IB HL Lit and LangLit Difference

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>I'm currently choosing my classes, and I was just wondering how American colleges perceive the two subjects listed above.
I love both subjects, and when I looked at the questions, I thought that LangLit fit me much better. However, I love reading english literature, and I thought that choosing a subject from looking at one mere exam paper is not the correct method I should use.
So I'm going to ask you guys. Do colleges value scoring a 7 in Literature a lot higher then scoring a 7 in LangLit? If you guys were wondering, I want to major in Economics.</p>

<p>Help me out guys!</p>

<p>This is what I heard from my IB Lit teacher
If you are going to take LangLit than you will focus on topics (books, narratives, essays…etc) that are similar to those of Lit
Yet, Lit’s primary focus is the analytical site of literature while LangLit’s primary focus is the grammatical site of literature
My predecessors in school recommended me to take Lit instead of LangLit because the British grammar is different from the American grammar</p>

<p>Sorry I can’t give you any suggestion about your future major because I am not going to take economic as my major in the future
Hope this will be helpful</p>

<p>First: I looked up the course syllabus of both syllabus and have taken AP Lit and HL English Lit myself.
Second: @DanielHsieh, that is a gross understatement and a misrepresentation of what the courses are. BOTH courses focus on analysis, they differ in their approach though. Lit focuses more on genre tropes, cultural tendencies, time period etc. Literary techniques such as diction, style, and author’s perspective are also examined in Lit. In Lang Lit these literary techniques are considered as well as the text type (i.e letter, essay, poem) and the focus is on the effects on the reader as well as the context and inner conflicts of the text. In this manner Lang Lit is more analytically about the inner workings of the text while Lit is focused on the text as a whole and the background of the text and genre.
In short they both are quite analytic and consider the same factors, but focus on different aspects.
I would think either would be equally helpful for a major in economics, but an argument can be made that on a Macro scale Lit would be more effective as you would be looking at the cultural and contextual factors that effect a book and its intended audience. Truly though, the analytically skills learned in either course would be equally helpful to you not just in Econ, but in any major. (I found them especially helpful in my APUSH and TOK classes btw)</p>