I'm scared for NHRP?

<p>I got a 226 on the PSAT, and that means there is a pretty good chance I will qualify for NHRP. I am half Brazilian (father's side), dual citizen of the US and Brazil, and speak/understand a decent amount of Portuguese. My family has bene there for 300+ years. </p>

<p>See, I look very stereotypically white. Blonde hair, green eyes, super pale skin. Some people know I am Brazilian, but most don't. Brazil is a grey area country, so some organizations consider us to be latino while others do not. NHRP specially says Brazil is included. </p>

<p>My school announces the winners of NHRP, National Merit semi-finalists, etc. (and all those other PSAT awards), so if they call my name it's going to be SO AWKWARD. What do I tell people? </p>

<p>Unless your GPA is under 3.5 (which likely is not the case), then your should be a lock for NHRP Scholar. So be proud of your achievements and if anyone asks, just explain to them that your NHRP honors are a result of your Brazilian heritage. Clearly, not everyone in Brazil looks they spend 7 days a week playing volleyball on the beaches of Rio. Again, another opportunity to educate people about your country of origin. </p>

<p>With that PSAT score, I’m sure you’ll do great with or without NRHP honors. Good luck! </p>

<p>@arc918 so if my counselor filled out the form and verified that my GPA is above 3.5, am I guaranteed to be recognized as a National Hispanic Scholar?</p>

<p>From what I understand, you should be. Depends what part of the country you are from, but the I haven’t seen any cut-offs over 195. Check the last couple pages of this thread. </p>

<p><a href=“National Hispanic Recognition Program - #766 by MeTexn - Hispanic Students - College Confidential Forums”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/640730-national-hispanic-recognition-program-p52.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>You don’t tell people anything. If anyone asks, you say “Did you know my dad was from Brazil? The NHRP’s rules say that you have to be at least 25% Hispanic and I am 50% by their reckoning.”</p>

<p>Just want to add that I recently went to the NHRP website and they have added a way to have qualified students nominate themselves. I am sure that the school must verify stats but a student doesn’t have to depend on school to nominate or start the process. This would have been helpful to my son because his school dropped the ball on the process and it wasn’t until I stepped in to contact the school that they moved on it. So he would have missed out completely. </p>