I really hope to get in

<p>I am a senior, and I was recently just rejected from Northwestern Early Decision to Medill. I know that I am not valdeldictorian or perfect 2400 sats or anything, but my essays were very very good. I had been in contact with my northwestern admissions officer through email, and I sent them two articles that I have written supplementally and two activites sheets. I showed a lot of passion through my application, even though I had less than stellar grades (those were explained in my recommendations from Guidance Counselor and teacher). I am also a minority (African American). I thought I may have had somewhat of a chance, and the rejection email did shake me up a bit. But life goes on. I just hope I get Barnard. I have explained that Barnard is my my number one choice as of now. My recommendations explained all that I have had to go through during my high school years, such as having a terminally ill father and a mother who has been intstutionalized three times, and also a breast cancer survivor. This is on top of my own kidney disease that I have been born with. So, my low GPA (3.0 out of 4, and 3.5 out of 5), has been explained. I have taken a total of 8 regular college preporatory courses, 17 honors, and one AP (World History). I have excellent extracurricular activites, (Violin since third grade, part of string orchestra, pit orchesta for musicals, and full orchestra, also junior year I was member of the music honors society. I have also been a copy editor for the school paper in tenth grade, and contributing writer in 11th and 12 grades. Ever article I have written for the paper has been published, and our paper has won an Honorable Mention each of the last four years at the annual conference of the New England Scholastic Press Association. I am also president/creator of my high school STAND chapter, which is an antigenocide coalition) My volunteering hours have been about 220 altogether. I guess my point is that I believe that intellectually I am far above my peers at school, and clearly my grades do not reflect this, although they are explained. My SAT score was 1720 out of 2400, so that was not too great either, however my essays I feel are the strongest part of my application. I show my mature and intellectual ability through my writing, and I hope the admissions officers can see this. I want them to see that I would really thrive at Barnard. I also just had an interview two days ago and the interviewer (alumna), said my "enthusiasm and inquisitiveness made quite an impression on her" and that I "would fit right in at Barnard". I hope that the Barnard admissions officers can see that I am capable of suceeding at the college. I feel that I am a very strong young woman and I hope that Barnard can see this. My parents seem convinced I will not get in ANYWHERE. Do you think that Barnard may accept me and that I may have a chance?</p>

<p>You have a chance, but, as you mention, your gpa is quite low. There are other candidates who also had life-changing incidents occur to them during high school and were nevertheless able to maintain their high gpa. It also depends on the quality of your school. A 3.0 at a high-ranking school is certainly better than a 3.0 at a low-ranking school.</p>

<p>That said, I know of a couple of kids with much higher stats than you who were also rejected from Northwestern last week. Sometimes, there is just something that they are looking for that you don’t have. Try not to take it personally.</p>

<p>Don’t give up hope, but make sure that you have good safeties in hand.</p>

<p>Thank you “dignified1” for your post. My school is around number 25 in the state, with around 98% of students attending four year colleges. I guess one of the unfair things at my school is that so many students have high GPA’s that rank wise, their GPA’s differ from “.ooo1” of a point. There are about 150 students out of 350 that have GPA’s over a 4.0 on a 5.0 scale. So, clearly my rank is low and not at the very top of my class. However, at another school my rank may have been significantly higher. I know a friend at another MA school that has a lower GPA than me unweighted of a 2.8, yet she is still in the top 20-25% of her class. It it just so hard to judge my chances for admission. My interview for Barnard went spectacular, as well as for Bryn Mawr too. My Wellesley interview was good as well. I feel that I made a very good impression on these colleges. I just hope that as they read my essays they can see that intellectually I am very capable. My grades are not a very good indicator of my intellectual ability and how well I would do in college.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>So, it’s not impossible for you to get into Barnard. I’m applying and it’s a reach for me too (I have leadership positions, strong SAT scores, and several major national awards, but my GPA is a killer: 3.2 unweighted). Have you considered looking into Smith or Mount Holyoke? They’re similar to Barnard, with excellent academics and opportunities, but they’re a little more holistic, I think. Maybe look into some of the other Seven Sisters as well. :)</p>

<p>Thanks for your post “girlcanDISCO”. I am applying to Smith as well, and I am trying to get an interview some time soon, and I applying to Bryn Mawr and Wellesley (both of which I had good interviews). I am also applying to Umass amherst (I’m from MA), DePaul (in Chicago), BU(I am a legacy since both of my grandparents graduated from there, and my aunt is a grad of the law school and is a donor), USC, and maybe Emerson since my mom graduated from there. Do you think that I would have a good chance or a shot at these schools?</p>

<p>Weak SATs and a weak GPA.</p>

<p>Why even bother posting this?</p>

<p>Retake the SAT and shoot for 2000+. Your GPA isn’t high enough to save it, so you need to retake if you want to go to a prestigious school.</p>

<p>“Keile” Clearly I have a weak SAT score and weak GPA. But that is not all that is looked at. That is absolutely NO reflection towards my academic ability. I posted this, because I wanted to know if I had a chance with all things considered. “Nosike”, I do not believe I am eligible to retake the SAT. It may be too late.</p>

<p>Some schools accept the January SAT. I know that Bryn Mawr does.</p>

<p>I can’t chance you as I’m not an admissions officer. :)</p>

<p>Technically, you do have a chance, but even all things considered, your scores and GPA are pretty low. Have you taken the ACT? Maybe you can score higher on that. I know many that have. I’m sorry about your difficult situation and I hope you get into a college that fits you perfectly :)</p>

<p>Did you ever get in?</p>

<p>Hi I am a rising senior who has a GPa of 3.3. I know it’s low and that’s because I messed up my freshman year and first semester of sophomore year and now have an upward trend. I have a 1910 SAT score and have an essay talking about having cancer this past year. I am also taking classes this summer to increase my GPa and plan to apply early decision in the next couple months. Do I have a chance?</p>

<p>You have many chances but can’t particularly say exactly for what.</p>

<p>You are not likely in the running for Ivy League.
You may be in the running for competitive state schools like UVA, UMich, etc.
There are schools that would offer significant size scholarships for your SAT score like most HBCUs
Maybe some smaller liberal arts schools that are academically rigorous but often struggle to attract minorities to campus are in the running.</p>

<p>Your SAT gives you options, your GPA takes a few options away. However, you are not in terrible shape at all. A 3.3 isn’t something to cry about as some on here sometimes do.</p>