In need of Inquiry

So a month ago I go accepted into Virginia Tech under the geosciences program. I don’t really want to major in Geosciences, I just needed a major to get me into Tech. Meanwhile, I have signed up for AFROTC and have gotten an ELS scholarship(about 8,000$ paid for college if I stay in all four years). I would like to start a career as an Air Force Officer (I am aiming to be a pilot) after I leave college. To make myself more versatile, I would prefer a degree in aerospace/mechanical engineering, computer science, or chemistry/physics. I am aware these degrees require a heavy workload, and I am prepared to take extra time to complete them. However, I am not quite sure which one I should do, and I would like advice on how I should proceed. To give you an insight on how I am doing, here is my HS academic transcript:

• 3.6 UW GPA, 4.02 W
  • Class Rank: 40/537
  • SAT's: 1270/1600(650 Math, 620 R+W)
  • AP's/DE's and Scores:
  • Sophomore Year: Human Geo(4), Honors everything else, Computer programming
  • Junior Year: US History(4), Honors everything else, PLTW Engineering Class
  • Senior Year: AP Physics 1, AP Statistics, DE English 12, DE US/VA Government, Honors Calculus, PLTW Engineering Class
  • EC's:
  • Robotics member 9th grade
  • Martial Arts member 9-11th grade
  • Worked at Panera Bread 11th grade
  • MUN member 10th grade
  • Varsity XC/Track 11-12th grade
  • Concert and Symphonic Band 9-12th grade(1st chair senior year)
  • Church YG member 9-12th grade

Here are also my thoughts on each degree:

Engineering:

• Probably the hardest one to get in terms of workload. I'm not sold on this one because of my mixed performance in my STEM classes. So far this year I've done so so in AP Physics(I did not take regular physics beforehand) earning a low B in the class so far. I am studying for that AP test right now. I do enjoy learning about it, but sometimes I struggle with the concepts behind it. Meanwhile, in Calculus, I've done a little better(high B), but I feel as if my teacher doesn't push me. I don't know if this will hurt me later on. However, I have done well in my PLTW class engineering projects with my teacher giving me the lead on the hardest project, and I've earned an A all year long.

Computer Science:

• This one I am eager to try, but I would like to know more about it. As stated in my transcript, I have attempted Java programming before, and I program for my engineering class frequently. I also understand that this degree requires some knowledge in mathematics and the hard sciences, which I am prepared to tackle. I have a deep interest in computers, which I hope will serve me well should I choose this degree.

Chemistry/Physics:

• This is more of my backup major set. In case if I squeak on the above two, I can always go for these.

So what do you all think I should do?

bump

Engineering and CS (which I believe is also in Engineering) are difficult to transfer in to. So, I would consider Physics / Chemistry. Also, look at your first year Geosci classes as they may include Chem and/Phys so you would have those out of the way. Other than that, I have no other advise. Sorry.

@bboop42 I did a lot of research on the engineering dept. at VT. I have read they are lowering the GPA requirements (from 3.2 for 2017 to 2.0 for 2018 application cycles) Do you think this means it will be easier to transfer in?

I have also read that you can select up to three preferences for a desired engineering major. My preferences are(in descending order) Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science. Do you think this range will increase my chances of getting in?

Lower GPA will not help in transferring into CoE. Students with lower grades still won’t get in because there are so many with higher grades. And a 2.0 student would very likely not be able to get through the engineering classes.

Don’t think your choices on their own will help getting in. VT has said they will rank all CoE transfer candidates by GPA. Highest GPA gets 1st chance at getting in. If there’s space available in 1 of the 3 eng majors requested, they get the spot. Then onto the 2nd highest GPA and so forth. It will come down to your GPA and which majors have vacancies.

Aerospace is typically one of the highest GPA eng majors in VT CoE. And it’s not a big major so unlikely to have a lot of spots available. You will probably need outstanding grades to have a chance at it. ME and Computer are among the largest and most popular majors, so maybe more space available but because they are so popular you will still need really good grades to get a spot.

This being the 1st year for the new approach makes it a learning curve for all. There’s no published data that would suggest how many typically transfer into CoE in a given year by major, so we may find the reality to be totally different than expected. Who knows how it will go in the end…