In a pickle...

So I am in a bit of a pickle. I have finished off my 4 semester at CC with a very low gpa of 2.18 (due to certain circumstances).

I really really want to transfer to A&M but obviously my gpa doesn’t even meet the minimum of 2.5 to apply for transfer. Right now I am at 59 hours and will be taking 9 hours in the summer. One of the classes I am taking during the summer is a math class that I did bad in during winter minimester (I received a D). I am also taking 16 hours in the fall (also retaking another math class I received an F in) and hope to bring my gpa up to about a 2.7. By the end of fall I will have completed my associates and will “graduate” from my CC. (I will have 84 hours by the end of fall)

Do I have any chance of getting into the College of Ag and Life Sciences at A&M? Will retaking the class I got a D in be pointless?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked here?

http://aglifesciences.tamu.edu/future-students/transfer/

It depends on your major. Each major in the CALS has different minimum requirements. Some are 2.5, some 2.75 and some 3.0. Some require specific pre-reqs and grades of a C or better in those pre-reqs. Math seems to be one that they want a C or better in.

I think somewhere there is a requirement you must complete your last 60 hours in residence at TAMU, so coming in halfway through a junior year might be a problem. I need to look that up though.

I don’t know the certain circumstances you have had that resulted in less than a B average at CC but if they have not been fully addressed you should consider whether you can really handle the work at TAMU.

http://student-rules.tamu.edu/rule14

Rule 14.20 seems to say you have to get your last 36 hours at TAMU, not 60 like I thought.

If I were you, I contact the advisor at the link above for your specific major and ask your questions.

i would also come up with a back up plan - maybe Texas Tech or TAMU Commerce?

Thank you for your response @gettingschooled. I have tried to contact an advisor and haven’t gotten a response in about 3 weeks now, so I’m assuming they’re on vacation or something.

I have another for you. Say the school does not have any recommended (required) coursework, but I do have all the classes completed in the additional coursework area. Do they look at a gpa for just those courses AND a cumulative gpa or is it just the cumulative gpa they look at?

It appears they look at the cumulative in that case but I am just looking at the same website you are. I don’t have any insider knowledge. Have you tried asking at TexasAgs.com in the academics forum?

No I haven’t, but I’m sure it will be pretty helpful. I will check it out.

Thanks for your help @gettingschooled!

For the best information call the Aggieland Prospective Student Center and talk to an admissions counselor their number is (979) 458-0950 or email Admissions@tamu.edu - that way you will get correct information.