I don't think I want to go here anymore...

Madison was never my top choice, but I didn’t get accepted to either of the schools I preferred over Madison. Right now I’m really regretting not applying to any of the other schools in the UW system because I just cannot see myself happy there. :frowning: Pretty much the only reason I chose UW-Madison was because it was the least expensive of the colleges I got accepted to (and I’m still digging myself into a huge hole by attending). Every time I’ve gone to campus, I haven’t been impressed. I think it’s just too many people, too big of a school… I don’t know for sure, but I know I most likely won’t thrive there. I got my room assignment and I’ve been talking to my roommate, and she seems cool but even still I really don’t want to go to this school. What do I do?

It’s hard to believe you can’t find a niche at UW-Madison.

You may just be feeling a bit of anxiety. You’ll, without a doubt, find friends within your classes in your major. If after a couple semesters you still feel this way, know you can always transfer. Like most people on here though, I can’t see any way you won’t fall in love with the school. Every day you go to class, the campus gets a little bit smaller.

Also feel proud that you are going to the state flagship. There are countless people out there at other UW System schools trying their absolute hardest to get to where you are going. The tuition is higher, but the quality of the education is worth every penny.

Go with a positive attitude. Do not let the campus size scare you. Like any big place the UW campus is a set of neighborhoods- just as a big city is really a set of many neighborhoods. No matter if you are in one of the large tower dorms or a smaller one you will find you have a house of far fewer people to see daily and get to know. Plus- you do not need to know everyone or be friends with them- no different than a small campus. You will figure out how to escape people by exploring different areas of campus. It could be places along the lakeshore or part of one of the many libraries.

You are in college primarily for the academics. Choose your courses wisely. This means starting with some that interest you in/for your major plus one of a wide variety to meet the breadth requirements. One nice thing about a large school is the choices you have to explore fields you never thought existed in HS.

Do not worry about your roommate. All you need to do is share a space civilly. There is no need to be friends. You will meet others on your dorm floor to eat with et al first semester. You will not be the only one who ends up at the flagship by default.

Eons ago I did NOT want to go across town to UW. But- between finances and available choices back in the dark ages (pre internet) it became my default. Found my niche. There are all kinds of people on a large campus so you can find like minded people. It does take some work- you have to find the activities, the world will not come to you if you just sit in your room. Even if your dorm seems to be on the “wrong” end of campus you can go to your preferred areas. Walks out to Picnic Point or down State St are completely different options. Do not worry about not being one of the crowd either. It takes time to settle in.

Of course, if you have made an effort to find things you like to do and places to be plus chosen classes that sound interesting and still do not like UW you can transfer. Since you were accepted to UW (and so many at the other state schools wish they had been) you will be able to immerse yourself in academics if nothing else so your year will be productive. It is a new world for all freshmen and definitely not limited in size or opportunities like the other schools. Do not let yourself be overwhelmed with the choices. Pick those you like and don’t worry about anyone else.

Have you schedule your SOAR yet? What are your areas of interest? My own student did a FIG, which he still says was a wonderful introduction to academics at UW, he had three courses with the same group of 20 kids – including one seminar class. It provided an instant bond and study group, and he is still friends with them three years later. Take a look at the FIG offerings this year, is online somewhere, to see if there is anything you are interested in. FIGs are usually 2 or 3 clustered classes, around a common theme. It could be a language plus science and a literature course, or something similar.

What about Honors program, if you are in Letters & Sciences? You can apply during freshman year, and that can provide another smaller, more focused academic environment. Honors offers Wed evening faculty talks and pizza get togethers. You can take Honors courses even if you aren’t in the Honors program yet.

There are lots of ways to create a smaller academic community. The academic opportunities are phenomenal. My kid has gotten excellent, competitive internships coming out of UW, and was surprised to see the schools his co-interns are coming from – and he feels better prepared than they are, since he has worked closely with his professors and has written a ton.

UW can be all kinds of different experiences, depending on a student’s choices. Focus on the positive, have fun at SOAR, it will work out.

Lots of non-academic activities as well, @twirlergirl42 …have you considered putting your baton twirling skills to use - perhaps on the dance team or in marching band?

(From your posting history: music education major with an interest in marching band, experienced in baton twirling).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVAZXZfIlNk

http://www.uwbadgers.com/spiritsquad/dance.html

https://pubs.wisc.edu/ug/ls_music_education.htm

http://badgerband.com/field-assistants/join-the-band/

It is a big school but you will notice that the same people are doing to breakfast at the same time as you and you will start seeing the same people as you walk to class. Marching band would give you a whole new set of possible friends outside of those you will meet in the dorms.

Similarly, I was forced into going to UW because it was the only school I got into. I didn’t want to go. I was afraid of the size, of the proximity to home… hell, I didn’t even visit campus I was so apathetic.

2 years later, I’m in love. I’ve made so many friends, had such great and unique opportunities. I’ve explored subject areas and bizarre topics that only a university of this size could offer. Enjoyed anonymity in the classroom and in the student body when I wanted it, but I’ve still been able to stand out when it mattered.

I fell in love with a subject area, received a fully paid for month long study abroad trip to China, will be spending my next year in Madrid. I’ve forged bonds with world-renowned faculty members and lived, loved, and thrived in the world’s best college town.

It doesn’t get better than this. Give Madison the chance it deserves. You will not be sorry.

@adamjr4 What are you studying?

Nothing fancy – just political science.