In state? out of state? UC advantage

<p>so i applied to some UC’s and i am out of state. but i will get instate tuition because my dad has lived in california for 5 years. because he has payed california taxes which go to the UC’s do i have the instate advantage? at the end of my applications they asked if a parent lives in california. i ask because i know instate applicants get priority consideration for acceptance. so what do you think?</p>

<p>opinions por favor???</p>

<p>With regards to tuition, I suggest reading the rules very carefully. For example, they say this
[quote]
Students who have not been living in California with intent to make it their permanent home for more than one year immediately before the residence determination date for each term in which they propose to attend the University must pay a nonresident tuition fee in addition to all other fees</p>

<p>You may be able to derive California status from a California resident parent if you move to California to live with that parent on or before your 18th birthday. If you begin residing with your California parent after your 18th birthday, you will be treated like any other adult student coming to California to establish residence.
UCLA</a> Registrar's Office: Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes FAQ

[/quote]
By "treated like any other", you can interpret that to mean "impossible"</p>

<p>well usually instate people has a higher chance but for next year they are trying to accept more out of state people (pay higher tuition) aha stuff like that</p>

<p>I should amend my remarks above. It seems a little murky (at least to me) what the rules are after you've been in CA for over a year and you have a parent who qualifies as a CA resident but another who doesn't. Maybe at that point you get the in-state rates, or maybe not; I dunno ....</p>

<p>If you look at schools like UCLA it is damn near impossible for an out of state student to gain admission. I believe the in-state percentage to out of state is 96% to 4%. I was planning on applying to some UC's but opted to apply to USC because of the disproportioned favor given to the state students. If they do treat you as an in-state student your most likely a shoe-in.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you look at schools like UCLA it is damn near impossible for an out of state student to gain admission.

[/quote]
Not even remotely true. According to the UCLA website, 28% of the OOS applicants were admitted compared to 22% of the CA applicants. See UCLA</a> Undergrad Admissions: Profile of Admitted Freshmen, Fall 2008</p>

<p>Exemptions from Nonresident Tuition
You may be entitled to an exemption from nonresident tuition if one of the following applies to you. Some of the exemptions are for a limited period of time. Check with the Campus Residence Deputy for more information:</p>

<p>(5) Dependent child of a California resident. A student who has not been an adult resident for more than one year and is the natural or adopted dependent child of a California resident who has been a resident for more than one year immediately prior to residence determination date. The student must also maintain full-time attendance in a California public postsecondary institution. The exemption is available until the student has lived in California long enough to become a resident.</p>

<p>-this is off the UC website. so because my dad lives in california i know that i get instate tuition. am i considered instate? do i have an instate advantage for admission purposes?</p>

<p>The only difference between an out of state applicant and an instate applicant are the minimum requirements needed for UC Admissions; the minimum GPA for out of state students is a 3.4 versus a GPA for instate students of 3.0. This is for minimum eligibility! If the student is eligible they will be reviewed like all other applicants.
It might only be slightly more difficult to be admitted because out of state schools might not offer as many "a-g" courses. If the applicant prepares properly they can be just as competitive as an instate applicant.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If you look at schools like UCLA it is damn near impossible for an out of state student to gain admission. I believe the in-state percentage to out of state is 96% to 4%.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not even close. If you use UC Statfinder, you'll find that the hard numbers (test scores + gpa) are not much difference for instate or out-of-state for the big two state flagships -- they are highly competitive regardless of where you live. The fact that UC is 90+% instate is due to costs. Why pay $45k a year for a public school bureacracy when for nearly the same price (or much lower with merit money), you could attend a private, and have samller classes and more personal attention.</p>

<p>OOS applicants face a slight disadvantage in that none of their non-AP/IB honors courses are granted honors points. But BB is exactly right that the UCs aren't nearly the great educational bargain for OOS students.</p>