I got waitlisted at UCSD. In the meantime, should I apply to SMC (Santa Monica Community College)?

After getting my decisions back, the only good news is I got accepted into RIT and waitlisted at UCSD and GeorgiaTech.

My plan is that if my UCSD waitlist doesn’t go through, I’ll just go to SMC then transfer to USC or UCLA.

Since I won’t hear from my waitlist for a while, should I just apply to SMC right now (in anticipation to start classes during the Summer semester) or should I wait to hear from the waitlist first then apply as soon as possible afterward?

My fear is that if I apply and enroll in SMC, then my waitlist for UCSD is approved, complications may arise where I can’t back out of SMC or something else like that.

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would apply and enroll somewhere prior to May 1 so you have a good backup.

You can always withdraw from any school you have enrolled if you are admitted for UCSD’s waitlist, so I would not worry about it. Get your backup plan in place.

1 Like

@Gumbymom Thank you so much for the reassurance. You are a godsend :slight_smile:

I would wait till you’re for sure going to SMC. Applying and getting admitted to SMC literally takes about 15 minutes, as its automated. getting classes arent bad as well because lots of professors let students crash the first week. Wouldnt hurt to wait until your waitlist status is updated.

PS; I go to SMC at the moment, great school, great atmosphere, and great faculty. Transferring out for fall2020.

1 Like

Apply for the Scholars Program at SMC. The Scholars program has a 90% acceptance rate for transfer students to UCLA. It’s truly a great program.

1 Like