have much problem. If this transformation occurred half-way through junior year in high school, I’d advise against checking the box.</p>

<p>Why don’t you read the NHRP link I gave for the guidelines. OK then, by your rules you are not Hispanic. You were not raised that way or knew you had a drop of relation until recently. You didn’t have a parent or grandparent in the culture. Your are a tourist trying to enjoy the culture, just like many people. Clearly you are grasping at straws. Cook mexican food indeed.</p>

<p>@Hunt, I’ve been embracing Mexican culture since my freshman year of high school, through language studies and participation in cultural activities. But I was not aware I had Mexican ancestry and did not resolve to assimilate into the the culture until the summer before my senior year. However, I do agree that the more years I spend as a part of that culture, the more deeply ingrained it becomes. Culture develops over your life. </p>

<p>@BrownParent, what I specified above is not “my rules,” nor does any of it preclude a person not raised in a particular culture from assimilating into it later on. Many Latino communities are known to embrace those who just married into the culture late in life and with no biological claim, let alone those with even a fraction of biological heritage or years of assimilation after adoption. If I am not Hispanic because I was not raised in a Hispanic community or practicing Mexican culture, then no Hispanic/Latino who was adopted and separated from the chance to embrace that culture at a young age can be considered as such. It’s nonsense, because if I was not adopted, I would have learned of my Mexican heritage at a very young age and it would have been the culture I grew up in. </p>

<p>And the sarcastic reference to the food is unnecessary. Food is just one element of a culture. I can also cook Indian food. Hell, I studied Indian philosophy for several years, too. But I don’t consider myself Indian. Why? First, because I have no biological link to it, and second, because I never assimilated into any Indian culture. I don’t speak an Indian language, practice an Indian religion, follow an Indian values system, read Indian literature, or identify in any way with any element of India. Clearly, my claim is more than food. </p>

<p>

Many people will think you are a fake. Even if, in your heart, you’re not a fake, many, many people will think you are trying to gain an advantage that you don’t deserve. What I suggest is that you decline to indicate whether you are Hispanic or not on your application forms, and instead write an essay about this.</p>

<p>Isn’t this kind of late, by the way? Are you looking for approval for something you already did?</p>

<p>I wouldn’t. Ethnic diversity on campus isn’t so much about people who “choose” to be an ethnicity. Cooking Mexican food, learning Spanish, celebrating Day of the Dead… seriously? Most kids do that in our state in school as part of their regular education. I’m all for embracing your heritage. Absolutely! However, 1/16th bloodline doesn’t count for anything college related (1/4 or higher) that I’ve seen and I do believe it would be unethical to use it. </p>

<p>@Hunt, yeah, I know a lot of people think I’m fake. I’ve heard everything from the Tumblr SJW types that I’m a worthless racist appropriating something I have no rights to, to just people who think I’m lying about my passion for the culture. But I’ve met a few along the way who are supportive. A few native Mexicans (native in that they live there, not that they’re indigenous) I’ve met have said that what I’m doing is a good thing and that I should continue to grow in the culture. Those people are part of the reason I have become secure in this identity. </p>

<p>And no, I’m not looking for justification of past deeds. I haven’t gone to college yet. I made a series of poor life choices after high school and ended up homeless. I’ve been working my way back up over the past several years, but it’ll probably be a couple more until I can afford to go. So no, I haven’t checked anything as of now. </p>

<p>@BrownParent, the NHRP is most likely designed to benefit Hispanic and Latino people of color, if not specifically those with immigrant parents or grandparents who cannot afford to support their child’s education. I am not interested in qualifying for that program because I do not need its benefits. I am not financially well-off, but I am not a person of color and would not take from someone who needed it more. </p>

<p>So, prove your interest is genuine and not motivated by a hope for advantage.</p>

<p>By the way, the additional facts you’ve just added make your posts seem kind of trolly. Just saying.</p>

<p>@Hunt, what additional facts? </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I don’t know much about adoption, but aren’t the people who adopt you your parents? If they took the trouble to cook corned beef on St. Patrick’s Day, somebody in that house identified themselves as Irish. I don’t know many Irish families who celebrate the culture beyond the traditional corned beef and cabbage dinner, although if it’s not too cold out they may attend a local parade. Other than that, I don’t know what traditions you’d expect people of Irish descent to engage in, except drink Guinness and cheer on Notre Dame maybe. None of them I know do that either. </p>

<p>@austinmshauri, that family was extremely abusive, physically and emotionally. I do not consider them my family. That is perhaps one of the reasons why I never identified with them or their customs. </p>

<p>There have been a few cases in the news of people who claimed they were ethnically associated with a culture and when it turned out they weren’t racially that ‘culture’ it didn’t go down well with either those in the ethnic group or others. Elizabeth Warren is one, who claimed she was Native American, but really isn’t. Part of her claim is that she was raise in Oklahoma and was raised to believe she was, loved the culture, etc, so that was enough. And she probably WAS since she was in that environment. But she ISN’T and no one was happy that she claimed she was. Ethnically, she can ‘feel’ NA, but she just be part of a group that doesn’t those who ‘feel’ NA.</p>

<p>Another was a U of Colorado ETHICS professor who also claimed to be Native Amer., or at least part. He had a lot of other claims, but when it was proved (not difficult) that he just ‘felt’ Indian, those groups turned against him too.</p>

<p>My daughter is Chinese. Racially. Ethnical, she’s 100% American. Grew up in America, likes country music, American sports, surfer clothing. She does like Chinese food, but so do I. She does claim ‘Chinese’ on the race question only because she doesn’t want to mislead anyone, but she doesn’t feel Chinese.</p>

<p>Ask yourself this: If your bio mother told you you had 1/16 Greek blood, would you claim Greek ethnicity? Would you want to ‘find yourself’? Have you put the same effort into your German heritage? Why or why not?</p>

<p>I don’t really think it matters for admissions any more. You are claiming ‘white’ as your race. If you claim “white of Hispanic background” it will be recorded that way, but I doubt the college admissions office cares very much. California public schools can’t consider it.</p>

<p>OP, what a ■■■■■ does is throw out an extreme scenario, and then when anybody questions any part of it, the question is answered with some other extreme circumstance. Thus, if I inquire why you’re asking this question now, when applications are all done, you explain that it’s because you’re out of school, but homeless. When somebody asks you about the customs of the family that actually raised you, we find out that they are abusive.</p>

<p>These things may all be true. But this is how ■■■■■ posts typically go. Again, just saying.</p>