I'm interested in applying to Harvard, and here are some achievements I achieved while in high school and during my gap year

Here is another question. Apparently you took a gap year during the 2022-2023 academic year. If you haven’t already applied for admission to another college…you won’t be starting until fall 2024. Applications for this fall are done.

So…does this mean you are giving up your spot at University of Chicago…they clearly state that a second gap year is seldom approved.

2 Likes

If affordable, I’d recommend you attend UChicago in the fall.

2 Likes

As per your new chance-me thread, it looks like you want to apply to a whole new set of schools?

1 Like

I’m going to be very honest here…and frank.

This thread makes absolutely zero sense. If you actually did take a deferral from University of Chicago, I can’t imagine any reason why you would not be enrolling there this year. Looking for additional schools to apply to…for admission for the 2024-2025 academic year doesn’t make sense. This will make you two years out of high school…how does this make any sense at all?

So…please explain why you are not enrolling at University of Chicago…

5 Likes

Also please detail your admission results from your first application cycle.

ETA: meant to reply to thread rather than @thumper1

2 Likes

OP, you sound like a fantastic student and an addition to any college campus. So do the rational thing…if you are interested in a Bachelor’s degree from a US university…and can afford U Chicago…take the acceptance and run.

Your reasoning may seem quite sound to you. But to anyone else it makes no sense.

If you have better options in another country, if you are doing mandatory military service, if your family cannot afford Chicago…then pursue a less expensive degree outside the US. But giving up an acceptance to Chicago to take a flyer on Harvard seems crazy.

10 Likes

You are likely confusing the fact that 14.8% of the admitted class was international with the idea that 14.8% of international applicants were admitted.

5 Likes

Regarding the admit rate for internationals, Harvard’s David Card report which was submitted as part of the SFFA lawsuit, provides information that allows this to be approximated in combination with Harvard’s Ivy Day admission announcements. Card’s report can be accessed here: https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/files/diverse-education/files/expert_report_as_filed_d._mass._14-cv-14176_dckt_000419_033_filed_2018-06-15.pdf
Harvard admission announcement for Class of 2019 can be found here: Harvard College admits 1,990 – Harvard Gazette

On page 13 of the Card report, the number of domestic (non-international) applicants for each year from 2014-2019 is listed. The proportion of admits that are international is released by Harvard each year on Ivy Day.

For the Class of 2019 (admitted in 2015), 37,305 students applied to Harvard, of which 26,568 were domestic, so 10,737 were international. 1990 students were offered admission, of which 10.8% were international. Thus ~1775 domestic offers and ~215 international offers. 1775/26,568 gives an acceptance rate for domestic applicants of 6.6% and 215/10,737 gives an acceptance rate of 2% for international applicants. Across the years for which Card provides data, the numbers are similar with about ~28% of applicants being international, and the admit rate for internationals being about 2%.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.