I have a C in one of my electives for Q4, all of my other classes (Even AP classes) are A+. How bad will this bad grade in an elective affect me?

I’m a junior. I’ve done my best to keep straight As, but got a C in Q4 for my ACT elective class (regardless of the 27 I got in the ACT). Am I doomed? I have A+ in all my other classes.

1 Like

I would say (as a senior who’s graduating HS)- you’re not doomed at all, to say the least. I’ll ping someone who can chime in- if you want help with figuring out a college list and all, feel free to PM me- I can be of some help, hopefully. /warmly, reassuringly

@AustenNut (i’m pinging you because I don’t have much to add here even though I just went through the process myself!)

2 Likes

Those are my final scores, if that helps with giving advice

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! Your report card shows that you have been been excelling in the course expectations at your school.

In looking at the report card it appears as though the columns are 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, Semester 1 grade, then 3rd quarter, 4th quarter, Semester 2 grade. Thus, it appears as though you had a 100 in ACT Prep Skills for 3rd quarter and a 75 for 4th quarter, giving you an 88 grade for 2nd semester.

Do you know why you earned a C in the 4th quarter?

You may want to ask your high school counselor what the transcripts look like that are sent out to colleges. Oftentimes, it is only semester grades, so only the B would be visible for that class, and not the C. But when looked at holistically with all of your other grades, I don’t think that the ACT Prep Skills grade is really going to have much of an effect.

How do your grades compare to others at your school? You may also want to ask the counselor for your approximate class rank (top 5%, 10%, 20%, 30%, etc). Alternatively (or additionally), you can ask for a copy of the school profile that is given to college admissions offices.

If you need any assistance it formulating a college list (there will be many options available to you), just let the board know.

To answer your original question, you are not doomed. You are on the road to a bright a future!

3 Likes

You have straight As and one C. Of course you’re not doomed.

The C you have - ACT prep skills - isn’t a core class and it looks like your next semester grade came back.

Even if In a core class, there’s be tons of schools for you. But you’d want to ensure (in a core class) that you knew material b4 moving on.

Get the idea of perfection out of your mind - it’s not healthy and doesn’t need to exist.

1 Like

Depending on the colleges you are targeting…I’d be more concerned about the 27 ACT score than your grade in this ONE class. Of course, where allowed, you can go test optional.

2 Likes

Also there’s time to take it again and lest not forget a 27 is the 85th percentile !!!

100% agreed with your note.

1 Like

Is a 27 bad?.. At our school, that’s one of the highest marks in our class… If it is, how can I improve? The ACT elective… does not really help me with the exam either…

@Morning_Latte thats about the 85%ile.

What colleges are you sort of thinking about. This ACT is fine for many schools. And not fine for others. And there is always test optional!

And really…your college application isn’t just about the ACT. There are a lot of colleges where you will be welcome as a student. Please don’t fret.

I can try and get a higher one on the summer? I just wasn’t focusing on it as much since AP exams take up so much time

Exactly…AP exams would be the priority right now.

But back to your subject question. One C grade isn’t going to make or break your college applications.

Ok, thank you! (I already finished with my AP exams btw, so I can focus on the ACT now?..)

3 Likes

As @tsbna44 mentioned, a 27 is in the 85th percentile, so better than what 85% of students who take the ACT get. Most colleges in the U.S. would be happy to accept a student with your grades and a 27 on the ACT. If, however, you’re interested in the most selective (rejective) colleges in the U.S., then that score would not help your application. But there are many fine universities where you get can get a good education with your current stats.

I would only suggest studying more for the ACT if you need it to hit a certain scholarship threshold. What schools are you interested in? Has your family run the Net Price Calculators to see if they’re affordable?

I like journalism, psychology and criminology, so any university that has either of those careers. As I am a low income student… I do need to apply to scholarships… I’ll work on getting a higher ACT on the summer then… I’m just not sure how to yet…

If you are a low income student, your state may have special options available to make higher education affordable for you. Which state do you live in? Also, although it’s great that you plan to apply for scholarships, most scholarships come from the colleges themselves.

Are there areas of the country that you would like to focus on? Can your family contribute any money to your college education?

@Mwfan1921, would QuestBridge be a good option to consider for this student?

I live in Texas near the border. I got into the QuestBridge College Prep summer program if that means something?

1 Like

Then look into Questbridge as well.

2 Likes

Ok!

This may help if you plan to prep before taking the ACT again.

3 Likes

Definitely consider applying to Questbridge’s National College Match program, info:

https://www.questbridge.org/high-school-students/national-college-match

Most QB matched finalists have an EFC of 0, and most finalists have family income <$65K. Do you know what your parents can afford to pay each year for college?

What is your HS rigor like…what proportion of your classes are honors/APs? Have you taken core classes in each of the 5 core subject areas (Eng, Math, SS, FL, Science) each year? What math will you have senior year?

1 Like