IB Question

<p>Does being in IB give you some sort of benefit in admissions? I mean, does being in IB with bad grades give you a better chance than being in AP classes with the same grades? Or are they given equal consideration? I feel that only the IB kids at my school are the ones that go off to really good colleges, is that true? Since I'm not in IB, I'm kind of worried that just being in AP classes with good grades won't be enough, since I chose not to take IB at my school. Will I be denied admission because I chose not to take IB at an IB school?</p>

<p>If IB is at your school, then you probably should have done it. Like everyone says, colleges like to see that you tried yourself at a rigorous curriculum. Even though it’s exhausting work, it all pays off in the end, as MANY IB students have found university classes a breeze.
And no, whether you are AP or IB doesn’t really matter; some colleges like IB, and others AP, many both. It just depends on how heavy a courseload you take. You won’t be denied admission, of course, your chances just might decrease a bit. I know a lot of AP kids from IB schools who got into Ivy leagues, and a lot of IB kids who did too. Besides, many things matter, not just high school courses: SATs, ACTs, class rank, gpa…</p>

<p>I agree with the poster above me: AP vs IB will not make or brake you in many situations. Some Universities are notorious for loving IB, but the same goes for AP. I took IB diploma program and supplemented SL exams with AP tests. I loved how IB prepared me for high level course work. It taught me to love learning for the sake of learning and appreciated moral standing and multiple perspectives; it emphasizes that nothing is truly black or white. </p>

<p>I value what I learned in IB, but I do not think it is imperative. I think I would have been a completely different person with out it, but that was because I had to go to a completely different school to get access to IB Program. </p>

<p>That being said, if you aren’t into rigor, AP is a very good choice. (Not that AP isn’t rigorous, but for the specific tests I took, AP was a breeze as opposed to my IB work). </p>

<p>Furthermore, AP is well respected. Especially in the US, various colleges recognize AP more than they do IB.</p>