I'm wallowing in self-doubt...HELP!

<p>Sigh. I really really really want to get into Columbia, but I'm afraid my app isn't up-to-par with most of the other applicants I come across. I'm obviously African-American because I'm posting this thread for the African-American community, female, and number one in my class as of now at least...2160 SAT 1 (800 Crit Read 640 Math 720 Writ), 27 ACT, 4 AP Bio. I'm taking the SAT 2s in the fall. You see my problem is that I'm the youngest in my class and my familial situation is unusual. Everyone else was in their prime in their junior year because that's when they started driving and then working. I haven't been able to do a lot of things after school because my baby sister was born and I had to take of her b/c my mother works the night shift at HUP and my dad commutes to and from Manhattan. I live in NJ...the driving age is 17...so as you can imagine me staying after school for a long time for some activity is not only inconsiderate, but unrealistic. I'll finally be able to drive late in my senior year which is when I'll be able to start working and staying after school and volunteering and such. The problem is all of the wonderful things I plan to do with my newfound independence will happen after I send out my applications. Yes, I'm fairly strong academically, but when it comes to extracurriculars or community service and employment I start to hate myself when I see how much more everyone else has in those areas. What do I do?</p>

<p>State your baby-sitting situation in your application. I think Columbia University will understand your unique situation.</p>

<p>I agree with Entertainer. Also consider that among elite universities Columbia leads in the statistical rankings for enrolling the highest percentage of Black first year students. </p>

<p>Along with your strong academic background you just need to clearly express your personal profile, interests, and accomplishments. If done properly, they will not only understand your unique situation, they will also admire your demonstrated maturity and level of responsibility. What you are currently thinking is a liability could very well be used as one of your strongest attributes. </p>

<p>Don’t sell yourself short, kiddo! :)</p>

<p>oh I never looked at it that way FLVADAD…thanks!</p>

<p>Don’t worry, you’ll be alright. Explain your situation with details.
I’m applying to Columbia too = ]</p>